Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 30 Aug 2012 (Thursday) 16:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Manual focus screens

sdblade
66 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Aug 30, 2012 16:43 |  #1

Having read many threads about this subject I am still none the wiser with regards to manual focussing screens. I use a variety of old lenses ranging from f/1.8 to f/4 and I sometimes have a hard time focussing via the standard veiwfinder in my 60D. I want to purchase a second screen to aid focussing but I'm unsure which to go for. Several seem to be just for alignment as the have grid lines etched on them. Others seem to be focussing aids but only work with f2.8 or faster and become darker with smaller apetures. I know I can get a split prism focussing screen for $100 or so but I was wondering if anyone out there in POTNland had the same issue and could recommend which screen may solve my problems. All input is welcome.

Thanks in advance.............

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,151 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Aug 30, 2012 17:40 |  #2

Realize first that focusing screens in dSLRs is deliberately brighter, due to the light which is lost when it is diverted to the AF sensor instead of up to your eye.

Realize also that focusing screens like Ex-S are 'coarser' in texture than the standard screen, so that they are more precise in displaying focus and work well with faster lenses like f/2.8, but appear to be darker for slower lenses like f/5.6 because of the light which is still diverted to the AF sensor

Also realize that aftermarket screens with focusing aids in the center help with focus, but at the expense of introducing metering error (up to 3EV error) especially in Spot metering mode; while Canon accesory screens have CFn settings to alleviate metering error, aftermarket screens do NOT have a suitable CFn setting.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

msowsun
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2007
Oakville Ont. Canada
Aug 30, 2012 18:29 |  #3

I find the best focus screen for manual lenses is the big 3" rear LCD when you use Liveview combined with 5x or 10x magnification.

It works best with a tripod, but you can get good results when hand holding.

Mike Sowsun / S110 / SL1 / EF-S 24mm STM / EF-S 10-18mm STM / EF-S 18-55mm STM / EF-S 18-135mm STM / EF-S 55-250mm STM
5D3 / Samyang 14mm 2.8 / EF 40mm 2.8 STM / EF 50mm 1.8 STM / EF 100mm 2.0 USM / EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro / EF 24-105mm IS /
EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS Mk II / EF 1.4x II
Full Current and Previously Owned Gear List over 40 years Flickr Photostream (external link)

sdblade
THREAD ­ STARTER
66 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Aug 31, 2012 13:35 as a reply to msowsun's post |  #4

Thanks for the responses. Looks like I'll have to order a couple and try them out.

luciddreamer
861 posts
Joined Jun 2009
NE Indiana
Aug 31, 2012 17:40 |  #5

msowsun wrote in post #14928220external link
I find the best focus screen for manual lenses is the big 3" rear LCD when you use Liveview combined with 5x or 10x magnification.

It works best with a tripod, but you can get good results when hand holding.

That works great with a static subject. If you're a birder or something similar it usually isn't feasible. As for replacement screens, like the OP said, they're really only good for fast lenses. Since my Leica isn't exactly fast... I just live with the standard Canon screen.

materialism ~
preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.

1,061 views & 0 likes for this thread
Manual focus screens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.