Transfer to Photoshop greyed out - and fix

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 17 Jul 2012 (Tuesday) 06:48   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

amorrison
Joined Jun 2003
168 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Well, I had this problem after upgrading to CS6 and removing CS4. Internet searches will find lots of threads on this but none worked until I tried this. Most registry edits deal with putting values that point to application paths. Mine were already there, and it still didn't work. Reinstalling DPP didn't work. Rebooting didn't work. However, the registry entry that "activates" this option in DPP is below:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSI​D\{6DECC242-87EF-11cf-86B4-444553540000}

apparently this is what DPP uses, and by adding the key "ProgID" and for CS6 the value "Photoshop.Application​.60" the transfer to photoshop option is activated (at least on my machine) and works. On mine, the CLSID entry was there, but no ProgID key.

Also, here is the URL I found the most helpful figuring this out:

http://digitol.free.fr​/forum/viewtopic.php?f​=2&t=22external link

As always, with registry edits, proceed at your own risk.

Good luck!!

- Art

Post #1, Jul 17, 2012 06:48:30

http://photos.atlantaf​alconscheerleaders.comexternal link
http://action4image.co​mexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I'd advise against using the DPP Transfer to Photoshop function because it creates a "tiff" file buried in your temp files and does not remove it. Do a Convert and Save, and open it in Bridge until Canon "fixes" this!

Post #2, Jul 18, 2012 04:54:19

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
Joined Jul 2007
12,885 posts
Salisbury, UK.
[MORE/SHARE]

Tony,

Again, many thanks for info I did not know!

However I religeously run CCleaner once a day and it cleans out all my temp files. I always do what you are suggesting the OP does not do, so if I did not tidy up behind me I can only imagine the mess there would be. Some days there is as much as 200 mb of junk.

Post #3, Jul 18, 2012 05:02:21 as a reply to tonylong's post 8 minutes earlier.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.comexternal link

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

Bigger problem (IMO) that the filename of the Raw file doesn't transfer, but instead becomes something random like "DPP07DC07120C1746.TIF​", which is pretty useless.

Post #4, Jul 18, 2012 05:29:08

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
Joined Jul 2007
12,885 posts
Salisbury, UK.
[MORE/SHARE]

Rene,

Mine does not. I get exactly the same file name in Photoshop that I did in DPP, which then becomes its standard record ident in my filing system.

Post #5, Jul 18, 2012 06:43:54

Richard

sponsored links
amorrison
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2003
168 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hmmm, I never thought about the temp files collecting. I just looked at my PStemp file directory and there is only one entry there from today. There must be some built-in automatic cleanup going on then because I don't run any cleaners. I use 64bit Win7. They are in Users\Art\AppData\Roam​ing\Canon\Genzo\PStemp on my machine. It is a pain to navigate to the directory I need from there when I "save-as" though.

Post #6, Jul 18, 2012 07:50:45

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

Lowner wrote in post #14733702external link
Rene,

Mine does not. I get exactly the same file name in Photoshop that I did in DPP, which then becomes its standard record ident in my filing system.

Hmmm. Must be an OSX thing then…

Anyway, it's the reason I use (Batch) convert & save.

Post #7, Jul 18, 2012 10:47:17

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tonylong
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

René Damkot wrote in post #14733530external link
Bigger problem (IMO) that the filename of the Raw file doesn't transfer, but instead becomes something random like "DPP07DC07120C1746.TIF​", which is pretty useless.

Lowner wrote in post #14733702external link
Rene,

amorrison wrote in post #14733906external link
Hmmm, I never thought about the temp files collecting. I just looked at my PStemp file directory and there is only one entry there from today. There must be some built-in automatic cleanup going on then because I don't run any cleaners. I use 64bit Win7. They are in Users\Art\AppData\Roam​ing\Canon\Genzo\PStemp on my machine. It is a pain to navigate to the directory I need from there when I "save-as" though.

I think the misunderstanding is about the "temp" file. If I recall correctly it does have an "odd" name. Also, it doesn't get stored in a "normal" temp directory, but I don't recall the specific spot where it gets placed.

I'd recommend searching your hard drive for ".tif" files after doing a "transfer to Photoshop" and you should find one that matches the time of your transfer. Delete it (DPP won't do it for you), and then don't use that function!

Hopefully Canon will fix that in a new version, but as far as I know it hasn't happened yet...

Post #8, Jul 18, 2012 18:26:38

Tony
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

tonylong
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

OK, *DATA UPDATE*!!

I did the deed -- I used the Tranfer to Photoshop Tool, then did a search of my "system" drive for "*.tif". The "not temp" file did show up in a bizarre place.

For my Win7x64, the path is:

C:\Users\[your user name]\AppData\Roaming\​Canon\Genzo\PStemp\[So​me garbled folder name]\

That's the path, again for Win7x64. The actual file name matched the original "base" file name, just with the .tif extension.

If you have another OS, your results will vary, but I would definitely encourage you to check this out! Those tiffs can gobble up disk space!

Post #9, Jul 18, 2012 18:41:12

Tony

amorrison
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2003
168 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

When I looked through the PStemp directory in my system I did find one .psd file I had accidentally saved there several months ago but that was the only one that was not deleted by some automated cleanup process. Apparently (on my system anyway) it only deletes the .tif files created in the transfer process. I use that transfer function all the time for single file edits and have never deleted a .tif file in that temporary space.

Post #10, Jul 18, 2012 20:42:38 as a reply to tonylong's post 2 hours earlier.

tonylong
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

amorrison wrote in post #14737315external link
When I looked through the PStemp directory in my system I did find one .psd file I had accidentally saved there several months ago but that was the only one that was not deleted by some automated cleanup process. Apparently (on my system anyway) it only deletes the .tif files created in the transfer process. I use that transfer function all the time for single file edits and have never deleted a .tif file in that temporary space.

Well, that's odd, because others who have checked have found the tif files. I don't know what you may have that differs...

What OS are you using?

Post #11, Jul 18, 2012 22:48:27

Tony

sponsored links
amorrison
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2003
168 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I am using Windows 7 64bit. I went through a session and tracked what DPP did in the PStemp file. Every time I transferred a file to photoshop it created a directory with a long alpha name like a registry key. Each transfer temp file was put in its own ong named directory. I did not modify the temp files in any way - I always do a save-as and put the edited version somewhere else. I then exited PS, and exited DPP. The PStemp files were still there. I started another session of DPP, and looked at PStemp and they were gone. So, on my system DPP cleans up the temp files when it starts up.

Post #12, Jul 19, 2012 06:26:09

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
Joined Jul 2007
12,885 posts
Salisbury, UK.
[MORE/SHARE]

amorrison wrote in post #14738867external link
I am using Windows 7 64bit. I went through a session and tracked what DPP did in the PStemp file. Every time I transferred a file to photoshop it created a directory with a long alpha name like a registry key. Each transfer temp file was put in its own ong named directory. I did not modify the temp files in any way - I always do a save-as and put the edited version somewhere else. I then exited PS, and exited DPP. The PStemp files were still there. I started another session of DPP, and looked at PStemp and they were gone. So, on my system DPP cleans up the temp files when it starts up.

That sounds as though thats what my (Win7 - home) does. So its not my using CCleaner, its tidying up after itself! Good for DPP.

Post #13, Jul 19, 2012 06:30:32

Richard

tonylong
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

So you have to close and re-start DPP to do the "cleanup"? OK, new info!

Post #14, Jul 19, 2012 10:09:27

Tony

LIST NEARBY THREADS
912 views & 0 likes for this thread
Transfer to Photoshop greyed out - and fix
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES