Shooting the homeless

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk
Thread started 17 Jul 2012 (Tuesday) 10:13   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Hardrock40
Joined Mar 2012
466 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

If I were to try it. I'd let them come to me and ask for whatever and then pop the question.

Then say here is all I have and only have what your willing to give out in your wallet, for them to see that its empty when you open it up and hand it over.

Stay on the outskirts of several not to get in the middle and take a friend. Older cloths, unshaven and bad hair would help.

Even go hang around without a camera, talk some first.

Post #16, Jul 19, 2012 00:54:15

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2005
7,383 posts
San Diego County, California, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I tend not to shoot persons who are obviously homeless because I feel that it is taking advantage of their situation in life. They are often photogenic but, it is their poverty and lack of personal hygiene and decent clothing that results in them being photogenic...

Post #17, Jul 19, 2012 23:53:59

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/external link
EQUIPMENT: Two Canon 7D cameras plus Canon D60 camera modified for full-time IR; Tokina 12-24mm f/4, 50mm f/1.8 Mark-I, 17-55mm f/2.8 IS, Tamron 90mm f/2.8 Macro, 135mm f/2.8 Soft Focus, 70-200mm f/4L IS, 300mm f/4L IS, and 400mm f/5.6L lenses;

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2004
11,579 posts
USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Mike Panic wrote in post #14729297external link
This has nothing to do with morals. I'm actually offended you are suggesting that.

Rather then enable someone by simply giving them money because I feel bad, I want to actually pay someone for working for me, as many of their signs say will work for food. I'm not asking them to do work I don't want to do like heavy lifting, yard work or anything else, I'm just asking them let me capture what's already happening, and giving them something in return.

I guess every photojournalist in the world is pretty patronizing and capitalize on others' misfortunes too, and they do it to tell a story and get paid by advertising dollars from their publications.

Mike, what you described did not sound like photojournalism to me. I do think you should consider what your real intentions are. If you consider yourself another Lewis Hine or even Diane Arbus, then stock (even "editorial stock") isn't the way you would go. Given the Internet, you can easily self-publish their plight.

Post #18, Jul 21, 2012 18:15:01

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,789 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting the homeless
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES