Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 5th of July 2012 (Thu)   #1
Steve GT

Default Help!!! Err 30 code on my new 1100d

Hi guys in need of a bit of help*

Had my Canon eos 1100d for a week now. It's been working totally fine up until yesterday in which were getting an err 30 message on the screen after we take a picture. If you click the take picture button with this message displayed it dissapeares to let you take another picture but then happens again when another picture is taken. It won't let you take continuous shots just one at a time followed by an err30 message

The whole message says the following
" shooting is not possible due to an error. Turn the camera off an on again or reinstall the battery"

We did what it said and still nothing

If this helps when these problems started we had the lens that came with it which was a canon efs 18-55mm and we put a 18month old 4gb San disk HC SD card in it.*

We've since bought a new Sd card which is a much better San disk extreme 8gb 30mb/s 200x read write hd card but still with this new ad card the err 30 code still appears

Anyone got any ideas please. Thanks a lot

Steve
Steve GT is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of July 2012 (Thu)   #2
Midaso

Default Re: Help!!! Err 30 code on my new 1100d

Error 30 would indicate something's wrong with the shutter.
Did you buy this new? If so, i'd suggest you exchange it.
You could also try to reset it, by taking the battery out, and the small lithium battery, which can also be found inside the battery compartment.
Leave them out for half an hour or so, put both batteries back in, and see if that helps.

Let us know if this helps ok? Good luck!
Midaso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of July 2012 (Thu)   #3
watt100
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve GT View Post

Had my Canon eos 1100d for a week now. It's been working totally fine up until yesterday in which were getting an err 30 message on the screen after we take a picture. If you click the take picture button with this message displayed it dissapeares to let you take another picture but then happens again when another picture is taken. It won't let you take continuous shots just one at a time followed by an err30 message

" shooting is not possible due to an error. Turn the camera off an on again or reinstall the battery"

If this helps when these problems started we had the lens that came with it which was a canon efs 18-55mm and we put a 18month old 4gb San disk HC SD card in it.*

We've since bought a new Sd card which is a much better San disk extreme 8gb 30mb/s 200x read write hd card but still with this new ad card the err 30 code still appears

Steve
if you have tried the battery change, lens contacts, etc. then take it back, a new camera should not have error messages !
watt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of October 2012 (Sun)   #4
yasasMx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve GT View Post

Steve
I have this same exact error (err 30) coming up on my 1100D also.
But in my case it's bit different.

1. I get this error in any mode
2. However, Even though the error raised, if i turn off the camera and
turn it on again i can see the captured image is there.
3. Only thing is i cannot review the image as soon as i capture it,
it just show me the error. But the image is actually saved in the SD card.

4. After clicking the photo (get the error),
then i need to press half way down the capture button and
after that if i hit the play button to review the image. it's there.

So my point is can't this be a firmware bug ?? instead of a shutter issue ?
because the image is actually captured

Please help some one
yasasMx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of October 2012 (Sun)   #5
Yogi Bear

From the explanation for Error #30, it appears that there is a shutter malfunction: http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resou...ror_msgs.shtml

"Err 30: Shutter malfunction
Unlike Error 20, this one does point to some sort of problem with the shutter… it could be either a mechanical problem, or some sort of electronic communication error."

I can't think of a DIY solution for this so, it looks like you need to send the camera in to Canon for service.

Is the camera still under warranty? Where do you live?

Yogi
Old 22nd of October 2012 (Mon)   #6
Billy_Hollywood

Hello all,

I just purchased a new T3 and it has that problem with "Err 30". The guy I purchased it from got it to work for a little while so I bought it. Then it would not work anymore after a few days. So I did much research and came across this sight. I found a repair shop in Glendale California that will fix this problem with a new shutter. They charge 168.00 dollars which is better than the 300.00 dollars that Canon charges. If you want the information on this repair, send me an e-mail. Thanks. I now think that this is a recall item for Canon. Canon should fix it for free on new cameras. I have XTi's that I have roller bladed hundreds of miles across Los Angeles with. Dropped them repeatedly and they still keep on working. I cannot afford to buy the professional models.
Billy_Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of October 2012 (Mon)   #7
rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?

Sounds like an epidemic of ERR 30 here...I wonder what's up?
Old 4th of February 2013 (Mon)   #8
nuni82

Angry Re: Help!!! Err 30 code on my new 1100d

I have this error too. I bought my camera in September 2012 and my camera started showing this code on late October. I was on vacation in early November and the camera started working normally again (must've been the magic of being in Disney World...) but then went back to this error again.
I called Canon and they said I have to send my camera in to get repaired. I wonder if it's really a recall. I'd love to get the t3i or even T4i! Hopefully I can have my camera back soon.
nuni82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of February 2013 (Mon)   #9
mwsilver
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Hollywood View Post
Hello all,

I just purchased a new T3 and it has that problem with "Err 30". The guy I purchased it from got it to work for a little while so I bought it. Then it would not work anymore after a few days. So I did much research and came across this sight. I found a repair shop in Glendale California that will fix this problem with a new shutter. They charge 168.00 dollars which is better than the 300.00 dollars that Canon charges. If you want the information on this repair, send me an e-mail. Thanks. I now think that this is a recall item for Canon. Canon should fix it for free on new cameras. I have XTi's that I have roller bladed hundreds of miles across Los Angeles with. Dropped them repeatedly and they still keep on working. I cannot afford to buy the professional models.
You indicate it new, but i suspect you mean new for you. If you bought it privately and have no warranty I would go back to the seller and ask for a refund. Not exactly sure what "The guy I purchased it from got it to work for a little while so I bought it." means. If there was a problem but he was able to work around it, you probably never should have bought the camera in the first place, but in any case if you've only owned it for a few days you should demand a refund and not spend a dime on repairs.

Canon 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma18-35 f/1.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50mm f/1.8, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, Lightroom 5, Elements 11
mwsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of February 2013 (Mon)   #10
mwsilver
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuni82 View Post
I have this error too. I bought my camera in September 2012 and my camera started showing this code on late October. I was on vacation in early November and the camera started working normally again (must've been the magic of being in Disney World...) but then went back to this error again.
I called Canon and they said I have to send my camera in to get repaired. I wonder if it's really a recall. I'd love to get the t3i or even T4i! Hopefully I can have my camera back soon.
Luckily for those that purchased it from an authorized dealer the cost for repair will be covered except perhaps for the shipping.

Canon 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma18-35 f/1.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50mm f/1.8, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, Lightroom 5, Elements 11
mwsilver is offline   Reply With Quote