Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th of August 2012 (Thu)   #1
oilman1

Default Manual Focus on G 12?

I have not discoved a manual focus feature on my G12. I'm admitting I'm an old 35mm Film shooter and the really good ( Expensive) cameras are just out of my budget. Back to the G12 I've played with lots of the Manual mode settings and that makes the camera feel more natural to me. Just can't find any Manual focus.
If there is none any tips on shooting thru a window or window screen so my subject which my be 25 yards away will come into sharp focus?
oilman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of August 2012 (Thu)   #2
denncald
Goldmember

Default Re: Manual Focus on G 12?

Read pages 98 and 99 in the user guide. You access MF using the up portion of the outer ring on the back of the camera (ring around the outside of the OK button).

Canon no longer seems to be supplying a printed manual with their cameras, so you should learn to use the supplied PDF file. You may also want to invest in a good book on how best to use the G12. This one seems very popular;

http://www.amazon.com/David-Buschs-P...ref=pd_sim_b_1

Dennis
denncald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of August 2012 (Thu)   #3
the jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman1 View Post
I have not discoved a manual focus feature on my G12. I'm admitting I'm an old 35mm Film shooter and the really good ( Expensive) cameras are just out of my budget. Back to the G12 I've played with lots of the Manual mode settings and that makes the camera feel more natural to me. Just can't find any Manual focus.
If there is none any tips on shooting thru a window or window screen so my subject which my be 25 yards away will come into sharp focus?
Check your manual, page 98. If you're shooting something 25 yards away why not just let the camera focus for you?

You can download a manual from canon's website (obviously)
the jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of August 2012 (Thu)   #4
oilman1

Hey G11 thanks for the reference to the online manual. I have that on my Windows desk top, but I'm usually on this Mac Pro. The reason I asked is that I was afraid doing a photo thru a window , or window screen would throw off the auto focus system. Not sure how the auto focus senses the distance to the subject.
Will go upstairs and read my PDF Manual.
Anyone else got pointers about auto verses manual focus thru a pane of glass?
Thanks!
Old 9th of August 2012 (Thu)   #5
imjason

the AF system works off a subjects contrast. so the camera focuses better with areas of contrast such as the white and black areas of an eye. the AF also tends to prioritize closer subjects. shooting through glass can be tricky with AF especially if the glass is dirty. the camera will detect the contrast on the dirty glass and attempt to focus on the glass.

what you can do is just use manual focus like you were asking.
imjason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of August 2012 (Thu)   #6
denncald
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman1 View Post
Will go upstairs and read my PDF Manual.
Most people today have something like a smart phone, iPod touch, or tablet computers to more easily carry around and read PDF files. If you have such a device, it can allow you to read the manual when ever you are away from your "upstairs" computer. However, I prefer to read mine on my desktop (iMac), or laptop when traveling.

Dennis
Old 10th of August 2012 (Fri)   #7
oilman1

Smile Re: Manual Focus on G 12?

Thanks for all the replies. All and any info is helpfull to me. The thing I've run into with the G12 is of course the tru the glass or screen focusing problem. Yes it can be tricky. We've been on tours when the bus would stop for a few minutes and you could only get what you could thru the windows.
I'm always trying to improve the depth of field in my photos with the G12. Hard to do with the lens they put on it. Yea I can get some but my 1970 Minolta 35mm film camera spoiled me with the f1.4 to F22 stops availible on most of my lenes. Lenses like that for the new digital cameras cost big bucks.
I am awear of the macro scene that gives great ( how do you say it "Boketh") Spelling probaly wrong. That is a new word for me - we always just said depth of field.
Thank You all, and by the way I'll take that 70-200mm l lens as a donation - then I would buy the 5 mk3 body.
Old 10th of August 2012 (Fri)   #8
denncald
Goldmember

It's bokeh, and it's difficult to get with the G12, or other small sensor cameras.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bokeh

You might also enjoy reading through Gordon Buck's blog on his G12, and other Canon cameras. He does have at least one posting about trying to blur the background with his G9, and may also have addressed it with his G12.

http://lightdescription.blogspot.com...g12-posts.html

Dennis