How to remove lens flare in Lightroom 4?

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 29 Sep 2012 (Saturday) 03:05   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

lsquare
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2008
1,808 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

IMAGE: http://imageshack.us/a/img89/35/55058110152140833955650.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://imageshack.us ...5811015214083395565​0.jpg/]external link

There is a flare in the top left corner of this picture. I have no idea how to remove the flare in LR4. Is it very doable or it's impossible? I have attached a sample image and I hope someone here can teach me how to do it. Please specify the exact steps that you took and I hope to learn a thing or two from the experts of POTN.

Thanks!

Post #1, Sep 29, 2012 03:05:49

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
Joined May 2007
57,560 posts
Probably Chasing Aircraft
[MORE/SHARE]

You should be able to "nibble" that flare away by use of the clone/heal tool.

I say nibble because you're going to need to take small parts of surrounding windows to build new ones over the flare. Time consuming but certainly doable.

Post #2, Sep 29, 2012 03:43:38

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

lsquare
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2008
1,808 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #15056981external link
You should be able to "nibble" that flare away by use of the clone/heal tool.

I say nibble because you're going to need to take small parts of surrounding windows to build new ones over the flare. Time consuming but certainly doable.

It doesn't sound easy. :(

Post #3, Sep 29, 2012 03:47:43

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

Agree: Clone (will probably work better then heal) from one window lower.

Post #4, Sep 29, 2012 07:13:51

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

mwsilver
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
2,550 posts
Central New Jersey
[MORE/SHARE]

lsquare wrote in post #15056939external link
QUOTED IMAGE
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://imageshack.us ...5811015214083395565​0.jpg/]external link

There is a flare in the top left corner of this picture. I have no idea how to remove the flare in LR4. Is it very doable or it's impossible? I have attached a sample image and I hope someone here can teach me how to do it. Please specify the exact steps that you took and I hope to learn a thing or two from the experts of POTN.

Thanks!

I took the liberty of downloading your photo and using the heal tool in LR4 to "fix" the flare by overlaying other similar windows from the building. Heal seemed to work better then clone for me in this particular situation, but it was hard to be sure which would give the best results on such a low resolution copy of the picture. In general for this type of fix, clone would be more appropriate. It's unfortunate that LR's heal and clone are spot repairs only and don't have a brush option, which would be far more useful in this situation. I don't have PS, but Elements also has heal and clone brushes which might be easier for this kind of fix. The version of your shot which I downloaded was only 60K in size and I only spent a few minutes on it. I also didn't "nibble" but did it in one shot. If it were mine and I had a high resolution version I would have done things differently. Since I did it quick and dirty on a low resolution copy the results are far from perfect, but it gives you an idea of what can be done. I'll delete it from Flicker once you've indicated you've seen it.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://farm9.staticfli​ckr.com ...36893230_46fbdbca88​_z.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

5505811015214083395565​01external link by mwsilverexternal link, on Flickr

Post #5, Sep 29, 2012 16:02:10

Mark
Canon 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma18-35 f/1.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50mm f/1.8, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, Lightroom 5, Elements 13

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

mwsilver wrote in post #15058508external link
I don't have PS, but Elements also has heal and clone brushes which might be easier for this kind of fix.

Agree.

mwsilver wrote in post #15058508external link
Since I did it quick and dirty on a low resolution copy the results are far from perfect, but it gives you an idea of what can be done.

Tip: You can click and drag the spot healing "circle" (or the "point of origin circle") after you've laid it down (or while laying it down), to get it to line up properly. For some reason, LR always automagically manages to be off by (quite) a few pixels on straight lines.

Post #6, Sep 29, 2012 16:30:38

Why Color Management.
MySpaceexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

mwsilver
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2011
2,550 posts
Central New Jersey
[MORE/SHARE]

René Damkot wrote in post #15058605external link
Agree.

Tip: You can click and drag the spot healing "circle" (or the "point of origin circle") after you've laid it down (or while laying it down), to get it to line up properly. For some reason, LR always automagically manages to be off by (quite) a few pixels on straight lines.

Thanks. Yeah I was aware of that. As I said it was very quick and dirty. I was just trying to demonstrate to the OP what LR could do to repair the flare in this case. Luckily there was a repeating window pattern available. Flare on other subjects might not have been repairable.

Post #7, Sep 29, 2012 16:38:30

Mark
Canon 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma18-35 f/1.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50mm f/1.8, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, Lightroom 5, Elements 13

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

mwsilver wrote in post #15058637external link
Yeah I was aware of that.

I thought you were, but was less sure about the OP ;)

Post #8, Oct 01, 2012 10:46:29

Why Color Management.
MySpaceexternal link
Twitterexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
9,126 views & 0 likes for this thread
How to remove lens flare in Lightroom 4?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES