Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd of July 2012 (Sun)   #1
Darvex

Default Best lens for portrait/landscape photography + film on a budget!

Hi all,

It's my first day here on the forums and as I would think a lot of newbies out there would do is seek advice!

I am soon to purchase a 600d or 650d, which I still can't decide on, if I go for the 600d then I can get a fairly ok piece of glass to begin with, if I go with 650d I will have to stay with 18-55mm kit lens + 50mm 1.8 II for a few months...

Ok so onto my actual question!

Whats a great lens for portrait/landscape photography and also a bit of video on the side, in the region of 200-400 (400ish end would take me a few months even when buying a 600d)

I would love to know for the future which is a great lens to start with for what I am doing.

Thanks in advance!
Darvex is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of July 2012 (Sun)   #2
Rocky Rhode

Default Re: Best lens for portrait/landscape photography + film on a budget!

Welcome; would need to know a bit more about your plans and budget
Old 22nd of July 2012 (Sun)   #3
Darvex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Rhode View Post
Welcome; would need to know a bit more about your plans and budget
Hi, ok well my budget is no more than 400 in the long run, and no more than 200 if I were to buy it now, I'm thinking I'm best off saving, so lets say 400...

Mostly landscape/portrait photography, but could do with a lens thats decent as video use too, and as I am a beginner, I would also like to explore into more types of photography perhaps architectural photography as well!

Edit - My plans are to shoot video for college and also photos for college, but outside of college develop my skills and explore more as a photographer in landscape/ architectural and portrait photography!

Last edited by Darvex : 22nd of July 2012 (Sun) at 15:17.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of July 2012 (Sun)   #4
DreDaze
Cream of the Crop

maybe tamron 17-50mm f2.8 VC

at the top end of your budget you'd have:
15-85mm used not the best for low-light shots though, but wider for landscapes
maybe sigma 17-50f2.8 OS?
DreDaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of July 2012 (Sun)   #5
snake0ape

Congrats on getting a DSLR. Here is my shoestring budget recommendation.

1. You have the 50 1.8. Perfect for portraits and thin DOF photography for the 600.
2. You have the 18-55. Look at Panoramic photographing. http://www.ptgui.com/ is a good start. This will get your landscape and architectural shots but will require work stitching a few pictures together. You can do this also with Photoshop (or a free stitching program), which I am sure you can get free access to in college. You would need to get a sturdy tripod w head (dad's closet?) and buy or make a DIY camera bracket that allows you to spin your camera about the nodal (entry) point. Home Depot has "l-brackets" that will do the job (search you-tube or the web for DIY). If you are resourceful enough, you may get away just spending 20 bucks on l-brackets and screws. Maybe you will need to spend $10 on a level that sits on your camera hotshoe (ebay) or maybe it is already built-in on your live view - check.
2. Now that you have extra money, go get a flash (search Yongnuo flash on ebay). you can get it for 75 bucks or used for alot less. The flash will get you quality indoor shoots at college parties by bouncing the flash off walls or ceiling. Also great fill flash for portraits.

Video is a whole new ballgame. I think the new t4i has auto focus. The older cameras, I think, are basically manual focus. This make video more difficult than a dedicated video camera. If you truly need the cinematic quality that the DSLR offers, you will be spending some $ to assure your subject is steady and in focus especially at low DOF. Or use your 18mm and keep the aperture smaller than f8. If you are going low DOF effect, read up on the web. Cheapest way is using a monopod (or use you tripod with one leg) and a jar opener for a steady focus handle.
3. So now you have $350 to spend on the Canon 70-300 IS. I think you can get one used for $300-350.
Or if you can find one, get the canon 70-210 f4 for $100. another option is the older 70-210 f3.5-4.5.
Both are very sharp for the price.
5Diii | 50D | 8-15L 4| 16-35L 2.8 II| 24-70L 2.8 II | 70-200L 2.8 IS II |Tamy 150-600 | Σ35Art 1.4 | 40 2.8 | Σ50Art 1.4 | 85L 1.2 II | 100 2.8 Macro | Helios 44-3 58mm f2.0 |Helios 40-1 85mm f1.5 | 1.4x & 2x teleconverters
snake0ape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of July 2012 (Sun)   #6
Darvex

Thanks a ton for the great replies!! I will take all of that into consideration!
Old 22nd of July 2012 (Sun)   #7
Amamba
Goldmember

Tamron 17-50 /2.8 non-VC, or Sigma 17-50/2.8 OS if you can swing it (the biggest improvement over Tammy is not the OS but the faster AF).

I wouldn't bother with VC version of Tamron, at least the initial reviews said it wasn't on par with non-VC in IQ.
Amamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of July 2012 (Sun)   #8
jimewall

I don't know if it matters to you, but you mentioned film in the post title. Any of the crop 17/18-xx lenses will not work on your film bodies. You need to think of some of the 24-xx or 28-xx if you want to use it on film bodies.

GEAR
jimewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of July 2012 (Sun)   #9
Darvex

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimewall View Post
I don't know if it matters to you, but you mentioned film in the post title. Any of the crop 17/18-xx lenses will not work on your film bodies. You need to think of some of the 24-xx or 28-xx if you want to use it on film bodies.

I was just wondering about this... Is the Canon EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Lens a great lens to start out with + the 50mm 1.8 II prime lens? As well as the normal 18-55mm kit lens? I could afford this if I found a used one.
Old 22nd of July 2012 (Sun)   #10
jimewall

It should work. I do not know the quality of the 28-135, I've never used it.

GEAR
jimewall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of July 2012 (Tue)   #11
wayne.robbins
Goldmember

The best lens that is relatively cheap- for video- will be the 18-135 IS STM that is in the kit form with the t4i. STM- stepper motor- quieter for videos. The next down- would be the 40mm.

All other kit lenses are gonna be quite noisy when recording videos. The T4i has AF - manual focus is kind of hit or miss with the other models. My recommendation would be to get the t4i with the 18-135 at the same time- it will save you a bit right there. Otherwise- get the 40mm STM for video.
EOS 5D III, EOS 7D,EOS Rebel T4i, Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II, Canon 24-105L, Canon 18-135 IS STM, 1.4x TC III, 2.0x TC III, Σ 50mm f/1.4, Σ 17-50 OS, Σ 70-200 OS, Σ 50-500 OS, Σ 1.4x TC, Σ 2.0x TC, 580EXII(3), Canon SX-40, Canon S100
Fond memories: Rebel T1i, Canon 18-55 IS, Canon 55-250 IS, 18-135 IS (Given to a good home)...
wayne.robbins is offline   Reply With Quote