Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Weddings and Other Family Events Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11th of August 2012 (Sat)   #31
chokeslamcena

Default Re: Shooting a friend's wedding (Just for fun/learning), then...UH-OH!!!!

First things first; Stop worrying about it. You're not a pro and are not presenting yourself as one, therefore, they have no expectation of professional results.

More importantly...

1) You've a nicely cropped photo of the bride/groom at the altar above. It doesn't look overly grainy. I'm not sure if you got that by zooming in or cropping afterward, but either way, it looks okay to me so I'd stick with it.

2) A yellow colour cast isn't exactly unusual for a church. If you want to correct this you can simply play with the white balance temperature to see what looks best. Ignore skin tones. Warm skintones will go down well as people feel they look pale with colder tones. However, the dress must be white. A dress with a yellow tint won't go down well (not that it matters, you've already told them you're not a pro).

3) Don't be 'rushing or hurrying anywhere during the ceremony. If you miss a shot, that's their tough sh*t. I can't stress enough; you're not claiming to be a pro. I understand that you want to get some great shots for yourself, because you want to do a good job, and that's perfectly understandable, but this couple are completely taking advantage of you.

4) If you're giving them copies of the images, resize them down to about 1,000 pixels on the longest side. Don't give them the full size shots. Resizing down will get rid of the grain and makes things look sharper. You've missed the focus in one or two shots above (either that or the image is just very soft due to the high ISO) so a smaller size will make it look sharper.

5) Blindly follow this advice! - If they want the full size shots: Charge them. Don't second guess it or think about it. Charge them.

If they want high-res shots, they want them for a purpose (a nice canvas for the wall, perhaps?). At the end of the day, professional or not, if you do a good enough job that they feel they'd be willing to hang a photo on the wall: Charge them.

6) Don't do a formal/posed group shot. This is something a professional does (and no, I'm not saying don't do it because you're not a pro. The reason I'm saying don't do it is because everyone in the group photo will want to see the photo you've taken, and because you're the one taking it, they'll assume you're a hired pro, regardless of whether you tell them otherwise or not. If your shots go poorly, they'll see a piss poor group photo and then if you ever do decide to go pro down the line, this will work against you. People remember the bad a lot more than they remember the good).

If they ask you to do a big group shot just lightly laugh it off with a 'haha, ah jeez, that wouldn't really be my area at all, I'm afraid. Sorry'. It's jokey, but it gets the point across.

Truth of the matter is, they see you with a 'big camera' and assume you will be as good as, if not better, than the next bloke with a 'big camera'. They've cancelled their photographer because someone told them you took lovely photos and would do it for free.

Only do what you want to do. If you do a group shot, make sure it's because you want to do one. If you do any posed shots with the bride/groom on their own, make sure it's because you want to do them. Don't feel pressured and don't end up running around for them.

Truth be told, one of the reasons I stopped doing free work (I'm a pro) was because I always felt like, when I was working for free, I was shown very little respect. Don't let it happen to you.

Above all else though; enjoy your day. Ultimately, you're a guest. You have no responsibility and shouldn't get worked up or worried about anything like this.

Also, if you're not already doing it; shoot RAW. It'll help with white balance afterwards. Also bring a second memory card if possible. You'd be surprised how 'snap happy' you get during certain jobs.

I wish you the best of luck with it. You seem like a nice guy as you're willing to do it for them.
chokeslamcena is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of August 2012 (Sun)   #32
Ace and Deuce
Goldmember

Default Re: Shooting a friend's wedding (Just for fun/learning), then...UH-OH!!!!

Thanks guys!

I asked the minister about the lighting and he wouldn't budge.
I refuse to rent a lens because I'm already doing this for free.
Yep, always shoot RAW.
I tried several white balance settings, but most seemed to bleed color even more, especially the yellowish color.
--------------
1 - That's not a crop, just zoomed.
2 - OK, thanks for the tip on keeping the dress white above anything else!
3 - I was really starting to feel like I was being taken advantage of yesterday, yet I couldn't help myself from rushing about
4 - Great point about resizing, thanks! I'm not sure if I missed focus, or there was movement...I was shooting at 1/20 shutter from a decent distance.
5 - Point well taken!
6 - I've already committed to a group shot. They have all kind of plans for the time in between the ceremony & reception

Thanks again for the tips & advice! I have 2 16gb class 10 cards (458 Raw/Lg Jpgs each), and 3 4gb cards also (class 4 & 6), so I should be good. Also have an extra fully charged battery.

Thanks again! I'm hoping for a brighter, sunlit day...that would probably help enough to get my shutter to a workable number.

~Ace
Canon EOS 6D *** Canon EOS T3i *** Canon - EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM *** Canon - EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM *** Canon - 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 EF-S *** Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro *** Canon 18-55mm IS *** Canon 55-250mm IS *** Canon EF 75-300mm *** Canon 50mm f/1.8 II *** Canon 430exII flash
http://www.flickr.com/photos/aceanddeuce/

Last edited by Ace and Deuce : 12th of August 2012 (Sun) at 03:45.
Ace and Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of August 2012 (Sun)   #33
Ace and Deuce
Goldmember

...a quick question...

