Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 14 Jul 2012 (Saturday) 15:42
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Second wedding shoot in manual changed to p mode

liverpool ­ 1
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 14, 2012 15:42 |  #1

Did my second wedding photo shoot today and I am shattered. I was confident in manual but ended up in p mode !! The English weather was awful rain one minute then cloud and full sun. So in manual! Frame. Exposure and aperture, ISO at 200, but because of the weather change I found the metre bar all over the place I could not get to the middle or stop down due to the changes, so in the end I went all p mode and seemed easier! What did I do wrong.?????? Also in church I was working no flash and was iso 1600, that seemed ok with the constant light no change but outside Pheeeew that was hard. Advice please

sponsored links
Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 14, 2012 15:51 |  #2

Would this be good advice:

liverpool 1 wrote in post #14656694 (external link)
Personally, i woukld forget the wedding trade there are so many photogs and vidogs in england and we are all looking for the same work... Digital cams are now that good uncle joe is now more advanced and the bride and groom seem to think just get hm to do the job free...

I hope for the sake of the couple that the pictures are better than you fear.

Gear List
website: South Yorkshire Wedding photographer in Doncaster (external link)
Twitter (external link)Facebook (external link)

liverpool ­ 1
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 14, 2012 16:56 |  #3

Do you have to be so rude!!

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 14, 2012 17:18 |  #4

You do realise that those are your rude words not mine?

You see I would have always given someone encouragement if I believed they deserved it, or guidance to where they could gain relevant experience if it was required instead.

But some people appear to be experts one minute and then the next appear not to know the basics. And when those people are so rude to others....

I believe the Shakespearean phrase is "Hoist with his own petard" meaning loosely to be attacked with his own weapon (From Hamlet)

I genuinely do hope that you can salvage a good set of photo's from your nightmare day, because your customers don't deserve to be let down.

And please learn how to use the gear before you embark on someone else's special day, or stick with the video, because this:

liverpool 1 wrote in post #14716446 (external link)
Did my second wedding photo shoot today and I am shattered. I was confident in manual but ended up in p mode !! The English weather was awful rain one minute then cloud and full sun. So in manual! Frame. Exposure and aperture, ISO at 200, but because of the weather change I found the metre bar all over the place I could not get to the middle or stop down due to the changes, so in the end I went all p mode and seemed easier! What did I do wrong. Also in church I was working no flash and was iso 1600, that seemed ok with the constant light no change but outside Pheeeew that was hard. Advice please

Sounds like you haven't got a clue what you were doing. That's a good to average wedding in the UK - wait till you have a gloomy November afternoon and you're at 6400 and 2.8 and choosing your moment between the B&G breathing in the hope they'll be still enough to not create subject movement.

Gear List

Gel
Goldmember
1,118 posts
Joined Sep 2009

Jul 14, 2012 17:22 |  #5

I don't understand what is being said but auto modes, such as AV (not P mode dammit) have a place where lighting is erratic. I use AV or TV sometimes when following a couple from the church to outside.

That's usually the only time though. Auto modes are easily confused and can get things wrong in a spectacular way.

Chris Giles Photography

DunnoWhen
Goldmember
1,748 posts
Joined Mar 2006

Jul 14, 2012 17:28 |  #6

...I found the metre bar all over the place I could not get to the middle........ Advice please

I think this may have been part of your problem. When you try to keep the needle centred, this is refered to a "Chasing The Needle" and is invariably the wrong thing to do. If this is what you are doing, then you would be better to be shooting in Av or Tv mode and using exposure compensation when required.

Manual mode is best suited to when the light is not changing. You determine a good exposure and you stick with it until the light changes. Use your histogram to assist with this. Once set, you should ignore what your meter is telling you and NOT chase the needle. There is no need to as the light hasn't changed.

As I said, if the light is constantly changing then, unless you are very familiar with using manual mode, you will be better off using Av or Tv modes.

My wisdom is learned from the experience of others.

liverpool ­ 1
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 14, 2012 17:29 as a reply to  @ Gel's post |  #7

Listen you crank stalker, i never posted for a lecture just stating it was hard today with the weather, and maybe my wording was wrong because im tired, i never struggled at all getting the shots i required!!! Far from it! and far from being a nightmare day!! It was just a statement to perhaps get some feedback to make it better for myself, whats up dont you like us vidogs going into photo??? i did actually work three years as a photog assistant...And sometimes better than most photogs... I have served my time and dont need a lecture from a bitter photog whos waiting for vidogs to failllllll

liverpool ­ 1
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 14, 2012 17:41 |  #8

Dunno when thank you for excellent advice, i admit when the light was very very changable maybe i just thought sod it and went into p mode maybe for comfort but i get what you are saying..

chris_holtmeier
Goldmember
2,076 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 14, 2012 17:46 |  #9

You state you are "shattered" in the first post, then go on to say you never struggled even though you had to resort to "P" mode. Doesn't add up.

