Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 28 Aug 2012 (Tuesday) 22:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon confirm 7D v2.0.0 firmware freezing issue

AC1
Hatchling
8 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Auckland, NZ
Aug 28, 2012 22:22 |  #1

New user here but old poster on DPR. Just thought I'd pop by to update you on my recent experience and breaking news from Canon regarding problems with freezing with my 7D post upgrade to firmware v2.0.0.

After 2 weeks of freezing problems I volunteered my sickly 7D body to Canon here in Auckland, NZ on Monday. As it turns out another kiwi user also sent them his continuously freezing 7D so for the last 2 days Canon NZ have had 2 bodies to experiment with.

They just called me to tell me they have indeed identified a freezing problem with the new v2.0.0 firmware and are waiting for another update/fix from Canon ASAP. But they don't have a date as yet.

Until now this freezing problem has been rumour and speculation (and I guess it still will be for many of you until Canon officially confirm it - not sure when that will be). And I appreciate that hearing it from a newbie poster here with no prior credentials will make many of your understandably sceptical....

But for those of you able to give me the benefit of the doubt, and if you are in the unfortunate position of having upgraded and experienced freezing problems, rest assured that you are NOT going nuts and that Canon now acknowledge the problem. Or at least locally here in NZ Canon have verbally confirmed it to me about an hour ago.

Meanwhile, suggest you disable APO and sit tight for the new firmware fix.

And if you haven't already updated to v2.0.0, my suggestion is not to do it yet but wait.

sponsored links
5x5 ­ photography
Goldmember
1,156 posts
Joined Feb 2009
North Carolina
Aug 28, 2012 23:58 |  #2

Both of my 7Ds have been updated to the new firmware (done about a day after it was released) and I have shot several jobs with both (stills and video) and all sorts of Canon lenses. My bodies are set to power off after 8 min and both have done so on a regular basis (just today several times) and no issues on my end but Google does yield results on your topic.
I hope it is a small issues that will be corrected very soon.

My firearms review site. http://rangehot.com/external link

javierz0509
744 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Miami FL
Aug 29, 2012 00:00 |  #3

wow i hope they fix it asap. i havent had any freeze up issue on my end after the update, what can i test to see if my would freeze up?

Follow me on Facebookexternal link - Canon 5D MK3 - 85mm f/1.8 - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

romeokc10
75 posts
Joined Jul 2007
California
Aug 29, 2012 00:05 |  #4

Thanks for the update, I'll be holding off on this update for now.

javierz0509
744 posts
Joined Apr 2012
Miami FL
Aug 29, 2012 00:07 |  #5

i have mine set to turn off at 1 min and nothing happen it does what is suppose to.

Follow me on Facebookexternal link - Canon 5D MK3 - 85mm f/1.8 - 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Rudix
Joined Dec 2004
Pretoria, South Africa
Aug 29, 2012 00:14 |  #6

This is good news!

The only way I can prevent mine from freezing up every now and then, at the most inconvenient moments, is to set auto power off to never!

Bruno1520
163 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Christchurch, New Zealand
Aug 29, 2012 01:32 |  #7

Hi AC1 and welcome to POTN forums. Im the 'another Kiwi user' :).

I have posted some of my experiences with the 7D firmware V2.0 here:
http://photography-on-the.net ...?p=14909939&postcou​nt=350
http://photography-on-the.net ...?p=14911154&postcou​nt=352

This is good news from Canon NZ and perhaps Ill hear from them via the ChCh shop I sent it back to them through.
When I rang Canon in Auckland on Monday he did say may be they will have to roll the firmware back.

I'm hurrying up and waiting!

Regards, Ray

http://www.pbase.com/b​runo1520external link

FlatBattery
102 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Staffordshire, England
Aug 29, 2012 03:07 |  #8

Thanks for the update, I'll be holding off on this update for now.

Ditto

ceriltheblade
Goldmember
2,474 posts
Joined Mar 2007
middle east
Aug 29, 2012 03:33 |  #9

^^+2
p.s. are there reports of this happening outside of NZ?

7D/5dIII
50 1.8 II, MP-E65, 85 II, 100 IS
8-15 FE, 10-22, 16-35 IS, 24-105, 70-200 f4IS, 100-400 ii, tamron 28-75 2.8
600 ex-rt, 055xproB/488rc2/Sirui k40x, kenko extens tubes

Ouessant
741 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Versailles, France
Aug 29, 2012 03:58 |  #10

This bug was also reported here in France.

François
flickrexternal link

WhiteFordFalcon
23 posts
Joined Jun 2010
Western, MA
Aug 29, 2012 04:31 |  #11

Thanks for this post and information... I honestly thought I was going crazy. Never had lockup before with my 7d, but did several times shooting my son's football game last weekend with my "upgraded" camera. I too will need to adjust my power off timing to avoid this as it seems to happen at the most in opportune times. Takes time to drop the battery and cycle on and off.

Now where did I put that spare battery? I'm gonna need it ! :)

oldvultureface
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
Northwest Indiana USA
Aug 29, 2012 04:40 as a reply to Ouessant's post |  #12

I updated immediately after the firmware was released. My APO has always been set to one minute and I have never shut the camera off with the switch except when charging the battery, packing the camera, or after a firmware update (and pulling the battery after the camera reboots following the update). No issues whatsoever.

ṐṼḞ

mrkgoo
Goldmember
2,289 posts
Joined Aug 2006
Aug 29, 2012 06:08 |  #13

I haven't had any lock up yet on my 7D. Will Send my 40mm off to Canon NZ sometimes soon for that firmware update, however.

phreeky
Goldmember
3,471 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Australia
Aug 29, 2012 06:42 |  #14

I'm not even sure my 7D had auto powered off since I updated the firmware, I haven't used it much lately. Have just turned it on and will test it out.

Lester ­ Wareham
Joined Jul 2005
Hampshire, UK
Aug 29, 2012 06:50 |  #15

I have had this problem and my 7D is auto offing and comming up again in several modes, Av, M & C1.

Can the people experiencing this clarify if they are using accessories like grips, have they tried different lenses, different cards etc.

My Photography Home Page (external link) RSS Feed (external link)
Gear List
FAQ on UV and Clear Protective Filters
Macrophotography by LordV

sponsored links

16,298 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon confirm 7D v2.0.0 firmware freezing issue
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.