Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th of July 2012 (Tue)   #1
borism
Goldmember

Default Goja ND filters - anyone comment?

Hi
I have been eyeing these Cokin P series Neutral Density and found these knock off named Goja in Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Neutr...pr_product_top

Any experience with these?

The Cokin only the ND4 is what all these cost, I am wondering if i should go with the Goja kit that brings everything or just the Cokin filter?

http://www.amazon.com/Cokin-P-Series...in+nd+series+p

thx
Old 24th of July 2012 (Tue)   #2
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Goja ND filters - anyone comment?

The one worry I'd have with these is colour casting. If they're relatively cast-free, then I see no reason not to get them save for the holder only having 2 slots and not being a WA holder.
Sirrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of July 2012 (Tue)   #3
borism
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrith View Post
The one worry I'd have with these is colour casting. If they're relatively cast-free, then I see no reason not to get them save for the holder only having 2 slots and not being a WA holder.
Yes that is what I am thinking, even the Cokin P series have a little bit of purple casting, might bother an ultra picky user, but I dont think is that bad
I am wondering about these Goja version
Anyone?
Old 11th of August 2012 (Sat)   #4
tunin

When it comes to filters... I've used pretty much everything I could get my hands on... from the welding glass to some medical class nd glass... COKIN as well... I was never happy with the cokins... there was always something "wrong" with it...

I use the LEE filters now, I know they are pricey but I could honestly say that this is the most important investment I made (at least when it comes to photography)

*** Amateur tools ***
tunin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of August 2012 (Sun)   #5
baj2k

I have Cokin and some of the cheaper Goja's. For color enhancements the Cokin / Goka's work fine. Where they all have issues when compared to Lee filters is in the ND filter catagory. I have found no color-cast issue that I can see on cheaper Cokin / Goja ND's in the ND2, ND4, ND8's range but once you go past that you may start to see the majenta/purple color-cast people have mentioned. Also, stacking the cheap ND's causes color-cast too even at lower levels so if you do an ND2+ND4 you may well see something that you wouldn't see with just the ND8.

If you're new to filters I'd recommend getting a cheaper Cokin knockoff holder and a the Goja ND2, ND4, & ND8 and see what you think. That way if you don't like them you won't be out much and if you do you're set for a while. A lot of people find they just don't use the filters they buy all that much so to me that's kind of a waste to have $500 or $600 tied up in Lee ND's and a few color/special effects filters. If, after experimenting and using the Cokin/Goja combo you decide filtering is something you want to take to the next level, or if you want to go to extreme ND values, then you're going to have to go "all-in" and get the Lee holder and filters.
All for sale - PM me for info: Canon 17-40mm /4L (refurb) | Sigma 35mm /1.4 "Art" with USB Dock | Sigma 50mm /1.4 | Zeiss Planar 1.7/50 T* | Rokinon 24mm /1.4 | Canon EF 2x III (refurb)| Canon 580EX II | Giottos MM9170 Monopod | Manfrotto Mg MH054M0-Q2 Ballhead | BNIB Lee Big Stopper

Last edited by baj2k : 12th of August 2012 (Sun) at 22:38.
baj2k is offline   Reply With Quote