Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 27 Aug 2012 (Monday) 20:41
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

I don't want to be in this photographer shoes

FrankyV
60 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Toronto.Canada
Aug 27, 2012 20:41 |  #1

MONTREAL - "I can't anymore, it's too heavy," were the last words of Maria Pantazopoulos before she let go of the photographer and drowned in a river north of Montreal Friday afternoon.

The recently married 30-year-old was in her wedding dress having her pictures taken by photographer Louis Pagakis. They were shooting by the river's edge at around 2 p.m., in the town of Rawdon, Que., about 75 km north of Montreal.

Pagakis' wife, Anouk Benzacar, spoke on behalf of her husband to QMI Agency on Saturday. Benzacar was not at the river Friday, neither was Pantazopoulos' husband, Billy.

Billy and Pantazopoulos were married in June.

Benzacar said she was friends with Pantazopoulos, who wanted to get rid of the wedding dress in a stylish way.

The trendy phenomenon is called "trash the dress," where women find creative ways to get rid of their wedding dresses. Many married woman take photos of their dress-destroying escapades.

Pantazopoulos hired Pagakis to take photos of her trashing her wedding outfit.

"At one point, she told him, 'I want you to take some photos of me floating in the water'," Benzacar said.

Soon after entering the water, Pantazopoulos realized the weight of her wet dress was pulling her under, Benzacar said.

Benzacar said Pagakis jumped in the water to save Pantazopoulos, but the wedding dress was dragging both of them down.

"She was screaming and scratching and trying to stay above water," Benzacar said. "(Louis) tried to swim with her, but she was pulling him down. She was too heavy. He couldn't breathe anymore."

The dress, saturated in water, would have weighed at least 100 pounds, said provincial policeman Jean-Michel Masse.

"It was like an anvil," Masse said.

Provincial police told QMI Agency that swimming is forbidden in that part of the river due to the fast currents.

Police found Pantazopoulos' body around 6 p.m. Friday.

Leeza Pouhoulidis, a friend of Pantazopoulos' family and who spoke on behalf of relatives, told QMI Agency that the family is devastated.

"Her husband, Billy, and her mother, are destroyed," Pouhoulidis said.

Pouhoulidis said Pantazopoulos and Billy had just bought a home in Laval, Que., just north of Montreal, and they wanted to start a family immediately.

"She was small, but very strong mentally and physically," Pouhoulidis Said. "She loved to have fun. She loved life."
:cry::cry::cry:

sponsored links
mannetti21
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
Connecticut
Aug 27, 2012 21:10 |  #2

Somebody is going to chastise me for this, but despite this being an absolutely tragic event, there is a high degree of stupidity present on behalf of all parties involved. Personally, I think the photog should be the last person of the group to catch any heat for this.

Again, this really is a sad story, and I don't know what I'd do with myself if that was my wife, but I don't understand how nobody said "wait a second, maybe this is a bad idea."

For Sale: 82mm Marumi Super-DHG CPL filter in mint condition --> http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​473868
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

FrankyV
THREAD ­ STARTER
60 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Toronto.Canada
Aug 28, 2012 12:26 |  #3

mannetti21 wrote in post #14915381external link
Somebody is going to chastise me for this, but despite this being an absolutely tragic event, there is a high degree of stupidity present on behalf of all parties involved. Personally, I think the photog should be the last person of the group to catch any heat for this.

Again, this really is a sad story, and I don't know what I'd do with myself if that was my wife, but I don't understand how nobody said "wait a second, maybe this is a bad idea."

Indeed a tragic event. :cry:two people are to blame, the deceased bride and the photog.
since she passed, the only person to take the heat would the Photog in my opinion.

I find it hard to believe she planned or imagined this trash the dress event in fast running water.

I don't know how the photog will escape a mega law suite !!!

cheers and good luck

sure did open my eye on get the shot attitude..

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,494 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Aug 28, 2012 12:29 |  #4

I would not make the photographer the "last person." The photographer is the professional and the director. This is not different from a contractor being asked by a client to make a home renovation that is against building code or against normal best practices.

I have had to make plenty of decisions on location whether a location or a pose was too risky for a client. I never have a client stand or sit anywhere I haven't stood or sat first...and this includes wading out into water or walking on rocks. I want to be sure for myself just how stable and sure the footing or seating is.

We can't guard against every possibility or even against the "worst case scenario," but we can and should take measures against the "highly possible very bad case."

I've lived on the ocean before, and it's always possible for a freakishly huge wave to come in when you don't expect it. It's always possible for someone to slip and fall into relatively shallow water. Those are "highly possible very bad cases" that you should be prepared for, such as having an assistant with a rope and life preserver or vest who knows rescue is part of his job.

Kirill
728 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Chicago Burbs, IL
Aug 28, 2012 12:49 |  #5

mannetti21 wrote in post #14915381external link
but I don't understand how nobody said "wait a second, maybe this is a bad idea."

Sad truth is people who do that don't end up in the news. There may be 100s of trash the dress shoot when bride wants to jump thru hoop of fire or ride a tigers - somebody says "it's not a good idea" and labeled as party pooper.

fitshaced
442 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Aug 30, 2012 04:54 |  #6

I dont think it was the photographers suggestion to enter the water. The woman asked for her to be shot whilst floating in the water.

http://www.flickr.com/​photos/picsbykev/external link

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,494 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Aug 30, 2012 06:17 |  #7

fitshaced wrote in post #14925398external link
I dont think it was the photographers suggestion to enter the water. The woman asked for her to be shot whilst floating in the water.

And the professional photographer should check it out first, not rely on liability insurance.

mannetti21
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2010
Connecticut
Aug 30, 2012 13:46 |  #8

Regardless of who is providing what professional service, at some point common sense has to kick in. I'm not seeing how the photographer in this situation could be held any more responsible than if a photographer in another situation said "Hey, if you leap off this bridge, I think it would make a really great shot...why don't you go for it?" If he had pushed her off the bridge (or into the water), then that's a different story.

On the other hand, 10yrs ago my grandparents were sued because a would-be burglar tripped down the steps and broke his femur as my grandfather chased him out of the house...so I guess anything is possible.

For Sale: 82mm Marumi Super-DHG CPL filter in mint condition --> http://photography-on-the.net .../showthread.php?t=1​473868
My Buyer/Seller Feedback

fitshaced
442 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Aug 30, 2012 14:03 |  #9

RDKirk wrote in post #14925528external link
And the professional photographer should check it out first, not rely on liability insurance.

He'd have to try on the dress for that. Common sense should apply but that's with the woman wearing the 'anvil'.

stillinamerica
Goldmember
1,275 posts
Joined Oct 2009
Alabama
Aug 30, 2012 16:46 |  #10

If he directed her in any way, it's not good.

Tragic event. I won't shoot one of these sessions now.

[CENTER]My Facebook (please like me) My Websiteexternal link[/
Canon Gear: 5D Mark3, 16-35L 24-70L, 70-200 2.8L, 50L

sorpa
Joined May 2007
Montréal
Aug 30, 2012 16:50 |  #11

mannetti21 wrote in post #14927084external link
On the other hand, 10yrs ago my grandparents were sued because a would-be burglar tripped down the steps and broke his femur as my grandfather chased him out of the house...so I guess anything is possible.

Oh come on man, don't tell me that your grandpa was found guilty.

fitshaced
442 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Aug 30, 2012 17:00 |  #12

lui-même wrote in post #14927857external link
Oh come on man, don't tell me that your grandpa was found guilty.

That happens

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
12,494 posts
Joined May 2004
USA
Aug 30, 2012 18:13 |  #13

fitshaced wrote in post #14927148external link
He'd have to try on the dress for that. Common sense should apply but that's with the woman wearing the 'anvil'.

I've never worn a wet wedding gown or even a dry one; I've pulled wet clothes out of a washing machine, though.

I never place a subject anywhere I haven't been. I scout locations beforehand at the same day of the week and time of day that I'd be there for a session, and I actually sit or stand anywhere I'd expect to put a subject.

In that case, yes, I'd have already waded out into the water to determine how solid the footing was. I already know wet clothing is heavy--if the footing was also treacherous, I wouldn't put a subject there.

A professional photographer is supposed to be in control of the session. That's what we keep telling ourselves, it's what we convey to our clients.

fitshaced
442 posts
Joined Jul 2011
Aug 30, 2012 19:15 |  #14

RDKirk wrote in post #14928165external link
I've never worn a wet wedding gown or even a dry one; I've pulled wet clothes out of a washing machine, though.

I never place a subject anywhere I haven't been. I scout locations beforehand at the same day of the week and time of day that I'd be there for a session, and I actually sit or stand anywhere I'd expect to put a subject.

In that case, yes, I'd have already waded out into the water to determine how solid the footing was. I already know wet clothing is heavy--if the footing was also treacherous, I wouldn't put a subject there.

A professional photographer is supposed to be in control of the session. That's what we keep telling ourselves, it's what we convey to our clients.

Sure, but the photographer isnt guilty of manslaughter. Stupidity, maybe.

Kirill
728 posts
Joined Jul 2009
Chicago Burbs, IL
Aug 30, 2012 19:36 |  #15

fitshaced wrote in post #14928379external link
Sure, but the photographer isnt guilty of manslaughter. Stupidity, maybe.

Unfortunately as paid professional he is not allowed to be stupid.

sponsored links

9,655 views & 0 likes for this thread
I don't want to be in this photographer shoes
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.