Cropping - Standard print sizes vs. unconstrained ratio?

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 31 Aug 2012 (Friday) 20:40   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Laramie
Still livin' the cowboylife
Joined Nov 2006
3,220 posts
Inland Empire, California
[MORE/SHARE]

I was thinking about this the other day and was curious how others handled it.

I shoot mostly for fun, but lately I'm making more contacts in the community and I'm trying to turn a hobby into a something to at least make some money on the side.

I've normally cropped freely during PP just to get proper framing, eliminate clutter, stick to the rule of thirds, etc.

But by doing that, I'm not sticking to common print sizes like 8x10, 11x14, and so on. So for example, so all of the free cropped images I've uploaded, if I try to get them printed for customers, they will be futher cropped to fit the designated ratio.

So is it a bad idea to "free crop" instead of sticking to the native camera ratio or other similar ones?

Post #1, Aug 31, 2012 20:40:23

5DIII | 40D | 17-40 f4L | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L | Oly Zuiko 50 macro | Tamron 1.4x

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2008
9,046 posts
NYC
[MORE/SHARE]

Use either 3:2 or 5:4 ratio. Don't crop too tight because your clients may want your 3:2 ratio shot to be printed at 8x10 = 5:4 ratio. Always save the original shot uncropped in case you need to recrop it for whatever print size and ratio.

Post #2, Aug 31, 2012 20:46:40

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

Laramie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2006
3,220 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

That makes sense and for whatever reason, I never really thought of creating duplicates during my workflow. I will start doing cropped and uncropped versions in hte final/processed folders.

Post #3, Aug 31, 2012 20:51:33

5DIII | 40D | 17-40 f4L | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L | Oly Zuiko 50 macro | Tamron 1.4x

Black ­ Mesa ­ Images
Joined Dec 2010
337 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Laramie wrote in post #14933007external link
I was thinking about this the other day and was curious how others handled it.

I shoot mostly for fun, but lately I'm making more contacts in the community and I'm trying to turn a hobby into a something to at least make some money on the side.

I've normally cropped freely during PP just to get proper framing, eliminate clutter, stick to the rule of thirds, etc.

But by doing that, I'm not sticking to common print sizes like 8x10, 11x14, and so on. So for example, so all of the free cropped images I've uploaded, if I try to get them printed for customers, they will be futher cropped to fit the designated ratio.

So is it a bad idea to "free crop" instead of sticking to the native camera ratio or other similar ones?

I'm more than unqualified to speak on this subject, so I will put in my two cents worth in.

I prefer to crop in relation to print sizes, but I have printed several of my images that I did free crops on. I had to do that to make the image what it is. I also did a lot of work in the resize area to get the image to fit the final print size, but I think it's pretty doable if you keep the print size small. I have done all of mine at 8"x10".

Post #4, Aug 31, 2012 20:54:07

Instagramexternal link
Black Mesa Images on Facebookexternal link
Black Mesa Images Blog and Photographyexternal link
Twitterexternal link

mike_d
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2009
3,912 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

They come out of the camera 3:2 and I preserve that because most of the pictures that will get printed, will be printed 4x6. If I need to print in another size, I'll recrop to fit so at least I'm in control of what gets chopped off.

Post #5, Aug 31, 2012 21:35:50

sponsored links
PUREBRAD
Joined Nov 2009
409 posts
Lyndhurst, NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

TooManyShots wrote in post #14933024external link
Use either 3:2 or 5:4 ratio. Don't crop too tight because your clients may want your 3:2 ratio shot to be printed at 8x10 = 5:4 ratio. Always save the original shot uncropped in case you need to recrop it for whatever print size and ratio.

This.

Going forward. Always save the original image uncropped. This way you can subsequently crop to suit your client's needs, if other than the native 3:2 ratio.

Post #6, Sep 01, 2012 00:27:13

50D / 28-1.8 / 100-2.8L / 200-2.8L / YN565Ex

Laramie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2006
3,220 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the suggestions all.

Post #7, Sep 01, 2012 00:37:52

bpalermini
Joined Mar 2011
653 posts
Los Angeles, California
[MORE/SHARE]

I used to do the same as you, before I started selling photos online. I would much rather crop to what looks best for the image rather than for a print dimension but . . . now that I sell, I crop everything to 4:6 ratio. Prints, especially small prints look very bad with big white borders on one dimension or the other.

