Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th of September 2012 (Tue)   #1
steph123

Default 6D wireless and tethering to IPAD

Hi,

One of the 6D features that excite me more is the integrated wi-fi but i'm not sure of all the possibilities. Does anyone of you are more accustomed to shooting tethered can clarify certain points.

1- I understand that, with the free canon apps and my wireless only ipad, i will be able to control my camera even in live view. So i will be able to compose shots with a 10 inches screen? Is that correct?

2 - Also, once i press the shutter, will the pictures be transferred automatically to my ipad wirelessly? If so, should i expect a speedier process than what the eye-fi currently offers?

3 – So, all theses actions can be done without any wireless network or I would need a 3G ipad or an iphone to do that.

I would really like to start a conversation with theses subjects in mind because I really think that is one of the best features of the 6D. Before that, you would have to buy the wireless grip at about 700$.

Thank you for your help
Old 18th of September 2012 (Tue)   #2
Mornnb

Default Re: 6D wireless and tethering to IPAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by steph123 View Post
1- I understand that, with the free canon apps and my wireless only ipad, i will be able to control my camera even in live view. So i will be able to compose shots with a 10 inches screen? Is that correct?
Yes.

Quote:
2 - Also, once i press the shutter, will the pictures be transferred automatically to my ipad wirelessly? If so, should i expect a speedier process than what the eye-fi currently offers?
Most likely, but it depends on the features of this iPad app.

Quote:
3 – So, all theses actions can be done without any wireless network or I would need a 3G ipad or an iphone to do that.
You do not need 3G to use wifi...

Quote:
I would really like to start a conversation with theses subjects in mind because I really think that is one of the best features of the 6D. Before that, you would have to buy the wireless grip at about 700$.

Thank you for your help
I agree, this is quite a big deal to landscapers, being able to compose and check focus on a 10" portable screen is pretty awesome. Also, this happens to be a retina 10" screen with a quality comparable to that of prints!
I imagine it might be useful for other types of photography too, perhaps portraits? Would allow one to show the subject the photos instantly.

Last edited by Mornnb : 18th of September 2012 (Tue) at 09:53.
Mornnb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of September 2012 (Tue)   #3
Mark1
Cream of the Crop

The only info on the app I have found is it is basically a built in MiFi... Image transfer only. I have not seen any indicators of camera control. Where did you see it will control the camera?

www.the6by6frame.wordpress.com
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of September 2012 (Tue)   #4
steph123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mornnb View Post
Yes.

Most likely, but it depends on the features of this iPad app.

You do not need 3G to use wifi...

I agree, this is quite a big deal to landscapers, being able to compose and check focus on a 10" portable screen is pretty awesome. Also, this happens to be a retina 10" screen with a quality comparable to that of prints!
I imagine it might be useful for other types of photography too, perhaps portraits? Would allow one to show the subject the photos instantly.
Thanks for your response
Old 18th of September 2012 (Tue)   #5
steph123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
The only info on the app I have found is it is basically a built in MiFi... Image transfer only. I have not seen any indicators of camera control. Where did you see it will control the camera?
From Canon website :

The simplicity and convenience of Wi-Fi®, built-in.
The new EOS 6D features built-in Wi-Fi®, incorporating cutting edge technology into the camera’s compact and lightweight design. The EOS 6D’s exposure settings such as aperture, shutter speed and ISO, focus, and shutter can be operated wirelessly using an iOS or Android smartphone* with the free Canon EOS Remote app** (available soon). Using a smartphone with the EOS Remote app** installed, shoot remotely from a distance, even in Live View mode, for those difficult-to-capture shots; you can also review images in the EOS 6D without having to take it out of the bag, and easily transfer and save images directly from the camera to a smartphone. Full DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) compatibility means easy sharing between the EOS 6D and other DLNA products, like HDTVs, smartphones and more. Still images can even be transferred between two Wi-Fi enabled Canon cameras over a Local Area Network. Images and video can be uploaded instantly to CANON iMAGE GATEWAY# for easy sharing on social networking sites, and photos can even be printed on a Wi-Fi® compatible printer^ without the need for a PC. Remarkably, the EOS 6D gains all of these wireless features without the need for any additional accessories; they’re built right in!
Old 18th of September 2012 (Tue)   #6
steph123

But from the text above, it was not clear it was only for phone with connectivity or ipad with wireless only.
Old 18th of September 2012 (Tue)   #7
steph123

Does anyone think that the live view clarity that we see on the 3 inch camera will be the same on a 10 inch ipad. How will it work ? Do you think there will be some lag ?

Thanks again to anyone for chipping in
Old 18th of September 2012 (Tue)   #8
Mark1
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
From Canon website :
Nice!!! I read the site but didnt see most of that paragraph. I wonder if it was re-written sice I read it.

Old 18th of September 2012 (Tue)   #9
Mark1
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
But from the text above, it was not clear it was only for phone with connectivity or ipad with wireless only.
That is because it is a given it will be over wifi. Why would you go over cellular to operate something in the same room? Becides the camera does not have cellular capability, only WiFi.

Old 18th of September 2012 (Tue)   #10
BrickR
Cream of the Crop

Although I hoped for a swivel screen, I can see wifi tethering being a big deal for this camera. With a cold shoe adapter and your smartphone or tablet, you have a "swivel screen".
Old 18th of September 2012 (Tue)   #11
Mark1
Cream of the Crop

I agree swivel screens are obsolete now. I see somebody making a bracket for a phone that mounts to a monopod so they can hold a camera up high or down low and keep their head at a comfortable angle. A bracket of some kind to attatch at eyelevel while the camera is in some odd angle.

Old 18th of September 2012 (Tue)   #12
BrickR
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
I agree swivel screens are obsolete now. I see somebody making a bracket for a phone that mounts to a monopod so they can hold a camera up high or down low and keep their head at a comfortable angle. A bracket of some kind to attatch at eyelevel while the camera is in some odd angle.
+1!
Canon gets beat up on the boards as not being "innovative" but the first DSLR with touchscreen (T4i) and real autofocus for video (although not completely refined) and now eliminating swivel screens with wireless tethering? Gotta take my hat off to that one.
Learning from the mirrorless segment Canon??

I haven't joined in the bashing of the 6d so its good to see some positives. Besides, I wouldn't get one until it was 6 or 7 months out anyway
Old 5th of December 2012 (Wed)   #13
Panupat

What about tethering straight to a PC via wireless LAN? Do you think that would be possible?
Panupat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of December 2012 (Wed)   #14
apersson850
Cream of the Crop

It's like Sinar. They don't have any viewfinder of any sort, but do include a bracket for an iPhone.
Old 5th of December 2012 (Wed)   #15
grunticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panupat View Post
What about tethering straight to a PC via wireless LAN? Do you think that would be possible?
Yes, it is. I just did it.