Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Glamour & Nude Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th of July 2012 (Thu)   #1
ChunkyDA
Goldmember

Default Why put people in G&N?

Sure there is a reason for everything but why do some insist on putting photos in G&N that are neither G nor N ? Kind of wrecks the organization around here. Whoo look at me, I post in G & N
ChunkyDA is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of July 2012 (Thu)   #2
JDPhotoGuy

Default Re: Why put people in G&N?

Why ask why?

*slides across a Bud Dry*
*whistles innocently*
Old 13th of July 2012 (Fri)   #3
nathancarter
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyDA View Post
Sure there is a reason for everything but why do some insist on putting photos in G&N that are neither G nor N ? Kind of wrecks the organization around here. Whoo look at me, I post in G & N

So we're all on the same page, please define exactly what constitutes G&N.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of July 2012 (Fri)   #4
hawk911
Cream of the Crop

N is pretty clear, but G is open to interpretation. Some do it because the quality of comment can be better than "nice shot"... sometimes
HAWK Photography Gallery FB Fan page |_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Cacti, Interfit triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis
hawk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of July 2012 (Fri)   #5
ChunkyDA
Goldmember

wikipedia has a reasonable definition: Glamour photography is a genre of photography whereby the subjects, usually female, are portrayed in a romantic or sexually alluring way.
All I'm saying is that if I wanted to look at sports images but came across motorsports I'd feel like I wasted a mouse click. There's a separate forum for that stuff.
Just curious why some intentionally share in the wrong areas.
Old 14th of July 2012 (Sat)   #6
hawk911
Cream of the Crop

the sarcastic, but truthful answer is.... because they can.
HAWK Photography Gallery FB Fan page |_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Cacti, Interfit triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis
Old 17th of July 2012 (Tue)   #7
birderman

I think this also works the other way round probably more nocicably, pictures are posted in People section that are probably more akin to being Glamour.....I reckon this is happening because one needs to earn the right to publish to the G&N Sharing foroum so for those that have not yet achieved this posting in People is the next best thing........

my photos on Flickr
My Website or my Facebook - KishWphotos
birderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of July 2012 (Wed)   #8
charlesu
Goldmember

Frankly, I agree with the sentiment. A lot of what shows up in G&N these days is nothing but portraiture.

Prints of my work are available for purchase. Please contact me offline or thru PM if you are interested.
charlesu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of July 2012 (Wed)   #9
hawk911
Cream of the Crop

maybe it's a status thing.. hey look at me post in the "special" side of the board
Old 18th of July 2012 (Wed)   #10
ChunkyDA
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesu View Post
Frankly, I agree with the sentiment. A lot of what shows up in G&N these days is nothing but portraiture.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk911 View Post
maybe it's a status thing.. hey look at me post in the "special" side of the board
Yep, that what I was thinking. Sort of a recent development or possibly I just started to notice the trend.
Old 23rd of July 2012 (Mon)   #11
doidinho
Goldmember

I mentioned this to a mod a while back, but there was no interest in making any changes to the forums. Most of the non-G&N posts you see in the G&N forums wouldn't fit well anywhere else. All the other forums seem a bit too snapshot oriented if that makes sense. Until we get a Fashion/Beauty/Editorial forum the G&N forum seems like the best place to put those pics.
Old 23rd of July 2012 (Mon)   #12
hawk911
Cream of the Crop

^^ where's the like button? that's really what we need!
Old 23rd of July 2012 (Mon)   #13
NewEnglandPhotographer
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by doidinho View Post
All the other forums seem a bit too snapshot oriented if that makes sense.
As the attorney for "all the other forums" I'd ask you to recant your statement.
But seriously... just because other genres of photography are not shot in a studio does not make them "snapshot-y". It just so happens the G&N almost always HAS to be a formal agreement between photographer and model so as to not be illegal for some reason or another. If that means that all other genres of photos are snapshot oriented in relatives terms, than so be it; but considering that G&N photos are pretty much on one end of the spectrum while many other legitimate photos are on the other...

Remember, "snapshot" is often a negative term relating to photos that photographers do not appreciate. "Candid" on the other hand is simply a photo taken without particular planning. Maybe that is what you meant?

NewEnglandPhotographer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of July 2012 (Tue)   #14
nathancarter
Goldmember

How about a burlesque/cabaret performance? Too risque for the Performing Arts section but not posed-studio enough for G&N... guess I'll hoard them all for myself
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of August 2012 (Thu)   #15
F-stop Jonny

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyDA View Post
wikipedia has a reasonable definition: Glamour photography is a genre of photography whereby the subjects, usually female, are portrayed in a romantic or sexually alluring way.
To each their own, but I think that definition overly narrow, and not particularly reasonable.
F-stop Jonny is offline   Reply With Quote