Post #8, Sep 01, 2012 00:47:58

Bob Palermini
1DX, 1DIV, 50D, 16-35L, 24-70L II, 100L, 24-105L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 300 IS 2.8L, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xII, 2xII, 580EXII, YN565EX, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LR5, Fuji X30
My Web Siteexternal link | My Sports Portfolioexternal link

Wilt
Wilt is an old fart who has extensive experience with many brands and many formats of cameras, and extensive lighting knowledge of both studio lighting and speedlights
Joined Aug 2005
33,490 posts
SF Bay area, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

The issue of 'free crop' actually existed before...think about it, the 6x6 square format of pro film shooters is essentially a 'custom crop' compared to the standard 5:4 aspect ratio mattes that are commonly available, so pro photographers shooting that format had to provide 8x8 or 10x10 mattes and frames to suit. Similarly, oddball aspect ratios would leave clients with no off the shelf source of mattes and frames, also. If you have your own matte cutter, it suddenly does not matter. One could always create 'standardize' oddball aspect ratios that you commonly use, to eliminate the issue of 'every one is different'.

Post #9, Sep 01, 2012 20:45:45

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost!
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention
Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp

Laramie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2006
3,220 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

bpalermini wrote in post #14933776external link
I used to do the same as you, before I started selling photos online. I would much rather crop to what looks best for the image rather than for a print dimension but . . . now that I sell, I crop everything to 4:6 ratio. Prints, especially small prints look very bad with big white borders on one dimension or the other.

I agree. But Wilt does bring up a good point, you still have the option to bring your irregular size and just have a matte cut to a custom size. I'd rather do that to salvage a shot rather than further cropping and losing elements in the frame.

Wilt wrote in post #14936326external link
The issue of 'free crop' actually existed before...think about it, the 6x6 square format of pro film shooters is essentially a 'custom crop' compared to the standard 5:4 aspect ratio mattes that are commonly available, so pro photographers shooting that format had to provide 8x8 or 10x10 mattes and frames to suit. Similarly, oddball aspect ratios would leave clients with no off the shelf source of mattes and frames, also. If you have your own matte cutter, it suddenly does not matter. One could always create 'standardize' oddball aspect ratios that you commonly use, to eliminate the issue of 'every one is different'.

Great point. Since I started photography with a DSLR, I didn't experience that side of it. But you bring up a fantastic point that for whatever reason, I never really thought of. I guess I always figured I'd have to send my files to the printer as full frames as opposed to getting them printed with white borders.

Thanks for that.

Post #10, Sep 01, 2012 21:24:15

Justaddwata
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
1,322 posts
Stralian - In Rhode IsIand
[MORE/SHARE]

mike_d wrote in post #14933170external link
They come out of the camera 3:2 and I preserve that because most of the pictures that will get printed, will be printed 4x6. If I need to print in another size, I'll recrop to fit so at least I'm in control of what gets chopped off.

I use the same approach. Years ago I used to free crop but thought it looked more like a scrap book when I reviewed the images later.

Post #11, Sep 02, 2012 04:25:27

Proudly Australian Made!!
1D MKIII, 5D MkIII gripped, 7D gripped, 40D gripped, Sigma 10-20mm, Sigma 24-70mm f2.8, Sigma 28mm f1.8, Sigma 50mm f1.4, Sigma 120-300mm f2.8 OS,
"Sigmonster" 300-800mm, Canon 70-200mm Mk II IS L, Canon 24-105mm L, Canon 17-40mm L, Canon 35-350mm L, 580 EXII, 430EX, Canon 2X Extender MkII

sponsored links
Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
Joined Jul 2007
12,888 posts
Salisbury, UK.
[MORE/SHARE]

I have standardised my output to suit what I like. I sell framed or unframed prints with a matte and back board that will fit a 20 x 16 frame. This frame size is common and means my prints are 405mm x 305mm, for which I use A3+ paper.

While I've had no complains so far, I keep the uncropped original RAW so could easily rework an image to a different ratio if asked.

Post #12, Sep 02, 2012 04:36:55

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.comexternal link

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
6,428 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I rarely use a ration to crop. I've been cropping freely for years, and now learned that I can almost always nail 3:2 or 2:3 (what my camera does anyway) pretty accurately without using any kind of guide.

Post #13, Sep 02, 2012 21:28:55

Thank you. bw!

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,080 views & 0 likes for this thread
Cropping - Standard print sizes vs. unconstrained ratio?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES