Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Macro Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th of July 2012 (Wed)   #1
CyberManiaK

Default homemade dual flash bracket....

Well i want to get dual source light, but not in a fixed position.. So I build this..

Sorry only cell camera lol..

It's also Retractable

It's not very heavy it weights around 400grams and it doesn't woobles at all..

Here is from the bottom.. Holding all the rig with one hand..

Now I need to find a pair of small and full manual control flashes any recomendations ?? Because the minolta (small one) is only full power, and the YN560 is a bit heavy..

Maybe I will get a couple of YN460 or at least one 270ex II or 430exII
Any sugestions.. ?

Next step make some diffusers..can't wait to try this rig lol.. And I don't have the patience to wait for the new flashes lol....

BTW: if someone want to know total spend around $20~25 bucks.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 26th of July 2012 (Thu)   #2
Idlefrog

Default Re: homemade dual flash bracket....

Well it should do the job as long as the thing you are photographing doesn't have a lot of other stuff surrounding it. I shoot with just one flash with a home made diffuser on it and I often find that the flash diffuser is hitting branches etc because the lens needs to be so close to the subject. If there were two flashes with diffusers I imagine the problem would be twice as bad.

Canon 6D, EF 100mm F2.8 IS L Macro, MP-E 65, EF 24-105mm F4 L, Tamron SP 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD
Idlefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of July 2012 (Thu)   #3
CyberManiaK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idlefrog View Post
Well it should do the job as long as the thing you are photographing doesn't have a lot of other stuff surrounding it. I shoot with just one flash with a home made diffuser on it and I often find that the flash diffuser is hitting branches etc because the lens needs to be so close to the subject. If there were two flashes with diffusers I imagine the problem would be twice as bad.
Yeah, thats exactly why I want to make it retractable so I can move it the waylike. For example one could be used to light the background and one the subject. I know what you mean, cuz on my 1 flash setup thats the problem the diffuser hits the branches, What I'm trying to do with this setup position the flashes in parallel with the lens and then they can be pointed wherever I want, The angle that holds the flashes has movement also.

But I can't find what flashes should I use with this setup..

(Small, lightweight, manual mode)

And again this is the theory only.. Yesterday I tried without the diffuser,and it can give a lot of flexibility..

I will make today the diffusers and try with them...
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 26th of July 2012 (Thu)   #4
calypsob

Canon has those new speedlight 90ex's which are pretty small but when I looked at the page I could not figure out if they offer full manual control or not.
calypsob is offline   Reply With Quote