Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 05 Aug 2012 (Sunday) 14:10
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

How common is it to have lenses not perfectly focused with EOS camera?

ab2.
95 posts
Joined Jun 2012
MORE INFO

Just curious, when you buy an EOS camera and L series lenses, how common is it that the lens and the body AF are correct right out of the box? I am hearing that it's not uncommon to have focusing issues with the lens and camera and also fine tuning is going to be required.

Any good recommendation of fine tuning the AF? Also is it better to send everything off to Canon including lenses to have them do it or just buy a decent focusing kit?

Thanks in advance.

Aug 05, 2012 14:10

Canon 1DX

sponsored links
panicatnabisco
789 posts

Joined Apr 2012

san francisco
MORE INFO

Camera gear is built within tolerances, so sometimes a lens/body combo would be perfect, while others seem to back/front focus. It doesnt happen all the time, but sometimes it gets pretty bad but its rare

I use LensAlign for fine tuning my AF, and it seems like the only lens in my kit that backfocuses is the 50/1.2 (go figure). No need to send everything to canon, unless you have OCD pixel peeping tendencies

Aug 05, 2012 14:16

Canon 1DX | 6D | 8-15mm (for sale)external link | 11-24mm | 24-70 II | 24-105 | Σ35/1.4 | 50/1.8 | 50/1.2 | 70-200 IS II | 135/2 | 300/2.8L IS | 600EX-RT (x2) | ST-R3-RT | MBPr Nikon F2 | 50/1.4 Nikkor-S | 105/2.5 Leica M8.2 | Noctilux 50 f/1 | Elmarit 90/2.8
afimages.netexternal link | Facebookexternal link | flickrexternal link

sapearl
emailed Tim some prozac
14,929 posts

Joined Dec 2005

Cleveland, Ohio
MORE INFO

I truly believe that it's less common than people believe. Yes, it does happen but certainly not in the numbers that people infer here.

There are defects and adjustments that sometimes have to be made, but many times here it's pilot error. And I'm not saying that to be mean spirited. A lot of folks with less than optimum photographic experience will buy pricey gear and not understand the nuances of basic exposure, shallow DOF, or critical shutter speed, and then blame it on the equipment when images are not razor sharp.

Perhaps I've just been very lucky, but I have purchased two bodies and 6 lenses in past six years and all has been well.

A main cause of concern with defects is pixel peeping at 100%. The shooter does not create an image under perfect lighting and exposure conditions and the image is "SOFT" so they figure the lens is defective :rolleyes: Btw AB2, welcome to POTN.

Aug 05, 2012 14:17

GEAR LIST
MY WEBSITEexternal link- MY GALLERIESexternal link- MY BLOGexternal link
Artists Archives of the Western Reserveexternal link - Board

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts

Joined May 2007

Probably Chasing Aircraft
MORE INFO

Across five dSLRs and probably 20 EF-S and EF lenses since migrating to digital when the 20D was new, I've never felt any miss was gear-related nor have I ever MFA'd any body/lens combo.

Because of the aforementioned "tolerances," nothing can be 100% dead nutz every time but modern gear is a helluva lot better than many people think.

The limitations of the shooter run at much higher percentages... ;)

Aug 05, 2012 14:24

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

ab2.
THREAD ­ STARTER
95 posts
Joined Jun 2012
MORE INFO

Okay thanks for all the feedback.

Let's say lighting is good, on a tripod, multiple well cared for L series lenses and still get soft images then I would think it could be equipment needs calibration? My proshop where I buy my gear and considered a good dealer for canon is the one who told me this. I see this in my 85mm F/1.2, 24-70mm f/2.8 and 16-35mm f/2.8

Aug 05, 2012 14:31

Canon 1DX

sapearl
emailed Tim some prozac
14,929 posts

Joined Dec 2005

Cleveland, Ohio
MORE INFO

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14817607external link
.....The limitations of the shooter run at much higher percentages... ;)

Jay, you hit the nail on the head: greater chance of user error or "learning experience" than bad equipment.;)

Aug 05, 2012 14:37

GEAR LIST

wizzards
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jul 2003
MORE INFO

If you follow the link I think the truth will be revealed

it confirms what I have thought for some time

http://www.lensrentals​.com ...ity-part-3b-canon-camerasexternal link

Aug 05, 2012 14:45

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
57,560 posts

Joined May 2007

Probably Chasing Aircraft
MORE INFO

ab2. wrote in post #14817635external link
Okay thanks for all the feedback.

Let's say lighting is good, on a tripod, multiple well cared for L series lenses and still get soft images then I would think it could be equipment needs calibration? My proshop where I buy my gear and considered a good dealer for canon is the one who told me this. I see this in my 85mm F/1.2, 24-70mm f/2.8 and 16-35mm f/2.8

I think your shop is trying to sell you the photographic equivalent of an extended auto warranty...

