FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 03 Jul 2012 (Tuesday) 05:48   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

swldstn
Joined May 2007
939 posts
Maine
[MORE/SHARE]

On the 5D Mark Iii it's real easy to set the main button to do only exposure but there does not appear to be away to change the AF-On or AE (*) to focus only like older models. You can set them to Exposure & Focus but not to Focus only like the ones that required using the CF IV menu.

Am I missing something?

Post #1, Jul 03, 2012 05:48:43

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2003
5,294 posts
Southeast Pennsylvania
[MORE/SHARE]

You might want to go to the thread below (which I started), then jump on over to the on-line tutorials that Canon has prepared on the 5DIII. One of the topics cover back button focusing and may be of help in setting up the camera.

http://photography-on-the.net ...01319&highlight=tut​orials

Post #2, Jul 03, 2012 09:52:42

amfoto1
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2007
10,050 posts
San Jose, California
[MORE/SHARE]

Are you wanting to reverse the way the buttons function or wanting it to not start metering (and IS)?

If just wanting to swap AF-On and AE Lock (*) button functions...

Yes, you are missing something. Custom Function IV - 2: AF-On/AE Lock button switch. Set to Option 1: Enable. That swaps the function of the two buttons.

If wanting the back button to only do focus, then no...

When you have Back Button Focus set up on the 5DII, the back button you choose to use will also start metering (and IS on lenses that have it). A half-press of the shutter release button also starts metering (and IS). Only focus start/focus run is moved to the back button exclusively.

I really can't think of any situation where this would be a problem. Maybe if you told us what you want to do or what problem you are having, we might have a solution.

Post #3, Jul 03, 2012 11:09:15

Alan Myers
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3) & other cameras, various lenses/access. - FLICKRexternal link - PRINTROOMexternal link

swldstn
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2007
939 posts
Maine
[MORE/SHARE]

It appears to me that on my 1D Mark IV custom function CF IV-1 gives you

2: Metering start / Meter + AF start

I mistakenly thought it was. Meter start / AF Start so I guess the 5D Mark III sets up identically. My error.

Post #4, Jul 03, 2012 15:55:14

Steve Waldstein
---------------
Love to Shoot - a Digital SLR (and now a Mirroless ILC) are my weapons of choice
Gear List

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,427 views & 0 likes for this thread
Back button focus question on 5D Mark III
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES