Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 22 Jul 2012 (Sunday) 13:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

EOS M officially announced

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 23, 2012 07:38 |  #91

jonneymendoza wrote in post #14755716 (external link)
how much AF points though?

31 points, according to specs published on the Canon website.

http://www.usa.canon.c​om …mm_stm_kit#Spec​ifications (external link)

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

sponsored links
jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 23, 2012 07:44 |  #92

I've had four EVIL cameras at this poing. First the GF1, then the NEX5 (which I still have, not worth selling used), then the X100 and now an OMD. This segment is crucial for me for shooting my family. Small, easy to take EVERYWHERE and great IQ. I'm hoping the M AFs well and has good IQ. The X100 had terrible AF and it's menus sucked as well. Canon will have the menus done right. I DO NOT USE EVFs, they're worthless for me and I wonder why so many people are so insistant on needing one. I've used the one on my OMD maybe 3 times. I LOVE not having a black box pressed to my face all the time thanks to using the rear LCD. The 22mm f/2 will be perfect for me, the X100 had a great combo and the 20mm 1.7 rarely leaves my OMD. THen, the BEST aspect for me is that it has the EF adapter. This paired with the 10-22 is a fantastic travel landscape kit you can't match with any other option out there. OK, maybe a sony NEX5n or 7 with their adapter and their DSLR wide options, but yeah, I want this with canon's 10-22. The wide options for MFT are expensive and moody (can't take filters or aren't really wide).

So yeah, I want to see how well it AFs and I want to see some IQ. I really hope it can shoot at 3200 and 6400 w/o issues (the 7D could NOT, my OMD beats it easily). I also really hope it's AA filter isn't as strong as the 7D's because it sucks the details out of landscapes. If those 2 details are fixed and it AFs well enough I'm sold.

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.com (external link) | newschoolofphotography​.com (external link)
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

cskorik
845 posts
Joined Aug 2008

Jul 23, 2012 07:44 |  #93

The 40mm f/2.8 pancake lens for $200, I get.

This, I don't get. Do they really expect anyone to buy this for $800?

It's going to be a LONG time before I'll add anything like this to my gear. How the heck are you supposed to hold the thing? At least offer the option of an electronic viewfinder via the hotshoe, then maybe I'd think about it.

My portfolio (external link)!

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 23, 2012 07:51 |  #94

cskorik wrote in post #14755933 (external link)

The micro four thirds and mirrorless formats currently make up about 50% of new camera sales in Asia. So, yes, I think there will be people purchasing this new camera.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

marcosv
775 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jul 23, 2012 08:03 |  #95

I really wish the price point for this camera was lower. Given the lack of EVF and minimal controls, it's clearly not the pro version. Body plus both lens cost $1100 to which you need to add $150 more for the weak flash??? Then you buy the EF/EFs adapter to go beyond the basic two lens for things like longer telephoto..

Given the Canon T4i's features and price point, it's like consumers must make the choice between body size vs. capability/bang for buck.

Ironically I find the EOS-M to be harder sell due to its price point than the Canon 5D mk III being almost twice the price of the 5D mk II.

EOS-M | 40D | 5DII | 5DIII | EF-M 22 | EF-M 18-55 | 10-22 | 17-55 | 17-40L | 24-70L mk II | 24-105L | 70-200/2.8L IS mk II| 35L | 85L II |35/2 | 40/2.8 pancake | 50/1.8 | 50/1.4 | 100/2 | Rokinon 14/2.8 | 90 EX | 270 EX II | 580 EXII | 600 EX-RT

Keema
247 posts
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 23, 2012 08:05 |  #96

is there visible focus points on the lcd screen?

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 23, 2012 08:11 |  #97

I'd be willing to bet that this camera will be pre-sold out for a month or two unitl supply catches up to demand.
Why is this too expensive in your mind? Its a T4i in a smaller package that most of us have been asking for. How much is the T4i again?

Market-wise, this is a brilliant move by Canon.

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 23, 2012 08:16 |  #98

marcosv wrote in post #14755991 (external link)
I really wish the price point for this camera was lower. Given the lack of EVF and minimal controls, it's clearly not the pro version. Body plus both lens cost $1100 to which you need to add $150 more for the weak flash??? Then you buy the EF/EFs adapter to go beyond the basic two lens for things like longer telephoto..

Nobody is forcing you to buy all the accessories. After all, they're called accessories for a reason.

It's like buying a fully loaded BMW 135i and then complaining that you could have bought a 335i for the same price. If you want a 135i, you buy a 135i. ;)

Think new Canon lenses are overpriced? Lots (and lots) of data will set you free!

tgara
Goldmember
2,336 posts
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 23, 2012 08:18 |  #99

Keema wrote in post #14755998 (external link)
is there visible focus points on the lcd screen?

I would assume so, although I don't know for sure. From the hands-on preview at dpreview.com, there appears to be 3 AF modes: Face detection AF, grouped points AF, and single point AF. I believe you will also be able to select an AF point by tapping the touch screen, much like the cameras in many cell phones do today.

EOS 5D Mark III
EOS Rebel SL1
Full Gear List

LowriderS10
Cream of the Crop
10,170 posts
Joined Mar 2008

Jul 23, 2012 08:20 as a reply to  @ Keema's post |  #100

mrkgoo wrote in post #14755756 (external link)
I just want it as a point and shoot (with 22 mm f/2 prime) that can double as a an SLR back if needed. It's kind of expensive for that though...like I could just buy a Point and shoot.

As an aside, I like the design. I love the look of the S95 and S100, so it would go without saying I'd like this. I would use it as a simple camera, so appreciate simple controls.

The thing is, if you want a point and shoot with a 22 f2, get an S100, or whatever the Nikon is that has an f1.8 lens on it...half the price, and WAY more useful (not a prime), and much more portable...I've been waiting for a M4/3-type camera to fall in love with for years...it's just not happening!

As for the design...I noticed its similarity to the S100, though I think the S100 kicks this one's ass by having the ring around the lens...I absolutely LOVE that design...my custom button is set up for ISO, ring is aperture, rear wheel for shutter speed...I rarely ever have to hit menus. But interestingly...though I love the S100's design, I don't like the similar design on the EOS-M...perhaps because I was expecting MORE of it...

andrikos wrote in post #14755769 (external link)
My idea of using this little guy is to:
a) put my 10-22mm on it (with the adapter of course)
2) aperture at f/8
3) hyperfocal distance of 0.67m (focuses 0.33m to infinity at 10mm, 1.3m to infinity at 22mm)
4) MF,
5) frame the shot on the LCD and shoot away.

Yes...but the big question is...why? Why not just use your other cameras for that?

jmark252 wrote in post #14755915 (external link)
Anyone besides me bugged by no viewfinder to look through.I guess I'm a traditionalist.

Me. I really wanted it to have an EVF, more controls (I was hoping for at least 3 user customizable buttons) and a better design.

It's going to be a LONG time before I'll add anything like this to my gear. How the heck are you supposed to hold the thing? At least offer the option of an electronic viewfinder via the hotshoe, then maybe I'd think about it.

Agreed. I was sold on the Pancake from the second the rumours surfaced. This does nothing. An EVF and better ergonomics would be a bare minimum for me to even THINK about it at this point. I may consider this just as a toy when people are getting rid of it for $250 in a few years haha.

tgara wrote in post #14755959 (external link)
The micro four thirds and mirrorless formats currently make up about 50% of new camera sales in Asia. So, yes, I think there will be people purchasing this new camera.

Welllll....People will be purchasing mirrorless...will they be purchasing THIS one? I doubt it. Costs the same as the competition, but no EVF, no articulated screen, no in-body image stablilization, etc...it really doesn't have much that distinguishes it from the competition...which, in my opinion, would be desperately needed in an arena where Canon is a complete newb. Why would anyone go for a camera that offers nothing the competitors don't offer, and is completely unproven...

-=Prints For Sale at PIXELS=- (external link)
-=Facebook=- (external link)
-=Flickr=- (external link)

-=Gear=-

andrikos
Goldmember
1,905 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jul 23, 2012 08:30 |  #101

LowriderS10 wrote in post #14756042 (external link)
Yes...but the big question is...why? Why not just use your other cameras for that?

I already am, and the 10-22 is my walkaround lens (yes, I'm insane). So, the EF-M would be my compact setup that fits in a little case (or purse) so I have a travel set. Could you suggest a more compact and convenient UWA setup?

Skippy29
Goldmember
1,100 posts
Joined Nov 2004

Jul 23, 2012 08:41 |  #102

Nice going Canon. You show up dead last to the party with this thing?

IMAGE: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-BERa808ndhQ/TewvlTKgheI/AAAAAAAAAGw/E9pZKsSxIPg/s1600/swing-miss.jpg

"I'm like a Slinky - not much good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see me tumble down the stairs" -iKirst

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
14,393 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 23, 2012 08:43 |  #103

according to imaging resource, the AF sucks

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 28/2 - FE 35/2.8 - CV 35/1.7 - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 35-70, 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8, 24/1.4 - Tamron 28-75 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 VC

jonneymendoza
Goldmember
3,723 posts
Joined Apr 2008

Jul 23, 2012 08:43 |  #104

jmark252 wrote in post #14755915 (external link)
Anyone besides me bugged by no viewfinder to look through.I guess I'm a traditionalist.

no viewfinder no sale

Canon 5dmkIII | Canon 85L 1.2 | Sigma 35mm ART 1.4|Canon 16-35mm L 2.8 |Canon 24-70mm L f2.8 | Canon 70-200mm F2.8L MK2 | Canon 430EX MK2 Flickr (external link)

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
6,428 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Jul 23, 2012 08:45 |  #105

Hogloff wrote in post #14752654 (external link)
Yawn. Sony, Fuji and Oly have already 2nd and 3rd generation mirror less cameras thst run circles around this.

Do those cameras you mentioned take the current HUGE lineup of lenses that those manufactures have been making for years?

This new Canon takes every single EF and EF-s lens Canon has ever made.

That's pretty freaking cool.

Thank you. bw!

sponsored links

104,444 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS M officially announced
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.