Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Weddings and Other Family Events Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th of August 2012 (Wed)   #1
pattrick70

Default help with settings for outdoor wedding?

I am shooting my sisters wedding, (shes knows im not a pro, she has someone for formal pictures so there are no real expectations) I mostly shoot my kids, toddler and baby with my t1i and 50 1.4. never really use flash. I am going to rent the 5d mark iii , and couple of lenses and a flash. probably 16-35l and 70-200 2.8? and open to suggestions if you think something else would work better. My main question is besides M what settings do you think I will have the best luck in. Im sure I will be experimenting as im getting the camera for about a week before the wedding. any tips on what setting will work with a 580 speedlite to use for filler would be greatly appreciated. the wedding is outdoors but there is a tent. also do you think those lenses will fit my needs. thanks for any help
Old 8th of August 2012 (Wed)   #2
siddr20
Goldmember

Default Re: help with settings for outdoor wedding?

I think the 24-70L will be more useful than the 16-35L. But then again all depends on your shooting style, the location etc. Bring that 50 1.4 as well and rent the 70-200L also.

You will have more luck knowing how to balance ambient light and flash. Make sure you practice this before you do your sisters wedding. Maybe this link might help:http://www.photocrati.com/balancing-...ight-outdoors/
Just did a quick google search.

If there is a tent then maybe you can bounce the light. But then again we cant tell what to do as we have never seen the location before.
Perhaps there might be enough natural light that you wont need flash.

Better yet scout the location out a day or two before the wedding. Take a friend down and practice some shots.
Old 8th of August 2012 (Wed)   #3
pattrick70

I was thinking the 24-70l , i just wasn't sure if it was wide enough as I've never Shot with a full frame sensor. And that's a good idea, I will try and go there a day or two before and test out the lighting. Thanks for the tip.
Old 9th of August 2012 (Thu)   #4
dmward
Cream of the Crop

When I'm shooting a wedding outside where there is enough light to make sure shutter speed is adequate, I use Av so I can control the F stop which has direct impact on the speedlite. The speedlite is a fill light so I tend to use Exposure Compensation and Flash Exposure Compensation to fine tune the relationship between ambient and flash.

I would be inclined to use 24-105 and 70-200 for out doors. If the tent is relatively well lit then F4 max aperture is probably OK. I prefer to bounce speedlite inside and most tents make that easy because of the white material.

Inside, M for the camera to keep the ambient about 1 stop under exposed then use the flash, bounced, to light the subject with FEC at 0 or maybe +1/3 or +2/3.

As mentioned, practice makes perfect.
dmward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of August 2012 (Thu)   #5
pattrick70

Thanks for the tips, I have never used exposure compensation but I'm going to have to play around with it I think. Is this right, if I turn the dial to minus does that make the picture darker.
Old 9th of August 2012 (Thu)   #6
JohnThomas

To answer your question directly above, yes.

5D mkIII | 5D mkII |50D | 50 1.4 | 85 1.8 | 17-55 2.8 | 24-105 4.0L | 16-35 2.8L | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L | Cheetah CL-360 | (4) 600EX-RT | (3) 580EX II
JohnThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of August 2012 (Thu)   #7
amirg

Either 24-70 or 24-105 + 70-200 should be fine. 24mm on FF is equivalent to 15mm on crop so it should be wide enough unless you need the 16-35 for some creative wide-angle shots. What was said above regarding lighting plus make sure you get enough practice with the 5D3 and its great auto-focus system.
Old 9th of August 2012 (Thu)   #8
tim
Light Bringer

What parts of the day are you shooting (ceremony, reception, artistic bride and groom photos, etc) and what kind of images do you want to create?
tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of August 2012 (Thu)   #9
pattrick70

Ceremony is at 5. So weather permitting should have good light for alittle while. Still researching ideas for specific shots. Any suggestions?