Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd of July 2012 (Sun)   #1
euthymic

Default Pros and Cons of Vertical vs Horizontal lens and camera carry

Does anyone know if there are generally agreed upon recommendations for the best orientation of lens's during carry/transportation? (both attached to a body and free).

I see the majority of camera bags preferring vertical orientation (which I imagine is best for space) but are lens's better protected from shock forces (bag being dropped to the ground, etc.) in this orientation as opposed to the side-impact forces if the lens in in the horizontal position?

I'm asking as I am failing miserably in my attempt to find the perfect carry bag and have come pretty close (timbuk2 snoop size small insert in a Medium size bag) if I chose to have the camera with attached lens (3ti with 70-300) sitting horizontally (with one of the camera bags pads making a shelf and my flash sitting below the lens also horizontally) but being new to camera's, I worry if this somehow puts the lens in greater risk of being damaged. Further, I previously had to send my 17-85 in for repair after traveling by plane (mysterious error messages) even though I thought I had it pretty well protected in my previous carry-on so now I'm extra paranoid. I could probably have the 3ti/70-300 setup hanging vertically in the same bag although the lens would be resting on the base of the bag (which I would assume would be much more prone to impacts under the weight of the camera body). Other than less efficiently using space, any problems with the horizontal setup (or am I being overly paranoid and the vertical setup would be fine as well)?

Any thoughts or input would be appreciated (especially if I'm just over thinking it).
euthymic is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of July 2012 (Sun)   #2
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Default Re: Pros and Cons of Vertical vs Horizontal lens and camera carry

My personal opinion, completely untrammeled by any actual scientific testing, is that it doesn't make a whit of difference what orientation your lens is in when you drop it. If you drop it hard enough to do damage, it'll break just as well in either orientation.

As a result, my bag reflects the effort to optimize use of the space, and ease of access. Lenses are vertical, in pre-defined and invariant locations. Each camera always starts out with the same lens, so it's got whichever lens goes with the associated compartment. The only exception to the "vertical" rule is the 7D/long lens combo, which is always horizontal in the front half of the Domke F3x or F7. That long lens can be either the 70-200 2.8 IS or the 100-400 IS. It still goes the same place. If I'm carrying both, the 70-200, without body, has its own vertical pocket and the 100-400 is the default starter lens on the 7D. 24-70 is always default starter on the 5D and always in the LH (as viewed from bag front) compartment of the 3-compartment insert in whichever Domke I happen to be carrying. To optimize use of the space with that horizontal carried body/lens, I stow boxes of batteries under the lens. I'm not going to need to change batteries unless I'm using the camera, and therefore it's not in the bag, right?

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of July 2012 (Tue)   #3
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-

Default Re: Pros and Cons of Vertical vs Horizontal lens and camera carry

OP you mean what way the camera is facing when its inside of a bag?

No, doesnt matter either way. Dont over think things like that. If it were a big issue you would have found LOTS of info about it and why one way is better than the others.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member