If I'm shooting them coming down the aisle with my 18-55 using a shutter of 1/20, ISO 3200, f/5.6
...what could I bump by shutter to if I use my 50mm f/1.8, set @ f/1.8? I'm not sure of the conversion. Will that eliminate blur? I think I would rather deal with grain than blur...with blur, the pic is a goner.

Thanks!!
Canon EOS 6D *** Canon EOS T3i *** Canon - EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM *** Canon - EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM *** Canon - 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 EF-S *** Canon 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro *** Canon 18-55mm IS *** Canon 55-250mm IS *** Canon EF 75-300mm *** Canon 50mm f/1.8 II *** Canon 430exII flash

Last edited by Ace and Deuce : 12th of August 2012 (Sun) at 03:31.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of August 2012 (Sun)   #34
scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop

You can shoot at ISO 6400 if necessary ..Your camera camera handle the noise. Your shutter should be about 1/100
scorpio_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of August 2012 (Sun)   #35
RangersForever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace and Deuce View Post
...a quick question...

If I'm shooting them coming down the aisle with my 18-55 using a shutter of 1/20, ISO 3200, f/5.6
...what could I bump by shutter to if I use my 50mm f/1.8, set @ f/1.8? I'm not sure of the conversion. Will that eliminate blur? I think I would rather deal with grain than blur...with blur, the pic is a goner.

Thanks!!
Bump your ISO and remember AI Servo for coming down the aisle and more importantly when they are leaving as they tend to walk happily out with a spring in their step!
Old 12th of August 2012 (Sun)   #36
Ace and Deuce
Goldmember

Thanks guys, so stay with the 18-55 & 55-250, just bump the ISO & shutter? And what benefits will AI Servo give me, not having to re-meter?
Old 12th of August 2012 (Sun)   #37
RangersForever

Quote:
Thanks guys, so stay with the 18-55 & 55-250, just bump the ISO & shutter? And what benefits will AI Servo give me, not having to re-meter?
AI One Shot - things that are not moving or moving very little..

AI Servo - things that are moving.

Basically you'll get a lot more shots in focus using Servo when the subject (s) you are shooting are moving.
Old 12th of August 2012 (Sun)   #38
Ace and Deuce
Goldmember

Well, I made it! I took 833 pictures, and I'm pulling them from the cards now. They look pretty good so far, but we'll see once I open them up in DPP. I ended up using the 50mm f/1.8 for the entrance, the 100mm 2.8 for the ceremony, and the 18-55mm for the exit & the reception. I got all of the important shots (in multiples, just in case). My biggest problem was not knowing what to tell them/how to pose and such. They were really good with helping me out, though...they just said who they wanted to take pictures with.

Thanks for all the help, tips, and suggestions! I definitely would've had a tough time if it wasn't for you guys!!

Thanks again,

~Ace
Old 12th of August 2012 (Sun)   #39
jackinavox

Glad to hear, looking forward to seeing photos from the day *if you don't mind sharing them with us*

Hope they gave you plenty to eat and drink!
jackinavox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of August 2012 (Sun)   #40
-AP-

Subscribed to see the pics.. Enjoyed reading the thread as well.... Sounds like all in all it went okay..
-AP- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of August 2012 (Sun)   #41
Ace and Deuce
Goldmember

Went through a few...couldn't completely shake the yellow cast, but kept her dress white

004 by Ace and Deuce (Friend for full access to stream), on Flickr

005 by Ace and Deuce (Friend for full access to stream), on Flickr

entrance 01 (Vertical crop) by Ace and Deuce (Friend for full access to stream), on Flickr

001 by Ace and Deuce (Friend for full access to stream), on Flickr
Old 13th of August 2012 (Mon)   #42
Ace and Deuce
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwilson86 View Post
The best way to learn is ask a wedding photographer if you can second shoot with them or even just go and assist without shooting and just watch how other people do it, thats what i did (a couple with Bandit in fact) that way you are getting some experience without the responsibility . Here are the some good article collection for wedding photography tips http://www.photographytalk.com/photo...otography-tips which helps you to learn about wedding photography
That's what this was supposed to be...their photographer cancelled 6 days before the wedding, leaving me all alone, lol.
Old 13th of August 2012 (Mon)   #43
Gomar

ok, so what happens if you cant make it? You get sick, Dad or mom is in hospital, child falls down the stairs, you are eaten by a crocodile, get abducted by aliens, your camera breaks or is stolen, etc.

Suppose you do the shoot, and they dont like it, then what? You say take it as is because you werent paid, and then your friendship with coworker goes down the toilet.

I wouldnt be the primary photog, but just a guest who takes photos.
BTW, if contract with their photog was signed, and deposit was given then he/she has to do it.
Gomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of August 2012 (Mon)   #44
stsva
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Went through a few...couldn't completely shake the yellow cast, but kept her dress white

004 by Ace and Deuce (Friend for full access to stream), on Flickr

005 by Ace and Deuce (Friend for full access to stream), on Flickr

entrance 01 (Vertical crop) by Ace and Deuce (Friend for full access to stream), on Flickr

001 by Ace and Deuce (Friend for full access to stream), on Flickr
Based on these, I think they'll be very happy.
Club and
HAMSTTR
Breeders Club http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...hlight=hamsttr Join today!
stsva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of August 2012 (Mon)   #45
bubbygator

I think you did a swell job !! Congrats!