NCAA / CIS Basketball Opportunity

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk
Thread started 10 Aug 2012 (Friday) 09:31   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

cansportswriting
Joined Apr 2012
21 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Next Wednesday (Aug 15) I have the grand assignment to shoot a Can-Am pre season university game between Tulsa (NCAA) and Brock Badgers (CIS). Both schools will be counting on my images for their respective websites.

My equipment is a Canon T2i with a EF 50mm F1.8 lense. That will be my only option. I will be situated baseline (corners) in a relatively well illuminated Gym using my trusted monopod.

Over the past year I have taken thousands of basketball action shots given my role as communications director for a grassroots basketball organization. The end result has varied as I’m still wet behind the ear with Digital photography. My main issue has been noise and I’m restricted with software to my Mac’s iPhoto program.

I’m wondering if someone can assist me with ultimate settings for my pending photographic adventure. All suggestions are welcome but please respect that I will not be changing my equipment or software any time soon. I hope to invest in a 85mm F1.8 lense some day.

Thanks to all!

Post #1, Aug 10, 2012 09:31:07

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Voaky999
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2010
2,537 posts
Edmonton,AB
[MORE/SHARE]

Well, you need a minimum shutter speed of 1/640th to start. Pretty much everything revolves around that.

Post #2, Aug 10, 2012 09:38:11

Don
I want a seat where I can see the hands of the pianist

dankopp
Joined Oct 2009
192 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

No reason to use a monopod for that setup. Your shutter speed and the size of the lens don't warrant it.

I would shoot at f2 or 2.8 and a shutter speed of at least 1/500 (faster if there is enough light, but no need to go avove 1/1000). Then figure out the right ISO (if the light is fairly constant, then use manual with the right settings, otherwise I would use AV).

Use servo and single point focus.

With that focal length, the corners are a tad distant from the action, so if you can move down the baseline a bit, you will be better off.

Good luck!

Post #3, Aug 10, 2012 09:40:44

cansportswriting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2012
21 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

greatly appreciate the reply. The baslines in CIS basketball are quite close to the walls so there are challenges.

Post #4, Aug 10, 2012 09:49:26 as a reply to dankopp's post 8 minutes earlier.

dwarrenr
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
1,650 posts
Fairland, Indiana
[MORE/SHARE]

Concur with above. Shoot manual, f/2 at 1/640 and adjust ISO so that your are over exposing by a third to help out on the noise. Being a collegiate stadium start with your ISO around 1k then adjust. Shoot in portrait position, set AF tacking to AI Servo, and use one point for AF (middle up one point would work nicely.)

Good luck and post pics if you can.

And yes, no need for the mono-pod. Maybe bring a canoe chair so your back does not hurt from sitting on the deck the whole game. :D

Post #5, Aug 10, 2012 11:30:23

D. Warren Robison
"All guys feel the need to compensate. Most compensate with sports cars. I compensate with a 400mm 2.8"
Flickrexternal link - Home Pageexternal link - MaxPreps Gallery -external linkRazziexternal link
Equipment List

sponsored links
DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
5,731 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

cansportswriting wrote in post #14839854external link
Next Wednesday (Aug 15) I have the grand assignment to shoot a Can-Am pre season university game between Tulsa (NCAA) and Brock Badgers (CIS). Both schools will be counting on my images for their respective websites.

My equipment is a Canon T2i with a EF 50mm F1.8 lense. That will be my only option. I will be situated baseline (corners) in a relatively well illuminated Gym using my trusted monopod.

Over the past year I have taken thousands of basketball action shots given my role as communications director for a grassroots basketball organization. The end result has varied as I’m still wet behind the ear with Digital photography. My main issue has been noise and I’m restricted with software to my Mac’s iPhoto program.

I’m wondering if someone can assist me with ultimate settings for my pending photographic adventure. All suggestions are welcome but please respect that I will not be changing my equipment or software any time soon. I hope to invest in a 85mm F1.8 lens some day.

Thanks to all!

From actually having used a Canon 50mm f/1.8 II lens to take pictures at basketball games, that's a useful lens for play on the baseline.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Focal Length: 50.0mm
Aperture: f/1.8
Exposure Time: 0.0020 s (1/500)
ISO equiv: 1600
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

Aperture: f/2.0
Exposure Time: 0.0013 s (1/800)
ISO equiv: 2000
White Balance: Manual

Aperture: f/1.8
Exposure Time: 0.0013 s (1/800)
ISO equiv: 4000
Exposure: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual
White Balance: Manual

The best way to get exposure settings for basketball is by using a light meter to take incident readingsexternal link on the court under the lighting where the play will take place. The examples above used settings from an incident meter that were applied to a camera set in full manual mode. Incident metering reads the light that falls on a subject, and in cases such as basketball courts where the light is constant and unchanging, it's the most accurate method to get exposure setting for manual mode.

The advantage of using manual settings for basketball is that often, as seen in the third example image, gyms have illuminated advertising signs at floor level, and automatic metering will read those signs and under expose the entire image.

Also, these example images came from a Canon 60D, which is a close match to a T2i for picture-taking capacity.

If you're upset by noise, you'll need to use noise reduction software.external link

Post #6, Aug 10, 2012 13:17:12

xchangx
Joined May 2007
502 posts
Mobile, AL
[MORE/SHARE]

No offense DC Fan, but I don't know why you are so die hard set on using a light meter. Light meters are expensive and unnecessary in my opinion. A few test shots and adjustments and you should be just fine.

Post #7, Aug 10, 2012 14:06:29

Nikon 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 400 2.8 / 600 f4
My Images with Gettyexternal link
My Sportsshooter Page
My Websiteexternal link

watt100
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2008
13,785 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

cansportswriting wrote in post #14839854external link
My equipment is a Canon T2i with a EF 50mm F1.8 lense. That will be my only option.

I was going to say that's very limiting but DC Fan shows it can be done

Post #8, Aug 10, 2012 16:49:17

Cozmocha
Joined Oct 2010
728 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I used the 50 1.8 for basketball before. The focus can be all over the place a times but it can work for some decent shots when the players are not running full out.

I took this with a 50D and 50 1.8. Ended up kind of noisy and I think I shot it in jpeg... was never able to get the color to look to my liking. But it has good action. I pre focused on the basket and waited for something to happen because I didn't think it would have locked on in time.

IMAGE: http://kurtrivers.photoshelter.com/img-get/I00002h1wNV0bJBE/s/880/644/wd=vf7RaETilcbgB0qZGkd0O944Rqybd2upxRo45wlu8uXpgv2J1LTyg5xqSz1iLL9ogYSC/I00002h1wNV0bJBE.jpg

Post #9, Aug 11, 2012 00:12:10

-Kurt
www.kurtriversphoto.co​mexternal link || http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/kurtriversexternal link

cansportswriting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2012
21 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Is the 85 1.8 a better bet for me?

Post #10, Aug 12, 2012 14:14:43

dwarrenr
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
1,650 posts
Fairland, Indiana
[MORE/SHARE]

Yes..better FL and faster AF.

Post #11, Aug 12, 2012 19:24:27

D. Warren Robison
"All guys feel the need to compensate. Most compensate with sports cars. I compensate with a 400mm 2.8"
Flickrexternal link - Home Pageexternal link - MaxPreps Gallery -external linkRazziexternal link
Equipment List

sponsored links
xchangx
Joined May 2007
502 posts
Mobile, AL
[MORE/SHARE]

It really depends on what kind of shots you are looking for. If you are at the base of the goal 85 is going to be too close.

Post #12, Aug 12, 2012 21:44:09

Nikon 2x D3s / D3 / 17-35 2.8 / 70-200 2.8 / 400 2.8 / 600 f4
My Images with Gettyexternal link
My Sportsshooter Page
My Websiteexternal link

cansportswriting
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2012
21 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I know this is a crazy question but despite its limitations do you think I can put a canon EF-S 55-250mm lens to work in a well illuminated gym to compliment my baseline shots with the 1.8, 50mm? I appreciate that it is crazy to assume that a lens with a F4/0 will work inside but I'm looking for a cheap option to reach the benches. Is there any way I can put the 55-250 to work in a gym with more than very sub-par outcomes by cranking up the ISO.

Post #13, Aug 14, 2012 09:52:26

dwarrenr
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2009
1,650 posts
Fairland, Indiana
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm not sure you can. If you are wanting a longer focal length, then that lens is a f/5.6 at 250mm. But being that it is a NCAA venue, you might be able to pull it off, but you'll be at an ISO of 12k I'm thinking. Best venue I've shot at was Bankers Life Field House (Indiana Pacers) and I was at ISO 1600 f/2.8 at 1/800. So that would put you between 6400 and 12,800 ISO. I'm not sure how well the T2i handles that high of an ISO...but a high grain image is better then a blurry image. :D

Post #14, Aug 14, 2012 11:04:42

D. Warren Robison
Equipment List

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
5,731 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

cansportswriting wrote in post #14856872external link
I know this is a crazy question but despite its limitations do you think I can put a canon EF-S 55-250mm lens to work in a well illuminated gym to compliment my baseline shots with the 1.8, 50mm? I appreciate that it is crazy to assume that a lens with a F4/0 will work inside but I'm looking for a cheap option to reach the benches. Is there any way I can put the 55-250 to work in a gym with more than very sub-par outcomes by cranking up the ISO.

From actual experience in the same situation,that combination can be made to work, more or less, with a high ISO and noise reduction software. These examples came from a Canon 70-300mm IS lens which is the rough equivalent of a 55-250 IS lens.

Focal Length: 300.0mm
Aperture: f/6.3
Exposure Time: 0.0031 s (1/320)
ISO equiv: 6400
Exposure: program (Auto)

Focal Length: 270.0mm
Aperture: f/7.1
Exposure Time: 0.0025 s (1/400)
ISO equiv: 6400
Exposure: program (Auto)

The results from this combination were underexposed and grainy because the shutter speed was set to stop motion. Post processing to improve exposure and noise reduction softwareexternal link would have helped.

Still, a preferred indoor basketball lens, nearly in universal use, is some sort of 70-200mm f/2.8. Fortunately, a third-party lens with those specificationsexternal link is available at a price far lower than the Canon equivalent.

Post #15, Aug 14, 2012 11:17:25

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,991 views & 0 likes for this thread
NCAA / CIS Basketball Opportunity
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES