FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 18 Sep 2012 (Tuesday) 09:29   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

steph123
Joined Jun 2008
172 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi,

One of the 6D features that excite me more is the integrated wi-fi but i'm not sure of all the possibilities. Does anyone of you are more accustomed to shooting tethered can clarify certain points.

1- I understand that, with the free canon apps and my wireless only ipad, i will be able to control my camera even in live view. So i will be able to compose shots with a 10 inches screen? Is that correct?

2 - Also, once i press the shutter, will the pictures be transferred automatically to my ipad wirelessly? If so, should i expect a speedier process than what the eye-fi currently offers?

3 – So, all theses actions can be done without any wireless network or I would need a 3G ipad or an iphone to do that.

I would really like to start a conversation with theses subjects in mind because I really think that is one of the best features of the 6D. Before that, you would have to buy the wireless grip at about 700$.

Thank you for your help

Post #1, Sep 18, 2012 09:29:28

5D II, 17-40L, 35L, 85L, 135L, 70-200 2.8 IS II

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Mornnb
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2012
1,584 posts
Sydney
[MORE/SHARE]

steph123 wrote in post #15008606external link
1- I understand that, with the free canon apps and my wireless only ipad, i will be able to control my camera even in live view. So i will be able to compose shots with a 10 inches screen? Is that correct?

Yes.

2 - Also, once i press the shutter, will the pictures be transferred automatically to my ipad wirelessly? If so, should i expect a speedier process than what the eye-fi currently offers?

Most likely, but it depends on the features of this iPad app.

3 – So, all theses actions can be done without any wireless network or I would need a 3G ipad or an iphone to do that.

You do not need 3G to use wifi...

I would really like to start a conversation with theses subjects in mind because I really think that is one of the best features of the 6D. Before that, you would have to buy the wireless grip at about 700$.

Thank you for your help

I agree, this is quite a big deal to landscapers, being able to compose and check focus on a 10" portable screen is pretty awesome. Also, this happens to be a retina 10" screen with a quality comparable to that of prints!
I imagine it might be useful for other types of photography too, perhaps portraits? Would allow one to show the subject the photos instantly.

Post #2, Sep 18, 2012 09:44:50

Canon 5D Mark III - Sony a7R
EF 40mm 2.8 STM - EF 17-40mm F/4 L - EF 14mm f/2.8 L II - EF 24-70mm f/2.8 L II - EF 24-70mm f/4 L - EF 70-200mm IS II f/2.8 L - EF 200mm 2.8 II L -- Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art - Sigma 85mm f/1.4 EX
500pxexternal link

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
6,725 posts
Maryland
[MORE/SHARE]

The only info on the app I have found is it is basically a built in MiFi... Image transfer only. I have not seen any indicators of camera control. Where did you see it will control the camera?

Post #3, Sep 18, 2012 10:23:40

I started a new showcase site for photographers and models. E-Mag coming soon! Please considder submitting!www.thelatentpixel.comexternal link

steph123
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2008
172 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Mornnb wrote in post #15008689external link
Yes.

Most likely, but it depends on the features of this iPad app.

You do not need 3G to use wifi...

I agree, this is quite a big deal to landscapers, being able to compose and check focus on a 10" portable screen is pretty awesome. Also, this happens to be a retina 10" screen with a quality comparable to that of prints!
I imagine it might be useful for other types of photography too, perhaps portraits? Would allow one to show the subject the photos instantly.

Thanks for your response

Post #4, Sep 18, 2012 11:02:45

steph123
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2008
172 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Mark1 wrote in post #15008864external link
The only info on the app I have found is it is basically a built in MiFi... Image transfer only. I have not seen any indicators of camera control. Where did you see it will control the camera?

From Canon website :

The simplicity and convenience of Wi-Fi®, built-in.
The new EOS 6D features built-in Wi-Fi®, incorporating cutting edge technology into the camera’s compact and lightweight design. The EOS 6D’s exposure settings such as aperture, shutter speed and ISO, focus, and shutter can be operated wirelessly using an iOS or Android smartphone* with the free Canon EOS Remote app** (available soon). Using a smartphone with the EOS Remote app** installed, shoot remotely from a distance, even in Live View mode, for those difficult-to-capture shots; you can also review images in the EOS 6D without having to take it out of the bag, and easily transfer and save images directly from the camera to a smartphone. Full DLNA (Digital Living Network Alliance) compatibility means easy sharing between the EOS 6D and other DLNA products, like HDTVs, smartphones and more. Still images can even be transferred between two Wi-Fi enabled Canon cameras over a Local Area Network. Images and video can be uploaded instantly to CANON iMAGE GATEWAY# for easy sharing on social networking sites, and photos can even be printed on a Wi-Fi® compatible printer^ without the need for a PC. Remarkably, the EOS 6D gains all of these wireless features without the need for any additional accessories; they’re built right in!

Post #5, Sep 18, 2012 11:03:17

sponsored links
steph123
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2008
172 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

But from the text above, it was not clear it was only for phone with connectivity or ipad with wireless only.

Post #6, Sep 18, 2012 11:04:16

steph123
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2008
172 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Does anyone think that the live view clarity that we see on the 3 inch camera will be the same on a 10 inch ipad. How will it work ? Do you think there will be some lag ?

Thanks again to anyone for chipping in

Post #7, Sep 18, 2012 11:10:37

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
6,725 posts
Maryland
[MORE/SHARE]

steph123 wrote in post #15009060external link
From Canon website :

Nice!!! I read the site but didnt see most of that paragraph. I wonder if it was re-written sice I read it.

Post #8, Sep 18, 2012 11:30:11

I started a new showcase site for photographers and models. E-Mag coming soon! Please considder submitting!www.thelatentpixel.comexternal link

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
6,725 posts
Maryland
[MORE/SHARE]

steph123 wrote in post #15009065external link
But from the text above, it was not clear it was only for phone with connectivity or ipad with wireless only.

That is because it is a given it will be over wifi. Why would you go over cellular to operate something in the same room? Becides the camera does not have cellular capability, only WiFi.

Post #9, Sep 18, 2012 11:31:24

BrickR
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2011
5,394 posts
Dallas TX
[MORE/SHARE]

Although I hoped for a swivel screen, I can see wifi tethering being a big deal for this camera. With a cold shoe adapter and your smartphone or tablet, you have a "swivel screen".

Post #10, Sep 18, 2012 15:23:15

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Mark1
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2008
6,725 posts
Maryland
[MORE/SHARE]

I agree swivel screens are obsolete now. I see somebody making a bracket for a phone that mounts to a monopod so they can hold a camera up high or down low and keep their head at a comfortable angle. A bracket of some kind to attatch at eyelevel while the camera is in some odd angle.

Post #11, Sep 18, 2012 15:32:47

sponsored links
BrickR
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2011
5,394 posts
Dallas TX
[MORE/SHARE]

Mark1 wrote in post #15010330external link
I agree swivel screens are obsolete now. I see somebody making a bracket for a phone that mounts to a monopod so they can hold a camera up high or down low and keep their head at a comfortable angle. A bracket of some kind to attatch at eyelevel while the camera is in some odd angle.

+1!
Canon gets beat up on the boards as not being "innovative" but the first DSLR with touchscreen (T4i) and real autofocus for video (although not completely refined) and now eliminating swivel screens with wireless tethering? Gotta take my hat off to that one.
Learning from the mirrorless segment Canon?? :lol:

I haven't joined in the bashing of the 6d so its good to see some positives. Besides, I wouldn't get one until it was 6 or 7 months out anyway ;)

Post #12, Sep 18, 2012 16:32:21

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

Panupat
Hatchling
Joined Dec 2012
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

What about tethering straight to a PC via wireless LAN? Do you think that would be possible?

Post #13, Dec 05, 2012 09:31:53 as a reply to BrickR's post 2 months earlier.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
10,705 posts
Traryd, Sweden
[MORE/SHARE]

It's like Sinar. They don't have any viewfinder of any sort, but do include a bracket for an iPhone.

Post #14, Dec 05, 2012 09:50:36 as a reply to Panupat's post 18 minutes earlier.

Anders

grunticus
Joined Aug 2010
204 posts
Netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

Panupat wrote in post #15329167external link
What about tethering straight to a PC via wireless LAN? Do you think that would be possible?

Yes, it is. I just did it.

Post #15, Dec 05, 2012 16:32:40

Eos 6D | EF 16-35 2.8L II | EF 85 1.8 | EF 70-200 2.8L II | 430EX II | Olympus XZ-1

LIST NEARBY THREADS
16,373 views & 0 likes for this thread
6D wireless and tethering to IPAD
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES