Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 16 Jul 2012 (Monday) 22:36
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon 5D II prices/ viability, considering rumors

riffster
Joined Apr 2009
Ohio
Jul 16, 2012 22:36 |  #1

What are people's thoughts on the mark II's prices and viability considering what the rumors are about a potential new inexpensive FF's coming out in the fall? I am on the brink of picking up a used, new or refurbed mark II but then got to thinking that in a few months, I could save hundreds when something newer & similar comes out. From what I know, the new stuff is either mirrorless or not as hardy of build quality in comparison. Could the mark II suddenly become the old man on the block? Just thinking out loud here as I will likely just pick up a mark II next month.

5DII | 7D | C100mkII | Tokina 16-28 2.8 I Canon 24-70L | Canon 70-200L 2.8 | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 30 1.4 www.riffster.com (external link) www.facebook.com/riffs​terproductions (external link)

sponsored links
umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
Joined Oct 2007
Gig Harbor, Washington
Jul 16, 2012 22:43 |  #2

riffster wrote in post #14727196external link
What are people's thoughts on the mark II's prices and viability considering what the rumors are about a potential new inexpensive FF's coming out in the fall? I am on the brink of picking up a used, new or refurbed mark II but then got to thinking that in a few months, I could save hundreds when something newer & similar comes out. From what I know, the new stuff is either mirrorless or not as hardy of build quality in comparison. Could the mark II suddenly become the old man on the block? Just thinking out loud here as I will likely just pick up a mark II next month.

Don't know where you are hearing about inexpensive full frame cameras ?? My guess is that the 5D2 is going to go Bye Bye just as soon as inventory depletion happens. Then everyone will be forced to up the game to the 5D3.

Mike
www.umphotography.comexternal link
GEAR LIST
Facebookexternal link

Careyst
223 posts
Joined May 2012
NYC
Jul 16, 2012 22:46 |  #3

riffster wrote in post #14727196external link

I'm in the same predicament. Not sure what to do now. I want a 5DII but with all these rumors of a fall release, I am not sure anymore.

flickrexternal link | FaceBookexternal link
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Gripped |EF 70-200mm f/4L USM |Rokinon 14mm f/2.8]|EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art

riffster
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2009
Ohio
Jul 16, 2012 22:48 |  #4

http://www.canonwatch.​com ...ame-camera-for-photokina/external link

5DII | 7D | C100mkII | Tokina 16-28 2.8 I Canon 24-70L | Canon 70-200L 2.8 | Canon 85 1.8 | Sigma 30 1.4 www.riffster.com (external link) www.facebook.com/riffs​terproductions (external link)

maatt
227 posts
Joined May 2012
Michigan
Jul 17, 2012 01:04 |  #5

I think it'd be a good second option to someone who doesn't want to spend the extra money for a 5D, but I don't think anyone who is looking at a 5D I-III would prefer an entry-level over those.

flickrexternal link

eye2i
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2009
Jul 17, 2012 01:09 as a reply to maatt's post |  #6

Its probably at its lowest right now. I see it sell for $1500-$1650. Then of course you have those delusional people selling their 5D2 with 90k actuations for $1800.00.

Once the stock depletes, I expect it to possibly hold its value for around that range $1500-$1800.

Rudi
Goldmember
3,744 posts
Joined Mar 2002
Australia
Jul 17, 2012 01:10 |  #7

AFAIK, brand new 5D MkIIs are still being produced. I suspect they will remain in production until something else comes along from Canon. Will this be the rumoured inexpensive full frame model? Who knows, but the rumour is only rated CR2. At this stage, if you're in the market for a full frame Canon camera, the 5D MkII is your only bet. Of course, eventually something better will come along, but you could also wait forever...

• Wedding Photographer - Sydney and Wollongongexternal link
• Borrowed Moment (blog)external link

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first.

photohistorian
536 posts
Joined Apr 2011
Elyria, Ohio
Jul 17, 2012 01:14 |  #8

If one needs another camera, then buy a 5dII. I bought one used and I'm very happy. I planned to buy a refurb when Canon offered a 20% discount, but I didn't score, hence I bought a like new camera from B&H. I'm not looking back.

OP, since you seem hesitant, don't buy one now! Wait it out. A 5D III is a great camera! I admit, the MK III is more polished and the interface is upgraded, so a MK II feels dated. However, if you haven't used a Mk III, then you are none the wiser!

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
12,617 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined May 2009
On The Roads Across America
Jul 17, 2012 01:19 |  #9

I don't think the 5D2 is going anywhere. I think it's Canon's only leverage they have on the market right now.

If Canon feels threatened, they can start dumping the price of the 5D2 - it's a complete cash cow now, as it's commodity and R&D has more than been paid for.

Canon has been known to dump the market on it's price-rear before, I wouldn't doubt that if they started to get any creditable threat from Nikon, they'd just pull a move like they did with the 300D and drop the bottom out with a $1299 Full Frame entry level 5D2.

They more than have the ability to out price Nikon and essentially kill the market. They have to have a reason to do that of course, but I am sure that the 5D2 will be kept around to have that option.

In the meantime, they'll continue to make good money off the 5D2.

Year of Night - 365 Night Project - check it out! (external link)

Follow me into the night.
Unique Night Photography - twilightscapes.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,438 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon 5D II prices/ viability, considering rumors
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.