Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Other Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 27 Aug 2012 (Monday) 08:16
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photokina 2012 Predictions / Rumors

rjx
Goldmember
2,667 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Santa Clara, California
Aug 27, 2012 08:16 |  #1

So what are you hoping might be announced?

Here’s my list (in no order):

-- Nikon entry level full frame DSLR ✓ D600external link

-- Canon entry level full frame DSLR ✓ 6Dexternal link

-- Canon high megapixel full frame DSLR

-- New Sony SLT full frame DSLR ✓ A99external link

-- Sony mirrorless full frame (Nex?) ✓ RX1external link

-- Fujifilm FinePix X100 replacement (X200?)
crutchfield.comexternal link says the X100 has been discontinued, however, Fujifilm UKexternal link says the camera is not discontinued and still in production. And Fujifilm USAexternal link basically said the same thing.

-- Fujifilm lower-end and higher-end versions of the X-Pro1. Very excited about these!
Fuji already hinted "the X-Pro1 will be accompanied by at least one less expensive model.external link" And now these images (image 1external link & image 2external link) have surfaced of the entry level X camera, the Fujifilm X-E1.
AND, there are rumors of a higher end X model (full frame?) that might be announced. We'll see. ✓ X-E1external link

-- Leica compact mirrorless
"Leica bosses have revealed plans to announce a compact system camera at Photokina 2012 in a bid to compete with the likes of Panasonic, Olympus, Sony and Samsung." Sourceexternal link
Perhaps this is the "economical" Leica camera DSLR Magazine reported on Twitterexternal link

-- Leica M10 ✓ Leica "M"external link
Adoramaexternal linkand BHexternal linkhave discounts for the M9 / M9-P. Maybe the M10 will be announced.

-- Supposedly Hasselblad is going to make a big announcement, possibly regarding a mirrorless camera featuring a sensor double the size of a FF sensor featuring a CMOS sensor. Source 1external link & Source 2external link :shock:
"one of the surprises for the "Kina" is a new model of Hasselblad!" Linkexternal link
"Hasselblad is planning a rapid expansion of cutting edge capture products and is set to target new imaging markets following the company's acquisition by Ventizz Capital Fund IV, LP, a private equity investor exclusively advised by Swiss- and Germany based Ventizz Capital Partners AG." Sourceexternal link

Edit: I just noticed the Nikon D7000 is being sold with a $200 instant discount. The camera was announced on Sep 15, 2010. Could we be seeing a Nikon D8000?

Of course, there are many more rumors flying around the internet but these are the one's i'm most interested in. What are you hoping might happen?

"It doesn't matter what camera you have if your photography has nothing worthwhile to say"
“Photos are everywhere. You just have to know how to look.”

sponsored links
Echo ­ Johnson
433 posts
Joined Aug 2011
UK
Aug 27, 2012 08:54 |  #2

rjx wrote in post #14912109external link
-- Supposedly Hasselblad is going to make a big announcement, possibly regarding a mirrorless camera featuring a sensor double the size of a FF sensor featuring a CMOS sensor. Source 1external link & Source 2external link :shock:
"one of the surprises for the "Kina" is a new model of Hasselblad!" Linkexternal link
"Hasselblad is planning a rapid expansion of cutting edge capture products and is set to target new imaging markets following the company's acquisition by Ventizz Capital Fund IV, LP, a private equity investor exclusively advised by Swiss- and Germany based Ventizz Capital Partners AG." Sourceexternal link

Hasselblad's sensors are already twice the size of FF - assuming you're talking about Canon/Nikon/Sony digital FF/35mm - so the size is nothing new. CMOS, though.. (y)

Personally, I'm looking forward to seeing the entry-level full-frame cameras, if they materialize. A full-frame (non-Lecia) mirrorless would be interesting too.
That said, though only camera I'd contemplate picking up is a mirrorless that supports autofocus on EOS-mount lenses - and that camera has already been announced.

Canon 5D3 | 17-40 | 50/1.4 | 135/2
...and other stuff.
Flickrexternal link | EchoJ.deviantARTexternal link

gjl711
They have pills for that now you know.
53,208 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Deep in the heart of Texas
Aug 27, 2012 09:06 |  #3

I don't see a FF entry level camera. What would you take away from the current 5DMkII or MkIII to make it cheaper? Plastic body maybe but other then that, the MkII is pretty basic already. So strip it of it's features like:
Body = plastic
remove microfocus adjustment
Go back to the 7 point AF of the old old Rebels
Remove highligh priority
Stick in old old 50k shutter from rebels
remove video
remove top lcd
remove second adjustment control
go back to 2" LCD lowres
go back to DigicII - slow frame rate, small buffer

You still want one?

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Osiriz
622 posts
Joined Jul 2012
Norway
Aug 27, 2012 09:24 |  #4

gjl711 wrote in post #14912316external link
I don't see a FF entry level camera. What would you take away from the current 5DMkII or MkIII to make it cheaper? Plastic body maybe but other then that, the MkII is pretty basic already. So strip it of it's features like:
Body = plastic
remove microfocus adjustment
Go back to the 7 point AF of the old old Rebels
Remove highligh priority
Stick in old old 50k shutter from rebels
remove video
remove top lcd
remove second adjustment control
go back to 2" LCD lowres
go back to DigicII - slow frame rate, small buffer

You still want one?

Take the 5D3 and lower the frame rate to 2 FPS (or even lower).
Cripple it's high ISO performance.
Remove in camera HDR and some other features. (perhaps the top lcd)
Remove 5D3 AF, and add 7D AF.

And then..

Add a brand new sensor that can produce 15 stops of DR between ISO 100 - 400. (+ no banding!)
And finally: Put all of this in a smallish light weight plastic body!

I'd buy two of these entry level cameras. :D

rjx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,667 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Santa Clara, California
Aug 27, 2012 15:54 |  #5

Echo Johnson wrote in post #14912276external link
Hasselblad's sensors are already twice the size of FF - assuming you're talking about Canon/Nikon/Sony digital FF/35mm - so the size is nothing new. CMOS, though.. (y)

Yeah but i'm excited because (if it's real) it sounds "to me" like it might be much more affordable than their medium format systems due to the mirrorless part of the rumor?
If they could produce a DSLR-like body with a sensor larger than FF, faster FPS and price it competitively between the 5D3/D800 - D4/1DX, Hassy could regain the wedding photography industry and chip away at the consumer portrait industry and even some commercial photogs that use Canikon.

I'm spending way too much time thinking about gear, especially gear that might not even exist. :lol:

"It doesn't matter what camera you have if your photography has nothing worthwhile to say"

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,059 posts
Gallery: 35 photos
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Aug 27, 2012 16:54 |  #6

I'm hoping for a high MP Canon DSLR with a native ISO range of 50-6400 (3D, 3DX, whatever). I'm expecting disappointment. Disappointment is a entry-level FF.

For Nikon, I'm hoping for a D900/D900E to replace the D800/D800E. The D900/D900E's major new feature? A non-crappy live view. ;)

Seriously, I guess Nikon will do an entry level FF (which is just fine since they already have a high MP camera). The thing Nikon desperately needs is ultra-sharp highly-corrected wide-angle tilt-shifts competitive with the Canon TS-E 17 and 24 II.

David | Flickr (external link)

weeatmice
761 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Essex UK
Aug 27, 2012 16:58 |  #7

I'm also curious about the entry level FF, it would be unusual for canon to release somthing cheaper than the 5D2 that is actually better, yet there isnt much to remove - unless its all build quality and features stuff.

FS: UK: 1D Mark IV.
Twopixel.co.ukexternal link | 500pxexternal link | flickrexternal link | Twitterexternal link | Pinterestexternal link |

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,059 posts
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Aug 27, 2012 17:04 |  #8

weeatmice wrote in post #14914319external link
I'm also curious about the entry level FF, it would be unusual for canon to release somthing cheaper than the 5D2 that is actually better, yet there isnt much to remove - unless its all build quality and features stuff.

My feelings exactly. If Canon wants to sell an entry level FF camera, they already have it: the 5D2.

gjl711
53,208 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Aug 27, 2012 17:32 |  #9

David Arbogast wrote in post #14914345external link
My feelings exactly. If Canon wants to sell an entry level FF camera, they already have it: the 5D2.

That's my feeling as well. I could,t imagine a camera with fewer features then the MkII selling well.

KHAWACHEN
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2011
Aug 27, 2012 18:03 |  #10

gjl711 wrote in post #14914493external link
That's my feeling as well. I could,t imagine a camera with fewer features then the MkII selling well.

David Arbogast wrote in post #14914345external link

I don't see why Canon can't release and "entry" level FF camera that sits between 5D2 and 5D3. With all these what seems to be credible "rumors" about D600, Canon must know that Nikon will definitely release a FF that's cheaper than D800 so they have to respond.

Therefore they (Canon) could:

1) Stop manufacturing 5D2
2) Announce the new "Entry" level FF Camera with features between 5D2 & 5D3. Price it around $2299
3) Drop the price on 5D2 to say $1599 thus letting the remaining 5D2 to sell out.

IMO anything that brings FF sensor to the mass is a good thing, regardless of the brand.

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
10,059 posts
Joined Aug 2010
West Point, Georgia
Aug 27, 2012 18:13 |  #11

KHAWACHEN wrote in post #14914614external link
I don't see why Canon can't release and "entry" level FF camera that sits between 5D2 and 5D3. With all these what seems to be credible "rumors" about D600, Canon must know that Nikon will definitely release a FF that's cheaper than D800 so they have to respond.

Therefore they (Canon) could:

1) Stop manufacturing 5D2
2) Announce the new "Entry" level FF Camera with features between 5D2 & 5D3. Price it around $2299
3) Drop the price on 5D2 to say $1599 thus letting the remaining 5D2 to sell out.

IMO anything that brings FF sensor to the mass is a good thing, regardless of the brand.

But what is the main difference between a 5D III and a 5D II? A 61 point AF system vs a 9 point AF system. In other words it's hard to squeeze something in-between when the two are mostly the same except the 5D III's advanced AF system and a few other little odds and ends (built-in level, etc). I'm not disagreeing with you at all...Canon may quite well announce just what you're saying, but it just makes no sense to me because the feature-set difference between the 5D II and 5D III is fairly small as it is. :)

gjl711
53,208 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Aug 27, 2012 18:24 |  #12

David Arbogast wrote in post #14914658external link
But what is the main difference between a 5D III and a 5D II? A 61 point AF system vs a 9 point AF system. In other words it's hard to squeeze something in-between when the two are mostly the same except the 5D III's advanced AF system and a few other little odds and ends (built-in level, etc). I'm not disagreeing with you at all...Canon may quite well announce just what you're saying, but it just makes no sense to me because the feature-set difference between the 5D II and 5D III is fairly small as it is. :)

Exactly. New AF, slight sensor change and a new digic processor they are the same camera.

cepaw
133 posts
Joined Sep 2010
Aug 27, 2012 19:10 |  #13

I think the 5dii has been replaced. Canon will discontinue it. Make a new entry level FF camera. Digic 5, better af, iso, smaller, lighter, multiple card slots. Look at the new features on a t4i and say a 7d. For the price difference the rebel looks pretty nice. I expect to see a new top crop as well

www.michaelrhodesphoto​graphy.comexternal link

gjl711
53,208 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Aug 27, 2012 20:26 |  #14

cepaw wrote in post #14914890external link
I think the 5dii has been replaced. Canon will discontinue it. Make a new entry level FF camera. Digic 5, better af, iso, smaller, lighter, multiple card slots. Look at the new features on a t4i and say a 7d. For the price difference the rebel looks pretty nice. I expect to see a new top crop as well

I agree, the MkII is being phased out but the camera you are describing is the MkIII. Digic 5, better AF, multiple card slots, so where is the cost savings gonna come from?

rjx
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,667 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Santa Clara, California
Aug 27, 2012 22:24 |  #15

Sweet, we might be seeing the D8000. Edited my original post.

sponsored links

15,403 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photokina 2012 Predictions / Rumors
FORUMS News & Rumors Other Rumors and Predictions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.