Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd of July 2012 (Tue)   #1
swldstn

Default Back button focus question on 5D Mark III

On the 5D Mark Iii it's real easy to set the main button to do only exposure but there does not appear to be away to change the AF-On or AE (*) to focus only like older models. You can set them to Exposure & Focus but not to Focus only like the ones that required using the CF IV menu.

Am I missing something?
Gear List
swldstn is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of July 2012 (Tue)   #2
John from PA
Goldmember

Default Re: Back button focus question on 5D Mark III

You might want to go to the thread below (which I started), then jump on over to the on-line tutorials that Canon has prepared on the 5DIII. One of the topics cover back button focusing and may be of help in setting up the camera.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ight=tutorials
John from PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of July 2012 (Tue)   #3
amfoto1
Cream of the Crop

Are you wanting to reverse the way the buttons function or wanting it to not start metering (and IS)?

If just wanting to swap AF-On and AE Lock (*) button functions...

Yes, you are missing something. Custom Function IV - 2: AF-On/AE Lock button switch. Set to Option 1: Enable. That swaps the function of the two buttons.

If wanting the back button to only do focus, then no...

When you have Back Button Focus set up on the 5DII, the back button you choose to use will also start metering (and IS on lenses that have it). A half-press of the shutter release button also starts metering (and IS). Only focus start/focus run is moved to the back button exclusively.

I really can't think of any situation where this would be a problem. Maybe if you told us what you want to do or what problem you are having, we might have a solution.
amfoto1 is online now   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of July 2012 (Tue)   #4
swldstn

It appears to me that on my 1D Mark IV custom function CF IV-1 gives you

2: Metering start / Meter + AF start

I mistakenly thought it was. Meter start / AF Start so I guess the 5D Mark III sets up identically. My error.
Gear List
swldstn is offline   Reply With Quote