Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Nature & Landscapes Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th of July 2012 (Wed)   #1
jdaly

Default Colorado and Utah trip

Trying to determine which gear to take with me on this trip. Plan to visit RMNP, Arches NP, and Canyonlands NP's.

Think the 5d with 24-70 would work well or should I bring the 17-40? Was also going to bring the 70-200 2.8. I also have a 40D we could throw into the mix. Any thoughts on what would be a good range of lens to bring as well as which body?

Thanks, John
Old 11th of July 2012 (Wed)   #2
MCAsan
Goldmember

Default Re: Colorado and Utah trip

We go out there often. We are headed out again in October for 2 weeks. I would not even get on the plane without my 17-40 and 24-105.

For distance work we use 100-400. Or at least we used to. Two weeks ago my wife let her 100-400 do a face plant from a safari truck. Today it was shipped to Canon for repair. Thank goodness for equipment insurance!!!
Canon EOS 5DIII | 24-105f4L | 17-40f4L | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L | 100 f2.8L Macro | Canon EOS 7D | Tamron AF 18-270 f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD| Canon Speedlite 580EXII | Gitzo GT-3531S | RRS BH-55 | Lexar 32GB 600x & 1000x CF cards | Lexar USB 3 reader

www.ourimages.net
MCAsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of July 2012 (Wed)   #3
RAW RAW RAW

I take two bodies with me pretty much every where I go, 5D II + 16-35 and 7D + 70-200 (or 28-300 depending on what I am doing) and it works a treat for me and my style.....you could do the same.

I suggest 5D + 17-40 and 40D + 70-200.....awesome combo. You will find that you will almost never miss the gap in focal lengths AND never have to waste time changing lenses and risking getting dust in your gear and dropping lenses etc, particularly while traveling.

I find it strange that many people chase around trying to cover ALL POSSIBLE focal lengths when in reality it is just not necessary.

I'd go one step further and sell the 40D and the 24-70 and pick up a 7D body for the 70-200.....it just gets more awesome
RAW RAW RAW is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of July 2012 (Wed)   #4
jdaly

Thanks for the feedback!

What a weight difference between the 5d+24-70 vs. 40d+17-40. I'm thinking something lighter would be nice and the focal length is pretty much the same. And I do love the 17-40! We're heading there next week. Only taking one body. Then again, as I re-read RAW's post, by not taking the 24-70, that would still lighten the load even with 2 bodies. Hmmm....
Old 11th of July 2012 (Wed)   #5
RAW RAW RAW

Just do it......I carry the two setups (above) with a flash and a few other bits and pieces in a Think Tank Retro 20, it works very well for me.
RAW RAW RAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of July 2012 (Thu)   #6
Geonerd

What 'style' of traveling do you do?
"Auto tour?"
"Get out and hike!"
"Willing to walk a mile or less."

On occasion, a 'real' 17 will be rather handy, but a FF 24~70 would cover 90% of the shots I tend to make. (Your mileage will vary!)

Don't forget a decent tripod, so you can shoot twilight, star trails, any lightning that pops by, etc.
Old 12th of July 2012 (Thu)   #7
MCAsan
Goldmember

If my wife can carry her 7D and 5DII all over the place....you can definitely carry two with you.
Canon EOS 5DIII | 24-105f4L | 17-40f4L | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L | 100 f2.8L Macro | Canon EOS 7D | Tamron AF 18-270 f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD| Canon Speedlite 580EXII | Gitzo GT-3531S | RRS BH-55 | Lexar 32GB 600x & 1000x CF cards | Lexar USB 3 reader

www.ourimages.net
Old 12th of July 2012 (Thu)   #8
jdaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geonerd View Post
What 'style' of traveling do you do?
"Auto tour?"
"Get out and hike!"
"Willing to walk a mile or less."

On occasion, a 'real' 17 will be rather handy, but a FF 24~70 would cover 90% of the shots I tend to make. (Your mileage will vary!)

Don't forget a decent tripod, so you can shoot twilight, star trails, any lightning that pops by, etc.

Tripod.Yes! I keep forgetting about that. The one I have is rather big and I'm not so sure it'll fit in a suitcase. I am hoping to get off the beaten path from time to time. Rental car for the week. Doing the Fiery Furnace tour at Arches.
Old 12th of July 2012 (Thu)   #9
MCAsan
Goldmember

To get to Canyonlands Islands in the Sky from Moab, you drive north from town round 10 miles and turn left onto highway 313 that takes you to Islands in the Sky (around 15 miles ahead). Not far from the Islands in the Sky entrance is a road to the left to Dead Horse Point State Park. I suggest stopping there for the morning shoots. The you can proceed on to Islands in the Sky. http://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/dead-horse

Not far from the side road to Dead Horse State Park is the dirt road to Gemini Bridges. You can get there with a rental 4x4 (last time we did it with Rav4). That is a great area for a little hiking and shooting. I would NOT, repeat NOT, continue on that dirt road past Gemini Bridges towards the main road to Moab. Instead go back to highway 313 and use it to get back to highway 191.

I would suggest investing in the 3 volume set Photographing the Southwest by Laurent Martres. You can get them via Amazon.

www.ourimages.net

Last edited by MCAsan : 12th of July 2012 (Thu) at 14:30.
Old 12th of July 2012 (Thu)   #10
Numenorean
Goldmember

Well I use the 16-35, and the 70-200 mostly for my landscapes here in Colorado. The 24-70 wouldn't be too bad either.
Old 12th of July 2012 (Thu)   #11
bps
Cream of the Crop

Since you'll using a car, the answer is simple: bring all of your gear!

Bryan
Old 13th of July 2012 (Fri)   #12
jdaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bps View Post
Since you'll using a car, the answer is simple: bring all of your gear!

Bryan
Yeah, but it's also about loading it into my carry-on bag/backpack.
Old 13th of July 2012 (Fri)   #13
Cali_PH

When I went through Arches & Canyonlands a couple of months ago, I primarily used my 17-40 and 24-105. I did occasionally use a 70-200 too, and had a 5DmkIII and 60D, tripod, etc. Plus it was hot, so had to consider the extra weight of water, food, etc. (if you're going in less than a week, I'm guessing it'll be worse when you go). The good thing is that there are many 'typical'-but-beautiful locations in both parks that are very close to parking lots, so you won't have to carry a lot of heavy water/food on long hikes, and therefore can carry more gear...or make a short trip back to the car if you decided you needed something you left there. Of course, there are also lot of longer hikes where you'll have to be more judicious, if you choose to do those.
Cali_PH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of July 2012 (Fri)   #14
jdaly

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCAsan View Post
To get to Canyonlands Islands in the Sky from Moab, you drive north from town round 10 miles and turn left onto highway 313 that takes you to Islands in the Sky (around 15 miles ahead). Not far from the Islands in the Sky entrance is a road to the left to Dead Horse Point State Park. I suggest stopping there for the morning shoots. The you can proceed on to Islands in the Sky. http://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/dead-horse

Not far from the side road to Dead Horse State Park is the dirt road to Gemini Bridges. You can get there with a rental 4x4 (last time we did it with Rav4). That is a great area for a little hiking and shooting. I would NOT, repeat NOT, continue on that dirt road past Gemini Bridges towards the main road to Moab. Instead go back to highway 313 and use it to get back to highway 191.

I would suggest investing in the 3 volume set Photographing the Southwest by Laurent Martres. You can get them via Amazon.

Thanks for the tips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali_PH View Post
When I went through Arches & Canyonlands a couple of months ago, I primarily used my 17-40 and 24-105. I did occasionally use a 70-200 too, and had a 5DmkIII and 60D, tripod, etc. Plus it was hot, so had to consider the extra weight of water, food, etc. (if you're going in less than a week, I'm guessing it'll be worse when you go). The good thing is that there are many 'typical'-but-beautiful locations in both parks that are very close to parking lots, so you won't have to carry a lot of heavy water/food on long hikes, and therefore can carry more gear...or make a short trip back to the car if you decided you needed something you left there. Of course, there are also lot of longer hikes where you'll have to be more judicious, if you choose to do those.
Thanks!