Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Weddings and Other Family Events Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st of July 2012 (Tue)   #1
Svetlana
Goldmember

Default A couple against fireworks

I have a wedding coming up this weekend where a couple will be doing fireworks. I have never shot people against fireworks before and wonder what settings I can use to get the best shot? I'm looking to do the silhuette as well as light them. THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Join me on Facebook!
Svetlana is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 31st of July 2012 (Tue)   #2
frugivore
Goldmember

Default Re: A couple against fireworks

I've never done anything like this, but my first guess is to expose the fireworks with the usual settings (bulb, ISO 100, f/8 - just guessing here), and to expose the people with flash. A tripod will come in handy too.

Photography is communication. Art is the quality of that communication.
frugivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of July 2012 (Tue)   #3
stsva
Cream of the Crop

I don't have a clue how to do this, but here some links that might be helpful (GIYF):
http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobis...7624236948965/
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=985184
http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00ZnLB
http://www.flickr.com/groups/strobis...7627809285868/
Club and
HAMSTTR
Breeders Club http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...hlight=hamsttr Join today!
stsva is online now   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 31st of July 2012 (Tue)   #4
Red Tie Photography
Goldmember

I am sure those links are very helpful, and I am sure they all say similar things.

Use a tripod, expose for the fireworks with a long exposure, and flash the couple in with a flash (I would use off camera with either a softbox or umbrella).
Red Tie Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of July 2012 (Tue)   #5
Tigerkn
Goldmember

Here is my go to FW setting: ISO 100; F/8-11; 5 Sec. Exposure; Turn the focus ring to Infinity and turn it back about 2mm. Time it, shoot it and loving it every time. Stay up wind so the smoke will not be in your shot, if possible.

Last edited by Tigerkn : 31st of July 2012 (Tue) at 15:31.
Tigerkn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of July 2012 (Tue)   #6
tim
Light Bringer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Tie Photography View Post
I am sure those links are very helpful, and I am sure they all say similar things.

Use a tripod, expose for the fireworks with a long exposure, and flash the couple in with a flash (I would use off camera with either a softbox or umbrella).
This. Though fireworks are brighter than you expect so ISO 100/F8 in the last post is probably about right, and the long exposure to show trails.

You'll have to make sure little to no ambient light falls on the couple.
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of July 2012 (Tue)   #7
DanFaenza

I know I only saw one small blurb about this in here but I'm going to make it stand out a bit....STAY UPWIND OF THE SMOKE!!! I've ruined a bunch of, what would have been, awesome fireworks shots because of poor planning. Do your homework and the pics will be awesome!

Daniel Anthony Photography

Last edited by DanFaenza : 31st of July 2012 (Tue) at 22:55. Reason: spelling
DanFaenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of August 2012 (Wed)   #8
Peacefield
Goldmember

Yeah, what everyone else has already said. I find that ~4 seconds is best for fireworks. That and ISO100 and aperature anywhere from f5-8. And then flash to match.

And you'll probably need to shoot wider than you think. I went to a firworks show with the 24-70 on my 5D2 and it worked, but I was wishing I brought the 16-35 instead.

Not sure the sillouette idea will work as the firworks will probably not create enough backdrop, but maybe. Worth a shot, but don't risk getting the flash shot trying for the sillouette (IMO).

5D3, 5D2, 50D, 350D * 16-35 2.8 II, 24-70 2.8 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 100-400 IS, 100 L Macro, 35 1.4, 85 1.2 II, 135 2.0, Tokina 10-17 fish * 580 EX II (3) Stratos triggers * Other Stuff plus a Pelican 1624 to haul it all
Peacefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of August 2012 (Wed)   #9
RichardStevens

You you wish to light the couple with the flash, try setting it to second curtain sync - this may help reduce motion blur if they move during the exposure, if you have ambient light encroaching into the shot.
RichardStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of August 2012 (Wed)   #10
umphotography
Cream of the Crop

interesting post. Last weekend we were getting ready to leave and the bride walked up to me and said.. Hey ive got some sparklers can we take one more shot

So we shot these on the way out the door. These are straight off the camera. First was with the MKIV 4000 ISO and second was with the 5D3 4000 ISO. Shot them in AV mode and turned the flashes way down to minus 2 1/3 for a little fill. I was totally not prepared for this as my tripod was out in the car and everything was basically packed up. But the newer cameras with the High iso capabilities can get it done and let you hand hold in a pinch...again,, straight off the camera so easy on the critique

MKIV

5D3
Facebook
umphotography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of August 2012 (Wed)   #11
MadlyAlive

We had fireworks at my wedding and the photog shot ISO 200 f/8 with on and off camera flash. I can't remember if the on camera flash was used on these, but the off camera flash was on a tripod lifted by his assistant about 10 feet up.

EDIT: I have full rights to these photos.

Old 1st of August 2012 (Wed)   #12
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop

For normal shots second curtain sync will work fine. I normally shoot fireworks at around f/16, iso 100 and 15 seconds or so. You could of course go with a wide aperture and get something that most others don't..........

The Bokeh Show by tltichy, on Flickr

As far as silhouettes go, it's a crap shoot, unless you want to put a flash behind them with about a 1/2CTO gel on it. To get enough light to create a strong silhouette you need a relatively long exposure, which will often preclude you from getting a crisp shape. Upping the iso runs the risk of blowing out the highlights, or not getting a long enough light trail to really showcase their shape.
1x

Last edited by Scatterbrained : 1st of August 2012 (Wed) at 12:12.
Scatterbrained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of August 2012 (Wed)   #13
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop

One more thought. Fireworks are usually launched over water. If you are in a situation where you can get to the water's edge, you can frame your subjects with the water in the background. The light will spread across the water more evenly giving a nice silhouette.

Enjoying the Show by tltichy, on Flickr
1x
Scatterbrained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of July 2013 (Thu)   #14
stanclark

expose for the firework make sure your camera flash goes off on the second curtain
Old 4th of July 2013 (Thu)   #15
jonwhite

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
This. Though fireworks are brighter than you expect so ISO 100/F8 in the last post is probably about right, and the long exposure to show trails.

You'll have to make sure little to no ambient light falls on the couple.
+1

If you have Videographers shooting alongside you (or other sources of ambient) then it can be a real pain to shoot fireworks as they invariably use video lights so if you drag your shutter to get firework trails you end up with motion blur in the subjects.

If you do have problems with ambient from Videographers or other sources shoot some short shutter speeds to capture the couple and then some longer ones for the fireworks from the same position and then paste them together in post.
jonwhite is offline   Reply With Quote