What exactly did I shoot?

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk
Thread started 07 Jul 2012 (Saturday) 13:19   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

armis
Joined Jan 2012
816 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I took a shot of the night sky on holiday, thinking I had the Milky Way. Turns out, well, it doesn't quite look like what I expected of the Milky Way (and what's that big cluster there top left?). Can you guys help me find out what I have here? I tried looking up a sky map but can't really figure out how it works.

Also, what are your thoughts on the processing? Too dark, too light, too much color, etc.?

Here's some relevant data: I was overlooking Mount Bromo (Indonesia) facing south-west, give or take (my exact coordinates were 7.921831 S, 112.963445 E and you can see ). This was taken on June 13 around midnight local time - 4 pm GMT if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks! :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #1, Jul 07, 2012 13:19:59

Fuji X-E1, 18-55 and 55-200 zooms
www.wtbphoto.comexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
11,294 posts
In The Sticks
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm pretty sure that'd be the Milky Way. If you're in a dark location it's almost identifiable without the camera but you've gotten a nice shot of it here. Color looks good. You have a great shot here with the exception of what looks like cloud cover on the left.

Post #2, Jul 07, 2012 13:26:57

Atlanta Wedding Photographerexternal link | The Toys! | Facebookexternal link | Videoexternal link | Flickrexternal link
“I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion.”
― Sheldon Cooper

armis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2012
816 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

CameraMan wrote in post #14683895external link
I'm pretty sure that'd be the Milky Way. If you're in a dark location it's almost identifiable without the camera but you've gotten a nice shot of it here. Color looks good. You have a great shot here with the exception of what looks like cloud cover on the left.

Yeah, those were clouds. Only one night there though, so I took what I had (also, to be honest, I didn't really see them during the shoot, since it was so dark).

Huh, I kind of expected to see the classic almond-shaped cloud of light barred by the dark line along its length. Would I have needed more exposures to see all that?

Post #3, Jul 07, 2012 13:41:43

CameraMan
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
11,294 posts
In The Sticks
[MORE/SHARE]

How long was your exposure for this shot? Looks like you had the shutter open for quite a while.

Post #4, Jul 07, 2012 19:25:06

Atlanta Wedding Photographerexternal link | The Toys! | Facebookexternal link | Videoexternal link | Flickrexternal link
“I believe the appropriate metaphor here involves a river of excrement and a Native American water vessel without any means of propulsion.”
― Sheldon Cooper

SteveInNZ
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2007
1,292 posts
Auckland, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

It's a bit hard to tell but it looks to me like the Eta Carina section of the Milky Way. Eta Carina is a fairly large area of gas glowing from newly formed stars. You have a pinkish glow that's about the right shape and there are some some groups of stars in the right place. If that's the case then the southern cross would be just outside of the shot in the top left corner. The bright one right in the corner is probably the bottom star of the cross. Yes, you have got a section of the milky way.

Post #5, Jul 08, 2012 00:48:01

"Treat every photon with respect" - David Malin.

sponsored links
armis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2012
816 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

CameraMan wrote in post #14685041external link
How long was your exposure for this shot? Looks like you had the shutter open for quite a while.

I stacked 7 frames of between 10 and 20 seconds, ISO 3200 or 6400, f/2.8. I think DSS told me the total exposure time was around 2 minutes. I actually didn't go out thinking I was going to stack them (actually, wasn't even aware of the technique), which explains the uneven parameters of the shots. It's only when I read about DSS that I thought 'hey, maybe I could do that with all the crap I shot' :p.

@Steve: thanks! :)

Fiddled with some more stuff; better?

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #6, Jul 08, 2012 03:02:56

Desertraptor
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2005
11,154 posts
Adelaide, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Nicely done

Post #7, Jul 08, 2012 03:28:38

Peter
Canon 60D|40D|
Lens 10-22mm f2.8|50mm f 1.8|100mm f2.8 Macro

24-70mm f2.8L|70-200mm f4L|100-400mm f4.5-5.6L
Flash 430EX II
Telescope Skywatcher 600mm ED80 f7.5 GEM EQ3

cyberon
Joined Jan 2010
540 posts
Perth, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

This is the Eta Carina part of the Milky Way. Southern Cross will be near the top left corner of the image but is outside the frame.

Post #8, Jul 08, 2012 06:31:15

500D, Speedlite 430EX II, Lens : 15-85mm; 50mm F1.8 II; 100mm F2.8L IS Macro; 70-200mm F4L; Samyang 8mm F3.5
U/W : G11, OEM Housing, Inon S2000, Inon D4 Tray, Inon UCL-165 Close up lens
Astro : Modded 1100D, ES 80ED, Skywatcher HEQ5 Mount, Astrotrac TT320X-AG, Astronomik CLS Clip in filter

armis
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2012
816 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Cool, thanks for the info (and the kind words :)). So I need to go even wider to get the entire thing? What's the longest lens with which you can get the entire Milky Way in the frame (on a FF camera)?

Post #9, Jul 09, 2012 03:05:07

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
Joined Jul 2007
12,884 posts
Salisbury, UK.
[MORE/SHARE]

The milky way surrounds our planet, so it will fill the visible sky and then some! So lens wise you need to select something that shoots the whole sky if you want as much as possible in one shot.

Post #10, Jul 09, 2012 03:41:05 as a reply to armis's post 35 minutes earlier.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.comexternal link

e.shell
Joined Jun 2011
46 posts
Lehigh University
[MORE/SHARE]

great shot! I never thought of staking those photos either!

Post #11, Jul 13, 2012 11:49:49

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>E.SHELLDESIGNS.COMexternal link<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

sponsored links

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,065 views & 0 likes for this thread
What exactly did I shoot?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES