Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Transportation Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th of August 2012 (Fri)   #1
Keedo
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 341
Default Learning Automotive Photography

Hey, i take a lot of pictures of cars and most of the time theyre at night.

So, i was wondering what settings you guys start your settings off with?
I always use a tripod, a hood. Getting a shutter cable soon.

I have a T3i with a sigma 10-20 .4. And the 18-55 kit lens, along with the kit telephotolens. I have a CPL for the 18 kit lens.

I was wondering if there were any lens's out there that you guys reccomend? I am not a fan of the start affect i get from lights and is there any way to get rid of flares besides using a hood?

Also, what are some angles i should be shooting at? I mainly shoot with my UWA from the front or the front corner of the vehicle. I try to get a lot of sky in the picture too.

Any suggestions help, thanks!
Keedo is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of August 2012 (Fri)   #2
PhotosGuy
Moderator
 
PhotosGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: S. E. Michigan
Posts: 68,773
Default Re: Learning Automotive Photography

Since you aren't sharing images, I need to move this thread to "T. Talk".

What kind of "night shots"? Look at the difference between the first & 2nd shots here: Ships at Dusk
Some of the best "night shots" I've seen were taken before it's totally dark while there's still some light left in the sky. Try one when there's just a tiny bit of light left in the sky after sunset.

And: 2011 Chevy Cruze Sedan LS
__________________
FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
www.FrankCizek.com

Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?

New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.
PhotosGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of August 2012 (Fri)   #3
Keedo
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago IL
Posts: 341
Default Re: Learning Automotive Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotosGuy View Post
Since you aren't sharing images, I need to move this thread to "T. Talk".

What kind of "night shots"? Look at the difference between the first & 2nd shots here: Ships at Dusk
Some of the best "night shots" I've seen were taken before it's totally dark while there's still some light left in the sky. Try one when there's just a tiny bit of light left in the sky after sunset.

And: 2011 Chevy Cruze Sedan LS
Sorry for posting in the wrong section, thanks for moving it.

Checking out the links now, thhanks!
Keedo is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of August 2012 (Fri)   #4
lambocars
Member
 
lambocars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Europe
Posts: 322
Default Re: Learning Automotive Photography

You might want to take a look at the tutorials I've written on automotive photography at CarPhotoTutorials.com
lambocars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of August 2012 (Fri)   #5
DC Fan
Cream of the Crop
 
DC Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,651
Default Re: Learning Automotive Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keedo View Post
Hey, i take a lot of pictures of cars and most of the time theyre at night.

So, i was wondering what settings you guys start your settings off with?
I always use a tripod, a hood. Getting a shutter cable soon.

I have a T3i with a sigma 10-20 .4. And the 18-55 kit lens, along with the kit telephotolens. I have a CPL for the 18 kit lens.

I was wondering if there were any lens's out there that you guys reccomend? I am not a fan of the start affect i get from lights and is there any way to get rid of flares besides using a hood?

Also, what are some angles i should be shooting at? I mainly shoot with my UWA from the front or the front corner of the vehicle. I try to get a lot of sky in the picture too.

Any suggestions help, thanks!

From actually having used a Canon 18-55mm lens, the camera just goes into Program AE. The idea is to concentrate on framing and let the camera handle the exposure decisions. Examples:




Focal Length: 18.0mm
Aperture: f/3.5
Exposure Time: 0.033 s (1/30)
ISO equiv: 250
Exposure Bias: +0.67 EV
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: program (Auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB





Focal Length: 18.0mm
Aperture: f/3.5
Exposure Time: 0.033 s (1/30)
ISO equiv: 250
Exposure Bias: none
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB



Focal Length: 21.0mm
Aperture: f/3.5
Exposure Time: 0.025 s (1/40)
ISO equiv: 1250
Exposure Bias: +0.33 EV
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: program (Auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

The Canon 18-55mm lens used here is an image stabilizer lens, which eases hand-holding with slow shutter speeds indoors, as seen here. All of these examples were taken hand-held, no tripod, using available light.

Also, using Canon Live View cameras, such as the T2i that generated these examples, allows accurate framing at angles where the viewfinder is not held against the face and eases the creation of low-angle images such as those seen here.
DC Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of August 2012 (Sat)   #6
GFWilliams
Member
 
GFWilliams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 190
Default Re: Learning Automotive Photography

Don't forget to check out the links in photoguy's sig...
GFWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of September 2012 (Thu)   #7
Perfectly Frank
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,844
Default Re: Learning Automotive Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambocars View Post
You might want to take a look at the tutorials I've written on automotive photography at CarPhotoTutorials.com
+1 Some useful information here.
__________________
flickr
smugmug
Perfectly Frank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of September 2012 (Thu)   #8
Tony_Stark
Goldmember
 
Tony_Stark's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Toronto, Canada
Posts: 3,990
Default Re: Learning Automotive Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFWilliams View Post
Don't forget to check out the links in photoguy's sig...
__________________
Canon 6D | 17-40L | 50L
EOS M | 22 f/2 STM

Website | Flickr | Facebook | Automotive Portfolio | Instagram
Tony_Stark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of September 2012 (Fri)   #9
StE823
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 429
Default Re: Learning Automotive Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFWilliams View Post
Don't forget to check out the links in photoguy's sig...
__________________
http://www.shutterlit.com
StE823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Want to get into automotive photography! Tony_Stark The Business of Photography 14 13th of September 2011 (Tue) 17:01
Automotive Photography Roy Hernandez Critique Corner 5 5th of February 2007 (Mon) 17:45
New here, My automotive photography... RebelXTfotoz Transportation 8 18th of April 2006 (Tue) 21:42


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:19.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This forum is not affiliated with Canon in any way and is run as a free user helpsite by Pekka Saarinen, Helsinki Finland. You will need to register in order to be able to post messages. Cookies are required for registering and posting. HTML in messages is not allowed, plain website addresses are automatically made active by the board.