Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk
Thread started 26 Jul 2012 (Thursday) 11:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Quick ND filter question...

Tony_Stark
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010
Toronto, Canada
Jul 26, 2012 11:43 |  #1

Hey guys, Im posting my question here as its more of, is it worth getting said filter...

Anyway, I will be leaving in 2 weeks and I will be going on a 2 week vacation and I want to focus a lot on landscape photography. I already own a Cokin P filter hold, 77mm adaptor for my 24-105, along with a Hitech 0.9 soft grad and a B+W CPL.

I have been looking a lot at the various filters offered on the market and what they can do. I decided to go with a solid 1.2 ND because I love the look of long exposures and its effects on water and on windy days, the clouds. I initially wanted to get the 10 stop Hitech Pro Stop or the B+W 10 stop screw in, but I have read a lot on color casts and the difficultly involved in removing them from the image. So I went away from that idea and looked at a slow solid ND.

My current shopping list is a 0.9 soft reverse grad, and a 1.2 solid ND. I want to photograph landscapes and seascapes (so to speak).

Will adding these 2 filters help me out along with what i have now, or is getting the 10-stop ND worth it, implying have the problems been fixed.

Nikon D810 | 24-70/2.8G | 58/1.4G
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website (external link) | flickr (external link)

sponsored links
CHUCK ­ A
Joined Jun 2011
New Jersey USA
Jul 27, 2012 07:02 |  #2

Save you money and purchase a Lee filter system. IMHO it is the best around. I see no color cast even with a 10 stop. Bad news is it will take you months to get some of them. Good news is you will have them forever.

Canon 5D3, 60D, 70-200 L f4 IS, 17-40L,16-35f4, 24-105L,100 f2.8, 85 f/1.8, 55-250 IS, 400 f/5.6, Ziess 21 2.8, canon 1.4, 430EX www.flickr.com/photos/​maggiesguy, http://charles-aitken.artistwebsites.​comexternal link

Tony_Stark
THREAD ­ STARTER
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010
Toronto, Canada
Jul 28, 2012 13:29 |  #3

I ended up adding a B+W 10 stop filter for now as I don't want to keep investing in the Cokin P series. I would love to own the Lee system one day.

EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

LeeRatters
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2009
Bristol, UK
Jul 28, 2012 13:32 |  #4

The B+W ND110 is fine. I have both a 58mm from the old days & a 77mm for the now L lenses & colour cast is easily fixed in LR.

>> Flickr <<external link

Tony_Stark
THREAD ­ STARTER
Shellhead
4,287 posts
Joined May 2010
Toronto, Canada
Jul 28, 2012 15:04 |  #5

LeeRatters wrote in post #14781950external link
The B+W ND110 is fine. I have both a 58mm from the old days & a 77mm for the now L lenses & colour cast is easily fixed in LR.

Thats good to hear. This is going to be my first time using such a heavy ND filter and look forward to using it.

EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

SuffolkGal
437 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Aug 09, 2012 14:34 |  #6
banned

Interesting thread. I'm quite new to DSLR and I am currently using a Hama Variable 2-8 ND. What differences would I see using an ND filter that is fixed instead of variable, is my first thought?

If someone knows a good link where I could read up, please?

Many thanks,
Jenny

SuffolkGal
437 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Sep 05, 2012 17:22 |  #7
banned

Tony_Stark wrote in post #14781939external link
I ended up adding a B+W 10 stop filter for now as I don't want to keep investing in the Cokin P series. I would love to own the Lee system one day.

Unfortunately, what you did was to continue to invest in screw in filters. So when you realise you need Lee you'll have to throw the whole lot in the bin (like I just did).

(LOL .. just saw the last message prior to this one was mine back in June. Done a lot of reading since then, lol)

sponsored links

1,449 views & 0 likes for this thread
Quick ND filter question...
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Nature & Landscapes Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.