And for the record, Av or Tv would be the right answer for constantly changing light...

https://www.facebook.c​om/FotonFoto (external link)

Phil ­ V
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Joined Jan 2005

Jul 14, 2012 17:47 |  #10

liverpool 1 wrote in post #14716750 (external link)
Listen you crank stalker, i never posted for a lecture just stating it was hard today with the weather, and maybe my wording was wrong because im tired, i never struggled at all getting the shots i required!!! Far from it! and far from being a nightmare day!! It was just a statement to perhaps get some feedback to make it better for myself, whats up dont you like us vidogs going into photo??? i did actually work three years as a photog assistant...And sometimes better than most photogs... I have served my time and dont need a lecture from a bitter photog whos waiting for vidogs to failllllll

I have nothing against videogs (even ones with massive chips on their shoulders) Search the many forums I'm on - never a word about video guys - till today - and this has nothing to do with video, it's just about the way you treated someone asking for a little help.

You were very rude to a stranger and I felt your advice to him could help you to see the error of your ways today - I'm no stalker -not bitter - but I so dislike a bully and that's how you came across when someone needed a hand of friendship.

I was hoping you'd see the error of your ways and grow from it - but it appears you have a persecution complex too, and nothing anyone can say will help you.

And you see here ^ despite you coming across all aggressive - strangers are still prepared to offer you advice and guidance - not me though - because you've proven yourself unworthy - and you've taken on a job you now admit you didn't have the skills for.
And I know that this is really bad form - but your wording - for a professional - isn't a bit wrong - it's .............

Gear List

liverpool ­ 1
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 14, 2012 17:57 |  #11

no body is aggressive Phil you actually came down on me very quickly tonight as if you where waiting for me to slip up if thats what you call it... The reply to the other guy was a hint that its hard in the wedding game and a hint to maybe find another way of work instead of paying out a lot of money to start up, maybe thats the way i talk by text but no way was i a bully to him... i have not got a chip on my shoulder and i do not take on jobs that i cannot do it was a statement that i found it hard today like you would have done with the changable weather and i did not want to go back into av mode i stuck to my guns in manual....and maybe yes to carry on learning myself as you never stop learning do you Phil....

Panoz
195 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 14, 2012 18:03 |  #12

I was a PPA Certified photographer and shot LOTS of weddings on P mode. Think about it...if what you're trying to do is to match the needle, all you're accomplishing is what the P mode would do automatically, and faster than you can do it. BTW, I also let my 550EXs set the flash exposure, too, since manually calculating flash exposure seems pointless. If I needed a different exposure than the camera recommended, I used exposure bias. I think the original poster is just expressing frustration with trying to match-needle exposures. It's not 70s anymore, guys, let the camera do the basic calculations for you...

Canon G12, Canon 5D MkII, Canon 24-105 L, Sigma 16mm fisheye

liverpool ­ 1
THREAD ­ STARTER
83 posts
Joined Jun 2012

Jul 14, 2012 18:07 |  #13

Thank you Panoz excactly what i was trying to say but my tired mind could not explain, that is why i said i struggled because p mode was doing eveything spot on.....

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
2,105 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 14, 2012 19:00 |  #14

Shooting manual isn't that hard. You just need experience. After enough dedicated experience, all those 'calculations' become reflexes.

Houston Wedding Photographer (external link)
Houston Sports Photographer (external link)
Current Gear List

MichaelAnthonyPhotography
477 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 14, 2012 19:10 |  #15

Did my second wedding photo shoot today and I am shattered. I was confident in manual but ended up in p mode !! The English weather was awful rain one minute then cloud and full sun. So in manual! Frame. Exposure and aperture, ISO at 200, but because of the weather change I found the metre bar all over the place I could not get to the middle or stop down due to the changes, so in the end I went all p mode and seemed easier! What did I do wrong.?????? Also in church I was working no flash and was iso 1600, that seemed ok with the constant light no change but outside Pheeeew that was hard. Advice please

People around here seem to forget that this is a place to get advice in a profession where things seldom go according to plan.

Your images may not be as bad as you think. I wouldn't tell you to post them here (had a bad experience doing that), but you can send me a link to an unlisted gallery and maybe myself or others can provide insight.

Santa Clarita Wedding Photographers - Michael Anthony Photography (external link)
Los Angeles Photography Blog (external link)

sponsored links

12,503 views & 0 likes for this thread
Second wedding shoot in manual changed to p mode
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.