Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Astronomy and Celestial Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #1
calypsob

Default Question for night shooting

1. What type of metering is recommended for shooting long night exposures with a canon, less than 60 seconds to be specific?

2. Is there a recommended white balance? I typically use tungsten and fluorescent but I have never been sure what the right white balance setting would be.

3. I only shoot RAW and always edit in CS5, should I keep my color settings on neutral?

4. Do I need to use the auto-correct image brightness and contrast function?

5. Should I use auto lighting optimizer?

6. Should I use mirror Lockup?

7. Should I use noise correction?

Thanks, I'm sure this will help me and anyone else who needs to answer some of these questions. I have found answers to some of these but they are always different so I wanted to get a group opinion all in one place on this one, thanks again.

Last edited by calypsob : 16th of July 2012 (Mon) at 01:18.
calypsob is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #2
armis

Default Re: Question for night shooting

1. You should be shooting in manual at night, so metering mode is kind of a non-issue.
2. If you're shooting in RAW, you may as well leave that alone, but I see how it's inconvenient if stacking shots. I have no idea.
3. I leave color settings alone, but I guess it's up to you to decide whatever you prefer.
4. No. Best to handle that yourself.
5. Probably not necessary, no (plus, it only works in jpeg, if I'm not mistaken. In RAW, all it does is keep you from using ISO 100). You shouldn't have too many issues with blown highlights anyway.
6. Ideally, yes, though to be honest I've not seen a huge difference on 30+ second exposures (depends on how long the vibration from the mirror slap takes to dissipate compared to the overall exposure).
7. Depends. High ISO noise reduction, probably noy (I mean, you can, I prefer to do it in post). Long exposure noise reduction, yes, unless you're taking dark frames and substracting them yourself (which is essentially what LENR does). If you're taking star trails, the delay between pictures may be an issue when you stack them together, so you'd want to leave LENR off.

Hope that helps.

www.wtbphoto.com
armis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #3
calypsob

Default Re: Question for night shooting

thankyou armis I hope that didn't feel to much like taking an exam HAHA! But seriously this really helps me answer some specific questions that I couldnt find answers to.
calypsob is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member