You have a really stout gear list but unless you're truly a "more money than sense" type of person, they're just trying to squeeze the turnip for a few more drops of blood. ;)

Don't suppose they tried to sell you UV Filters for all your glass, did they?

Aug 05, 2012 14:51

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sapearl
emailed Tim some prozac
14,929 posts

Joined Dec 2005

Cleveland, Ohio
MORE INFO

wizzards wrote in post #14817694external link
If you follow the link I think the truth will be revealed

it confirms what I have thought for some time

http://www.lensrentals​.com ...ity-part-3b-canon-camerasexternal link

So in general, equipment tends to improve as technology advances. Thanks for sharing the link, and welcom to POTN wizzards.

Aug 05, 2012 14:51

GEAR LIST

rockygarcia
385 posts
Joined Jun 2009

Coppell, Tx
MORE INFO

ab2. wrote in post #14817560external link
Just curious, when you buy an EOS camera and L series lenses, how common is it that the lens and the body AF are correct right out of the box? I am hearing that it's not uncommon to have focusing issues with the lens and camera and also fine tuning is going to be required.

Any good recommendation of fine tuning the AF? Also is it better to send everything off to Canon including lenses to have them do it or just buy a decent focusing kit?

Thanks in advance.

I've had two, they were both primes. One I did micro focus adjustment, the other sent to Canon for adjustment. Both worked fine for me after that.

Aug 05, 2012 16:15

1DX | 17-40 F4L | 24-70 2.8L | 50 1.8 | 85 1.8 | 200 2.8L for sale | 70-200 2.8 IS IIL | 300 F4L | 100-400L | Kenko Pro 300 1.4x DGX | 2x Canon Tele III | 430EXII

ab2.
THREAD ­ STARTER
95 posts
Joined Jun 2012
MORE INFO

Thanks for the link wizzard.

This is my first Canon Pro-series camera I bought. I had a Mark 5D II before that and the 5D II seemed to be a bit sharper. I don't think it has anything to do with me holding it right since I eliminated that with a tripod and using a remote to trigger with plenty of light. I believe after what I researched and read, the lens and camera need to be adjusted for the sharp focus I am looking for. I shoot Archery as another hobby and I can buy two of the same bows and put two of the same arrows in them but each will shoot differently unless I tune them. May be a bad example, but I can't believe that each Canon new body will match up exactly to the millions of lenses they make perfectly. I am sure some are dead on and others need adjusting the AF. Any more advice is welcomed and all the advice given thank you guys.

Aug 05, 2012 17:35 as a reply to rockygarcia's post 1 hour earlier.

Canon 1DX

TSchrief
Goldmember
2,099 posts

Joined Aug 2012

Bourbon, Indiana
MORE INFO
banned

How long do people thing it will be before we have a high-functioning hybrid AF system with the accuracy of contrast-detection and the speed of phase-detection? My bet is this year or next that either Canon or Nikon come out with it in pro body. A few years from now we will all wonder how we go by without it.

Aug 05, 2012 17:42

Gear List

ab2.
THREAD ­ STARTER
95 posts
Joined Jun 2012
MORE INFO

I just wanted to follow up on this thread. I ordered this tool called focuspyramid for $19.95. Come to find out all of my L series lenses including my 85mm f/1.2 lens were not in sync with the camera. I did the adjustment using the tool and my pictures in RAW are sooo sharp now. With everything working correctly, the power of the 1DX really shines.

Aug 13, 2012 09:21

Canon 1DX

HyperCams
Goldmember
1,345 posts

Joined Feb 2010

Palm Bay Florida
MORE INFO

If we are NOT including Sigma lenses, then I would say that I have never had any issues! :cool:

Aug 13, 2012 12:14

Brent Oliver
HyperCams & Modsexternal link/Oliver Digital Images / ODI Films
My Flickrexternal link Brent Oliver-FaceBookexternal link Oliver Digital Images-FaceBookexternal link
Feedback and Gear

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,918 posts

Joined Jul 2007

Salisbury, UK.
MORE INFO

I've not experienced it, or felt the need to check. Or I should say, I have felt the urge to check, but for no other reason than with my 5D2 I now can!

Aug 13, 2012 12:18

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.comexternal link

sponsored links

3,147 views & 0 likes for this thread
How common is it to have lenses not perfectly focused with EOS camera?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO THE FORUMS
Registered members get all the features: search, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, own reviews...

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: By using this site you agree that some cookies will be stored on your browser. For unlogged users we store one session id cookie. For registered members we store (in addition to login session cookie) only cookies that are essential for required functionality. We do not store any personal tracking data in cookies or other browsers' data storage methods.