Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th of July 2012 (Fri)   #1
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop

Default Eyepiece Extender for 7D, 5D Mark III

I found an excellent extender, after market, for the two cameras where there's a need to get your nose off the LCD screen. It's about time someone did this.

This one is available on Amazon and on eBay for about the same price of $15, which is very good compared to the OEM piece...if it existed. The advantage of the Amazon piece is that it comes with a microfiber cloth for use anywhere.

This one comes in two pieces, which in the picture are assembled. The outer piece is almost identical to the OEM Canon eyepiece. The inner one, next to the camera body, contains lenses that will distort and reduce your view. Combined, the two pieces are about 1 mm thicker than the Canon EP EX II and eyepiece combination which I have on my 5D2. The extender really takes your nose off the LCD on both the 7D and the 5D3.

I found the best way to use it is to slip the two pieces apart, and remove the two Philips screws that hold a shim which then holds in the lenses. Pop out the lenses, throw them out, and reassemble with the screws and re-slide the pieces together. You can easily still see all four corners of the screen without any size reduction or distortion.

I put two small pieces of gaffer tape between the two pieces of the extender, and on the back of the extender piece which touches the body. That really stops the movement of both on one another, and makes a really firm extender, that can still be removed from the body if you want. Use gaffer's tape, not duct tape. The latter has glue that will stick to whatever it's on when the tape is removed.

"Ireland in Word and Image" Jay Ben Images 5D III | 5D II | 7D | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400L | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L| 35mm f/1.4L | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins lever QR | Gitzo 3542L | Gitzo 5561T

Last edited by tvphotog : 13th of July 2012 (Fri) at 19:57.
tvphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of July 2012 (Sat)   #2
klr.b
Goldmember

Default Re: Eyepiece Extender for 7D, 5D Mark III

I bought one of these back in April. It was only $12 back then, so I took a shot. I would rate the quality as worse than the Canon extenders. If you look closely, you can tell that it doesn't quite match the camera body. The optics were lousy compared to Canon. Just for kicks, I tried cleaning the lenses. There was no difference. I would compare it to smudgy hand prints on a window. I saw this as a moot point since I (and most people) would remove them anyway. If you need the reducer lenses, I would think twice about purchasing. If just want to extend your eyepiece a bit, it's fine.

I was hoping to use this extender with my HoodEye, but they're not compatible out of the box. You have to cut a ridge and grind off a lot of material on the extender. It's a bit of work, buy you can get them to fit together.

Gear and Feedback
klr.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of July 2012 (Sat)   #3
julius071

Well I hope canon comes up with something because I hate to clean my LCD everytime I take a shot.
Old 14th of July 2012 (Sat)   #4
Andrew_WOT

HoodEye Eye cup

Andrew_WOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of July 2012 (Sat)   #5
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT View Post
HoodEye Eye cup

Blocks the LCD; must rotate and then miss the vertical shot. Good idea, poor execution, IMO.
"Ireland in Word and Image" Jay Ben Images 5D III | 5D II | 7D | Powershot S100 | 24-105L | 100-400L | 16-35 f/2.8L II | 24 T/S f /3.5L II | 17 T/S f/4L | 50mm f/1.2L| 35mm f/1.4L | 580 EX II | 600 EX-RT | Feisol 3441T/Markins lever QR | Gitzo 3542L | Gitzo 5561T
Old 14th of July 2012 (Sat)   #6
Andrew_WOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvphotog View Post
Blocks the LCD; must rotate and then miss the vertical shot. Good idea, poor execution, IMO.
Was that your experience?
I am quite surprised as I've never had to rotate if for vertical shots as rubber is very soft and just molds around eyebrow. You can twist it if you want to but I personally have never felt the need for it. Yes, at straight on angle of view it block tiny pinch of the LCD edge, again, never found it bothering me a tiny bit, shoot in Live View with it on all the times.
Old 14th of July 2012 (Sat)   #7
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr.b View Post
I bought one of these back in April. It was only $12 back then, so I took a shot. I would rate the quality as worse than the Canon extenders. If you look closely, you can tell that it doesn't quite match the camera body. The optics were lousy compared to Canon. Just for kicks, I tried cleaning the lenses. There was no difference. I would compare it to smudgy hand prints on a window. I saw this as a moot point since I (and most people) would remove them anyway. If you need the reducer lenses, I would think twice about purchasing. If just want to extend your eyepiece a bit, it's fine.

I was hoping to use this extender with my HoodEye, but they're not compatible out of the box. You have to cut a ridge and grind off a lot of material on the extender. It's a bit of work, buy you can get them to fit together.
I wasn't concerned with whether it matches the contour of the camera exactly, but that it got my nose off the back of the camera. And it's only off in the upper left corner, otherwise it fits perfectly.

You should not even consider leaving the lenses in place.
Old 15th of July 2012 (Sun)   #8
KRUSH

How difficult is it to get those phillip screws out of the EP-EX15 II?
I tried and found it to be very difficult. I imagine it would be the same for this piece.
KRUSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of July 2012 (Sun)   #9
tvphotog
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRUSH View Post
How difficult is it to get those phillip screws out of the EP-EX15 II?
I tried and found it to be very difficult. I imagine it would be the same for this piece.
Very easy, but I have a set of watchmater Phillips screwdrivers.
Old 15th of July 2012 (Sun)   #10
pbelarge
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvphotog View Post
The part blocking the LCD is not really necessary for the function, and can be trimmed slightly.

I do not rotate it when I shoot vertically, so far it has not been terribly inconvenient.

I like the Hoodman eyecup, it works very well for me (I wear glasses) and blocks the sun from interfering with my seeing the viewfinder properly. I liked it so much on the 7D, I bought one for the 5D3.
They are quite pliable as well.
One issue which I do not like about it though is when I use my top entrance shoulder bags - I wonder how long it will hold up to the putting it in/taking it out and rubbing against the zipper?

Pierre
pbelarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #11
JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop

Same here. I dont rotate mine and rather enjoy it. I might trim the bottom as sometimes its in the way a bit when trying to view the LCD but it hasnt been annoying enough to do so.
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #12
Andrew_WOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakAHearts View Post
Same here. I dont rotate mine and rather enjoy it. I might trim the bottom as sometimes its in the way a bit when trying to view the LCD but it hasnt been annoying enough to do so.
The blocked part (the very edge of LCD) usually doesn't have anything critically important and if it does, simple angle of view adjustment let you see what's there. On portrait with landscape orientation, they could as well just made eye cup round, it would continue functioning the same, it's equally comfortable rotated or not.
Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #13
JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop

I agree. Sometimes if youre in sunlight, its not possible to tilt it, but ya know, nothing is perfect.
JakAHearts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of July 2012 (Fri)   #14
julius071

This eye from OP is great! It was very tight once I put it on, shaved some plastic off and now it fits like a glove. No more nose smashing into my 5d Mark III!!!
Old 20th of July 2012 (Fri)   #15
Silverstonev8

Quote:
Originally Posted by julius071 View Post
This eye from OP is great! It was very tight once I put it on, shaved some plastic off and now it fits like a glove. No more nose smashing into my 5d Mark III!!!
Agreed. Mine was delivered yesterday...