|30th of August 2012 (Thu)||#1|
Join Date: Jan 2007
G1X for a 3 week trip - random thoughts
I used the G1X as my primary camera for the past 3 weeks. If I could only take one camera on a trip again, I would not hesitate to take the G1X. Don't forget an external flash. The 270EXII is a nice partner for that. Here are a few random thoughts.
1. I hate the lens cap. It was always in the way. When I would switch to a polarizer, I'd have 2 lens caps, the one hanging from the camera and then the 58mm one for the polarizer. I have not figured out a good solution for that yet.....
2. The filter adapter is very difficult to change in the field, so I bought one for each filter that I have. I bought the lensmate adapters. Maybe the Canon one works better? Filters I took were a polarizer, Vari ND filter and a Marumi 330 diopter for closeups.
3. When using a polarizer, you might consider marking your filter adapter at the 12 o'clock posistion (when attached to the camera). This will allow you to set the polarizer rotation by handholding it before you put the filter on the camera. That made it a lot more effective and super easy.
4. I bought this http://www.outdoorphotogear.com/stor...trap-trio.html before the trip. It worked great to be able to switch from a handstrap to a neck strap. Just brilliant on vacation! I switched back and forth a lot, depending on where we were.
5. High ISO is amazing for indoor museum shooting, etc.
6. Overall it is a great single solution for travel. I could not be happier. It still is "clunky" to use in the field, but it more than makes up for it with the output of the files.
Here are a couple of samples. First one with a marumi vari ND filter. The second one with a handheld grad ND filter on a tripod.
Canon 6D, T4i, lenses, a G1x & an S110
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Some random ducks for the week||Snydremark||Birds||5||8th of March 2010 (Mon) 13:30|
|Some random ones from this week||striving||Macro||2||5th of May 2009 (Tue) 11:51|
|random shots from this week||ChinoChangInc||Critique Corner||2||11th of April 2009 (Sat) 21:12|
|Random thoughts for Belize trip||bigken462||General Photography Talk||0||8th of January 2007 (Mon) 06:15|
|some random shots from this week||Wayne Wood||Wildlife||5||24th of June 2006 (Sat) 12:09|