Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jul 2012 (Sunday) 13:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS M officially announced

macroimage
Goldmember
2,169 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 23, 2012 03:15 |  #61

Charlie wrote in post #14755409 (external link)
photoshopped? why would there be a filter spec on the lens if there were no threads?

Why PhotoShop out filter threads? I wonder if these are CAD renderings and not photographs and the draftsperson forgot to model the thread in the 3D model. Strange nobody caught it before publishing if that was the case.

Photo Gear

sponsored links
smorter
Goldmember
4,506 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 23, 2012 03:16 |  #62

Cameras aren't that big anyway, the real issue is lenses. How exactly does one fit a 70-200 down one's pants?

Wedding Photography Melbourneexternal link
Reviews: 85LII

rishardana
36 posts
Joined Aug 2009

Jul 23, 2012 03:30 |  #63

For me personally, two things this EOS M got better than the NEX 5N or F3 are the compatibility with Canon's Flash & Lenses, and also the menu is the Canon's user interface I've grown to be accustomed with.
I've been using NEX 5N several times, although it's a capable camera with great dynamic range, the user interface is an absolute pain.

www.rishardana.com (external link)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
14,406 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 23, 2012 03:40 |  #64

macroimage wrote in post #14755416 (external link)
Why PhotoShop out filter threads? I wonder if these are CAD renderings and not photographs and the draftsperson forgot to model the thread in the 3D model. Strange nobody caught it before publishing if that was the case.

that's more what I meant, meaning the photo was a rendered image rather than a real photo of the item.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

blackjack999
Goldmember
1,599 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 23, 2012 04:17 |  #65

rishardana wrote in post #14755456 (external link)
For me personally, two things this EOS M got better than the NEX 5N or F3 are the compatibility with Canon's Flash & Lenses, and also the menu is the Canon's user interface I've grown to be accustomed with.
I've been using NEX 5N several times, although it's a capable camera with great dynamic range, the user interface is an absolute pain.

Are you really considering going out with your EOS M and a EF 70-200 f/4L or a 135 f/2L mounted on it? ^_^
I'm not. :-)

7D l 24mm f/.14 Art
Flickr (external link)

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 23, 2012 04:28 |  #66

Not enough buttons on it for me (I'm not a fan of touch screen controls on cameras)...$1,000 for the basic kit and the EF adapter is a little steep.

As an owner of FF DSLRs and an S100, I really don't see much point in picking one of these up. Now, if it was an AE-1-inspired design with an EVF and a sprinkling of customizable buttons...I'd be much more tempted...

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

AngryCorgi
-Bouncing Boy- a POTN peion
11,537 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Jul 23, 2012 04:32 |  #67

KenjiS wrote in post #14755292 (external link)
Actually the AF looked pretty snappy from what I've seen, Keep in mind the image sensor has Phase Detect AF on it, theoretically even using a converter the AF should be pretty decent...

The 22mm is the compact lens of the group really... And unlike Sony at least the focal length makes sense as a walkaround general purpose standard prime...

That said, you're right, the lens weight is in line with the Sony

Please link me the video you saw. I was hoping for snappy video, but even the Canon Europe promotional video shows mediocre AF and a back-and-forth racking effect reminiscent of my old E-P1. And that was the only one I've seen where they use the shutter button to issue focus. All other videos I've seen use the god-awful-slow touch-to-shoot focus. I really was optimistic about this camera and especially the 22/2 lens, but the AF I've seen so far has left me a little confused about the effectiveness of their implementation of on-sensor PD-AF. Nikon's is fast and doesn't twitch near focus from what I've seen. What video am I missining?

My hope is that what I've seen so far is a serious firmware issue and that it will be solved by release. The Canon Europe promo video only shows actual AF Aquisition ONCE, at the very beginning and at close focus. They skip the Aquisition screen on all other shots. Maybe they we trying to hide the immaturity of the firmware during promo shooting.

AngryCorgi (external link) (aka Tom) ...Tools...

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

AngryCorgi
11,537 posts
Joined Aug 2005
Location: Surrounded by bunnies, squirrels and a couple of crazy corgis in NoVA...

Jul 23, 2012 04:35 |  #68

smorter wrote in post #14755417 (external link)
Cameras aren't that big anyway, the real issue is lenses. How exactly does one fit a 70-200 down one's pants?

What are you talking about? I'm essentially pulling off this feat every day I wear pants! :lol:

...Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, Wisdom is knowing not to include it in a fruit salad...

Neilyb
Cream of the Crop
5,187 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 23, 2012 05:05 |  #69

IMO (remember that, just my opinion based on the specs published) this is not worth discussing unless you are a compact user. A rich compact user. Absolutely nothing new on here, innovation seems to not be in Canons book these days. Also brings a whole new load of lenses that need buying, and then selling when said users upgrade to EOS bodies...

http://natureimmortal.​blogspot.com (external link)

http://www.natureimmor​tal.com (external link)

toonartist
301 posts
Joined Jan 2008

Jul 23, 2012 05:12 |  #70

At the moment i use a 5d mkii and the Nex7. Sigma primes on the Nex are superb. This new camera from Canon,Without the EVF and Tri-Nav system found on the Sony Nex7, doesn't really cut it. As soon as they have something similar then I will consider it.

For mountain, outdoor photography the weight saving is really important and the ability to control a camera via dials while looking through a view finder with the histogram on view is amazing. I really hope they do come out with something like this in the future to give the Sony Nex7 some competition... Im sure they will!

Canon 5D Mkii. Canon 17-40 f/4L & 100-400L
New Website
Mountain Landscape Photography (external link)
Outdoor Photo Library (external link)

PandaSPUR
98 posts
Joined Mar 2012

Jul 23, 2012 05:22 |  #71

The only thing slightly interesting about this camera, to me, is the Hybrid AF...

What was Canon thinking with that kind of price? Hoping their name alone can sell the product?

Sheesh. I'll stick with my m4/3 for a compact backup. Cause honestly... I wouldnt want to use ANY of my EF lenses with a body that small, makes no sense. My Sigma 50 and Samyang 14 belong on cameras like my 5D :P

Canon 5D Classic: Sigma 50mm f/1.4, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8
Panasonic G1: Panasonic 20mm f/1.7, Panasonic 14-45mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens
Pentax K-r: Pentax DAL 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 kit lens

AngryCorgi
11,537 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 23, 2012 05:28 |  #72

Oh no...IR apparently wrote a preview already and ALSO likened the AF to the E-P1's fidgety AF. :confused: This can't be coincidence.

http://www.imaging-resource.com …on-eos-m/canon-eos-mA.HTM (external link)

IMAGE: http://www.myfacewhen.net/uploads/20-do-not-want.jpg

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,724 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 23, 2012 05:33 |  #73

How many AF points does it have?

and are they cross type or what?

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 23, 2012 05:38 as a reply to  @ macroimage's post |  #74

It has no built-in flash, but did anyone else see this in the official Canon press release?

Additionally, the EOS M will ship with the new Speedlite 90EX flash unit as standard.

I have not been able to confirm this elsewhere. B&H describes the kit they will sell, but it does not mention an included flash.

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com …kw=CanonMirrorl​essArticle (external link)

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

AngryCorgi
11,537 posts
Joined Aug 2005

Jul 23, 2012 05:39 |  #75

tgara wrote in post #14755680 (external link)
It has no built-in flash, but did anyone else see this in the official Canon press release?

I have not been able to confirm this elsewhere. B&H describes the kit they will sell, but it does not mention an included flash.

The flash is included in MOST markets (according to dpreview), but they do not give a list of the markets of exception.

sponsored links

104,474 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS M officially announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.