Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Sports Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of August 2012 (Fri)   #1
cansportswriting

Default NCAA / CIS Basketball Opportunity

Next Wednesday (Aug 15) I have the grand assignment to shoot a Can-Am pre season university game between Tulsa (NCAA) and Brock Badgers (CIS). Both schools will be counting on my images for their respective websites.

My equipment is a Canon T2i with a EF 50mm F1.8 lense. That will be my only option. I will be situated baseline (corners) in a relatively well illuminated Gym using my trusted monopod.

Over the past year I have taken thousands of basketball action shots given my role as communications director for a grassroots basketball organization. The end result has varied as I知 still wet behind the ear with Digital photography. My main issue has been noise and I知 restricted with software to my Mac痴 iPhoto program.

I知 wondering if someone can assist me with ultimate settings for my pending photographic adventure. All suggestions are welcome but please respect that I will not be changing my equipment or software any time soon. I hope to invest in a 85mm F1.8 lense some day.

Thanks to all!
cansportswriting is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of August 2012 (Fri)   #2
Voaky999
Goldmember

Default Re: NCAA / CIS Basketball Opportunity

Well, you need a minimum shutter speed of 1/640th to start. Pretty much everything revolves around that.
Old 10th of August 2012 (Fri)   #3
dankopp

No reason to use a monopod for that setup. Your shutter speed and the size of the lens don't warrant it.

I would shoot at f2 or 2.8 and a shutter speed of at least 1/500 (faster if there is enough light, but no need to go avove 1/1000). Then figure out the right ISO (if the light is fairly constant, then use manual with the right settings, otherwise I would use AV).

Use servo and single point focus.

With that focal length, the corners are a tad distant from the action, so if you can move down the baseline a bit, you will be better off.

Good luck!
dankopp is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of August 2012 (Fri)   #4
cansportswriting

greatly appreciate the reply. The baslines in CIS basketball are quite close to the walls so there are challenges.
Old 10th of August 2012 (Fri)   #5
dwarrenr

Concur with above. Shoot manual, f/2 at 1/640 and adjust ISO so that your are over exposing by a third to help out on the noise. Being a collegiate stadium start with your ISO around 1k then adjust. Shoot in portrait position, set AF tacking to AI Servo, and use one point for AF (middle up one point would work nicely.)

Good luck and post pics if you can.

And yes, no need for the mono-pod. Maybe bring a canoe chair so your back does not hurt from sitting on the deck the whole game.
Equipment List

Last edited by dwarrenr : 10th of August 2012 (Fri) at 11:34.
dwarrenr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of August 2012 (Fri)   #6
DC Fan
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by cansportswriting View Post
Next Wednesday (Aug 15) I have the grand assignment to shoot a Can-Am pre season university game between Tulsa (NCAA) and Brock Badgers (CIS). Both schools will be counting on my images for their respective websites.

My equipment is a Canon T2i with a EF 50mm F1.8 lense. That will be my only option. I will be situated baseline (corners) in a relatively well illuminated Gym using my trusted monopod.

Over the past year I have taken thousands of basketball action shots given my role as communications director for a grassroots basketball organization. The end result has varied as I知 still wet behind the ear with Digital photography. My main issue has been noise and I知 restricted with software to my Mac痴 iPhoto program.

I知 wondering if someone can assist me with ultimate settings for my pending photographic adventure. All suggestions are welcome but please respect that I will not be changing my equipment or software any time soon. I hope to invest in a 85mm F1.8 lens some day.

Thanks to all!
From actually having used a Canon 50mm f/1.8 II lens to take pictures at basketball games, that's a useful lens for play on the baseline.

Focal Length: 50.0mm
Aperture: f/1.8
Exposure Time: 0.0020 s (1/500)
ISO equiv: 1600
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

Aperture: f/2.0
Exposure Time: 0.0013 s (1/800)
ISO equiv: 2000
White Balance: Manual

Aperture: f/1.8
Exposure Time: 0.0013 s (1/800)
ISO equiv: 4000
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Manual

The best way to get exposure settings for basketball is by using a light meter to take incident readings on the court under the lighting where the play will take place. The examples above used settings from an incident meter that were applied to a camera set in full manual mode. Incident metering reads the light that falls on a subject, and in cases such as basketball courts where the light is constant and unchanging, it's the most accurate method to get exposure setting for manual mode.

The advantage of using manual settings for basketball is that often, as seen in the third example image, gyms have illuminated advertising signs at floor level, and automatic metering will read those signs and under expose the entire image.

Also, these example images came from a Canon 60D, which is a close match to a T2i for picture-taking capacity.

If you're upset by noise, you'll need to use noise reduction software.
DC Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of August 2012 (Fri)   #7
xchangx

No offense DC Fan, but I don't know why you are so die hard set on using a light meter. Light meters are expensive and unnecessary in my opinion. A few test shots and adjustments and you should be just fine.
My Website
xchangx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of August 2012 (Fri)   #8
watt100
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
My equipment is a Canon T2i with a EF 50mm F1.8 lense. That will be my only option.
I was going to say that's very limiting but DC Fan shows it can be done
watt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of August 2012 (Sat)   #9
Cozmocha

I used the 50 1.8 for basketball before. The focus can be all over the place a times but it can work for some decent shots when the players are not running full out.

I took this with a 50D and 50 1.8. Ended up kind of noisy and I think I shot it in jpeg... was never able to get the color to look to my liking. But it has good action. I pre focused on the basket and waited for something to happen because I didn't think it would have locked on in time.

Cozmocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of August 2012 (Sun)   #10
cansportswriting

Is the 85 1.8 a better bet for me?
Old 12th of August 2012 (Sun)   #11
dwarrenr

Yes..better FL and faster AF.
Equipment List
Old 12th of August 2012 (Sun)   #12
xchangx

It really depends on what kind of shots you are looking for. If you are at the base of the goal 85 is going to be too close.
My Website
xchangx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of August 2012 (Tue)   #13
cansportswriting

I know this is a crazy question but despite its limitations do you think I can put a canon EF-S 55-250mm lens to work in a well illuminated gym to compliment my baseline shots with the 1.8, 50mm? I appreciate that it is crazy to assume that a lens with a F4/0 will work inside but I'm looking for a cheap option to reach the benches. Is there any way I can put the 55-250 to work in a gym with more than very sub-par outcomes by cranking up the ISO.
Old 14th of August 2012 (Tue)   #14
dwarrenr

I'm not sure you can. If you are wanting a longer focal length, then that lens is a f/5.6 at 250mm. But being that it is a NCAA venue, you might be able to pull it off, but you'll be at an ISO of 12k I'm thinking. Best venue I've shot at was Bankers Life Field House (Indiana Pacers) and I was at ISO 1600 f/2.8 at 1/800. So that would put you between 6400 and 12,800 ISO. I'm not sure how well the T2i handles that high of an ISO...but a high grain image is better then a blurry image.
Equipment List
Old 14th of August 2012 (Tue)   #15
DC Fan
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
I know this is a crazy question but despite its limitations do you think I can put a canon EF-S 55-250mm lens to work in a well illuminated gym to compliment my baseline shots with the 1.8, 50mm? I appreciate that it is crazy to assume that a lens with a F4/0 will work inside but I'm looking for a cheap option to reach the benches. Is there any way I can put the 55-250 to work in a gym with more than very sub-par outcomes by cranking up the ISO.
From actual experience in the same situation,that combination can be made to work, more or less, with a high ISO and noise reduction software. These examples came from a Canon 70-300mm IS lens which is the rough equivalent of a 55-250 IS lens.

Focal Length: 300.0mm
Aperture: f/6.3
Exposure Time: 0.0031 s (1/320)
ISO equiv: 6400
Exposure: program (Auto)

Focal Length: 270.0mm
Aperture: f/7.1
Exposure Time: 0.0025 s (1/400)
ISO equiv: 6400
Exposure: program (Auto)

The results from this combination were underexposed and grainy because the shutter speed was set to stop motion. Post processing to improve exposure and noise reduction software would have helped.

Still, a preferred indoor basketball lens, nearly in universal use, is some sort of 70-200mm f/2.8. Fortunately, a third-party lens with those specifications is available at a price far lower than the Canon equivalent.
DC Fan is offline   Reply With Quote