Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Urban Life & Travel Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th of July 2012 (Sat)   #1
csondagar

Default Road trip to Oregon Coast - looking for photo locations

I will be going on a road trip to Oregon Coast (down south to Lincoln City and up back to Seattle through Coast highway). During this trip, I want to maximize my new EF 24-105mm f/4L lens!

Please suggest some location and ideas to take photographs.

My Website | flickr | 500px | 7D, EF 50mm f/1.8, EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III USM | Speedlite 430EX | Reflector Disk 5-in-1 110cm
csondagar is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of July 2012 (Tue)   #2
Largo703

Default Re: Road trip to Oregon Coast - looking for photo locations

I would suggest starting in Astoria and driving all the way to Brookings, OR. You'll need few days and there will be some great places to stop and photograph. You want to shoot Astoria in the evening and after sunset, Garibaldi, Ecola State Park, Cannon Beach then the Three Capes, Newport and south of there. The best stretch of the coast is between Gold Beach and Brookings but you want to be there in the afternoon for best light. Then I would just return north by I-5. Bring wide angle and a tripod.
Old 15th of July 2012 (Sun)   #3
KirkS518
Goldmember

Go way down to the Sea Lion Caves. They're always fun. Go to the park near Astoria that has the sunken schooner (I can't remember the name of the park, but it's named after some guy). Depoe Bay is a great photo-op also.

If you have the time (about 1.5-2 hours each way), go to the Columbia Rover Gorge. Probably one of the most well kept secrets of beautiful scenery in the world. The Oregon side is faster (I-84), but the Washington side is a prettier drive (SR-14).
KirkS518 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 19th of July 2012 (Thu)   #4
KCMO Al

Where to start? There is so much to see out there. Just one absolute recommendation...Cannon Beach at sunset. The haystack rocks off the coast are some of the most photogenic scenery anywhere. If you have the time, Crater Lake is just a short drive inland.
EOS Lenses: Sigma 24-70 f2.8 EX - Canon EF 17-40 f4.0L - Canon EF 24-105 f4.0L - Canon EF 35 f1.4L USM - Canon EF100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM - Canon EF100 f2.8 Macro - Other stuff: MR 14EX - 430EX - 580EXII - ST-E2 - TC1.4x - TC-80N3
KCMO Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of July 2012 (Thu)   #5
cbadie

Bring a point and shoot and put it in your golf bag.......and play Bandon Dunes!
http://photo.net/photos/clarkbadie
cbadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of July 2012 (Mon)   #6
KirkS518
Goldmember

One of my favorite places on the coast, is Ecola State Park. Otter Crest is also great, but not a lot of parking areas there. I moved from there (Portland) a few years ago. and I'm having trouble remembering great spots.

But, as KCMO Al says, there is a ton of stuff. The entire coast is beautiful, and while places like Haystack Rock is awesome, there are so many more 'roads less traveled' all along the coast.

50D, 20D IR Conv, Rebel XT, Rokinon 8mm FE, Canon 10-22mm, Tamron 17-50mm nonVC, Canon 24-105L, 50mm Mark I, 40mm 2.8 STM, Canon 85mm Canon 1.8, Canon 100mm Macro, Tamron 70-300mm VC, Super-Takumar 50mm 1.4, CZ Biotar 58/2, and a bunch of other stuff
KirkS518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of July 2012 (Tue)   #7
Littlejon Dsgn
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkS518 View Post
Go way down to the Sea Lion Caves. They're always fun. Go to the park near Astoria that has the sunken schooner (I can't remember the name of the park, but it's named after some guy). Depoe Bay is a great photo-op also.

If you have the time (about 1.5-2 hours each way), go to the Columbia Rover Gorge. Probably one of the most well kept secrets of beautiful scenery in the world. The Oregon side is faster (I-84), but the Washington side is a prettier drive (SR-14).
The Gorge is a 2 hours from the coast to get into the good part of the Gorge, I live just outside of Troutdale which is the gateway to the Gorge, and the drive home from Canon Beach is about 2 hours (going a bit faster then supposed to go too).

Sea Lion Caves are fun, very stinky, not sure I would make a special trip for it, but if its on the way worth the stop.
Littlejon Dsgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of July 2012 (Tue)   #8
LHeyden

If'n you like fish and chips, the best place is just across from the Maritime Museum in Astoria. Looks like a little roadside coffee shop, but it is the best darn fish and chips I've ever had! Plus the museum is pretty cool too.

7D, Canon's 70-200mm f/2.8L (non-IS), 55-250mm IS, 28-135mm IS, 100 2.8 Macro, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, and Tamron's 17-35 2.8-4
LHeyden is offline   Reply With Quote