Thread started 19 Jul 2012 (Thursday) 13:54   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

mikeinctown
Goldmember
Joined May 2012
1,393 posts
Cleveland
[MORE/SHARE]

I think I'll be heading to the Bridgestone Invitational World Golf Championship at Firestone CC at the beginning of August. I've done marshalling before at a PGA event, but the rules state no cameras Thursday-Sunday. I was planning on going on the Wednesday practice session where cameras are allowed. My gear is limited to an 18-55 kit lens and an 85 1.8. i may be able to use a co-workers 70-300 (non L) to get better shots.

What I'm wondering is A) With private practice Monday and Tuesday, do the more popular golfers even practice on Wednesdays? and B) what are some starting points to try and use regarding aperature, speed, etc. I know not to click during the swing, but also figure to captur the club moving in any way, I'll have to shoot at a decent speed.

I don't want to take 1200 images only to come home and have 10 users. :lol::lol: Would like 120 if possible.

Post #1, Jul 19, 2012 13:54:09

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
canonnoob
Ignored by the TF and i am soo confused
Joined Aug 2008
8,483 posts
Springfield, MO
[MORE/SHARE]

http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​207736

Post #2, Jul 19, 2012 13:59:43

Dave W.- "I don't want to be famous, I just want to make great photographs"
Gear
Springfield, Mo Sports Photographerexternal linkhttp://photography-on-the.net .../davidwelker.zenfol​io.com Model Mayhemexternal link
SportsShooterexternal link
Selling Gear: 1D mk II N

gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2006
26,380 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

The wednesday practice sessions can be hit and miss. Some skip, others play 9. Tiger likes to hit the course early play 9 and sneak out about the time the crowds hit the course. The kit lens wont get you much past beauty shots of the course so get the longer lens if at all possible. On a bright day you will have plenty of light to get your shutter speed up to freeze motion, try middling to wider apertures if you can try 5.6 or F4 to begin with (to cut down on the distractiing elements behind them) and see where that leaves you. I'm sure you will do well. I took my 70-200 to the masters with me this year. lots of fun.

"http://www.flickr.com​/photos/21452010@N07/7​065639065/"

Post #3, Jul 19, 2012 14:03:53

mikeinctown
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2012
1,393 posts
Cleveland
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks Gonzo. i was thinking on being there as soon as the course opened for spectators. Good to know to only expect them to play 9 holes. I wouldn'ty want to be sitting on the 16th and getting one group walking through all day. LOL

I've been to this course before and know there are a few holes where you can get to within 30' of the green, if not less so there may be some opportunities, but I guess I'll just make sure I can borrow what I need.

Canonnoob, I read that thread but it mostly tallks about what an ideal lens is for shooting. i cannot rent anything like that, so I'm at the mercy of what I have and can borrow.

Post #4, Jul 19, 2012 14:31:59

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
7,075 posts
Wadsworth, Ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

Mike:

Been there a couple of times on Wed with camera. They certainly allow cameras in, but NOT your camera BAG. You'll have to wear it around your neck, or carry it in like I do. First time, I was asked to return my camera bag to the car.

If you're planning on attending by yourself, let me know so we can meet up and shoot.

As some mentioned, it's kind of hit-and-miss who goes out and when during the Wed. practice round. Tiger? Never caught a glimpse of him there on the Wed. Most guys are really cool about talking with people, signing autographs, etc.

I did notice last year that more areas are roped off and unavailable to get 'close' to the players. You used to be able to get within 5 feet of players on #17 tee box, but they've changed things around so you can't get anywhere near that close anymore. Other areas on the front 9 have been changed as well.

Let me know if you want some company and we'll hook up somewhere.

dave

Post #5, Jul 19, 2012 14:49:46

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
mikeinctown
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2012
1,393 posts
Cleveland
[MORE/SHARE]

I'll let you know, thanks. Was thinking about bringing my kids since 18 and under is free, but they would get tired really quick. I'll read up on what is allowed in and plan accordingly. Will also make sure my cargo shorts have large enough pockets for plenty of gear. lol

Post #6, Jul 19, 2012 15:27:27

snyderman
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2008
7,075 posts
Wadsworth, Ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

mikeinctown wrote in post #14741030external link
I'll let you know, thanks. Was thinking about bringing my kids since 18 and under is free, but they would get tired really quick. I'll read up on what is allowed in and plan accordingly. Will also make sure my cargo shorts have large enough pockets for plenty of gear. lol

Cargo shorts. That's EXACTLY what I did. Load up!

dave

Post #7, Jul 20, 2012 10:17:35

Canon 5D2 > 35L-85L-135L

LIST NEARBY THREADS
886 views & 0 likes for this thread
Starting points for shooting golf
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES