Can I use umbrella or softbox? Which are better for this purpose.

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 23 Jul 2012 (Monday) 20:41   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

stumbows
Joined Apr 2012
366 posts
Wollongong NSW Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

I have 2 main types of photography I am using flashes for at the moment which is car shoots and indoor/studio portraits. What I am currently doing is bouncing the flash best I can to get the natural softer light but was thinking I should invest in some light diffusion accessories which has brought me to looking at umbrellas and softboxes. My first question is can I use either of those modifiers on cars? If so what are the best methods and accessories for what I am doing? Indoors I guess I can use either?

I'm starting to do more and more weddings at the moment too and wouldn't even mind something I can take out with me on location for adding some nice fill light etc. So I may need to factor in my purchase for that also.

Post #1, Jul 23, 2012 20:41:35

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,511 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

For cars you want a car sized diffuser, assuming you're shooting indoors. Outdoors you want a bunch of diffused flashes. Soft boxes are usually more efficient than umbrellas.

For portraits it makes little difference what you use. For weddings I use a small soft box, held by an assistant.

Post #2, Jul 23, 2012 21:00:01

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

LeifHurst
Joined May 2011
153 posts
Dallas, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

Both will give you completely different looks of light and shadows so it's tough to say one or the other without really knowing what one gives you vs. the other.

If you could only choose one or the other,I would go with a 60" convertible umbrella (you could get several of them in varying sizes for the cost of a softbox). You can fake an umbrella to look like a softbox by closing it down/collapsing it but you can't fake a softbox to look like an umbrella.

Post #3, Jul 23, 2012 21:08:33

Gripped Canon 7D | Gripped Canon 5D2 | 50mm f1.4 | 24-70L f2.8 | 24-105L f4 | 70-200L f2.8 IS II | 24L f1.4 | 85L II f1.2 | Too much lighting gear

stumbows
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2012
366 posts
Wollongong NSW Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

All of the cars I am doing are outdoor shots, mostly around late afternoon early evening. I am looking for that showroom light look without there being too many tiny/sharp reflections to be distracting.

Post #4, Jul 23, 2012 21:56:00

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,492 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

stumbows wrote in post #14760134external link
All of the cars I am doing are outdoor shots, mostly around late afternoon early evening. I am looking for that showroom light look without there being too many tiny/sharp reflections to be distracting.

Not possible to elminate the many reflections seen in the body panels and chrome surfaces of cars in well illuminated areas (like at a outdoor location)...control of reflections (the placement of desired reflections that help the eye to understand the curves of a car) is done with surroundings which are dimly lit and illumination of surfaces and curves with large car-sized softboxes.

Post #5, Jul 24, 2012 12:44:52

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,108 views & 0 likes for this thread
Can I use umbrella or softbox? Which are better for this purpose.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES