Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th of September 2012 (Sat)   #1
lsquare

Default How to remove lens flare in Lightroom 4?

There is a flare in the top left corner of this picture. I have no idea how to remove the flare in LR4. Is it very doable or it's impossible? I have attached a sample image and I hope someone here can teach me how to do it. Please specify the exact steps that you took and I hope to learn a thing or two from the experts of POTN.

Thanks!
lsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of September 2012 (Sat)   #2
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"

Default Re: How to remove lens flare in Lightroom 4?

You should be able to "nibble" that flare away by use of the clone/heal tool.

I say nibble because you're going to need to take small parts of surrounding windows to build new ones over the flare. Time consuming but certainly doable.
Old 29th of September 2012 (Sat)   #3
lsquare

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhotog View Post
You should be able to "nibble" that flare away by use of the clone/heal tool.

I say nibble because you're going to need to take small parts of surrounding windows to build new ones over the flare. Time consuming but certainly doable.
It doesn't sound easy.
lsquare is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of September 2012 (Sat)   #4
René Damkot

Agree: Clone (will probably work better then heal) from one window lower.

Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.

MySpace
Get Colormanaged
Twitter

PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
René Damkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of September 2012 (Sat)   #5
mwsilver
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsquare View Post

There is a flare in the top left corner of this picture. I have no idea how to remove the flare in LR4. Is it very doable or it's impossible? I have attached a sample image and I hope someone here can teach me how to do it. Please specify the exact steps that you took and I hope to learn a thing or two from the experts of POTN.

Thanks!
I took the liberty of downloading your photo and using the heal tool in LR4 to "fix" the flare by overlaying other similar windows from the building. Heal seemed to work better then clone for me in this particular situation, but it was hard to be sure which would give the best results on such a low resolution copy of the picture. In general for this type of fix, clone would be more appropriate. It's unfortunate that LR's heal and clone are spot repairs only and don't have a brush option, which would be far more useful in this situation. I don't have PS, but Elements also has heal and clone brushes which might be easier for this kind of fix. The version of your shot which I downloaded was only 60K in size and I only spent a few minutes on it. I also didn't "nibble" but did it in one shot. If it were mine and I had a high resolution version I would have done things differently. Since I did it quick and dirty on a low resolution copy the results are far from perfect, but it gives you an idea of what can be done. I'll delete it from Flicker once you've indicated you've seen it.

550581101521408339556501 by mwsilver, on Flickr

Canon 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma18-35 f/1.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50mm f/1.8, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, Lightroom 5, Elements 11

Last edited by mwsilver : 29th of September 2012 (Sat) at 16:23.
mwsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of September 2012 (Sat)   #6
René Damkot

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwsilver View Post
I don't have PS, but Elements also has heal and clone brushes which might be easier for this kind of fix.
Agree.

Quote:
Since I did it quick and dirty on a low resolution copy the results are far from perfect, but it gives you an idea of what can be done.
Tip: You can click and drag the spot healing "circle" (or the "point of origin circle") after you've laid it down (or while laying it down), to get it to line up properly. For some reason, LR always automagically manages to be off by (quite) a few pixels on straight lines.

Why Color Management.

MySpace
Get Colormanaged
Twitter

PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
Old 29th of September 2012 (Sat)   #7
mwsilver
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by René Damkot View Post
Agree.

Tip: You can click and drag the spot healing "circle" (or the "point of origin circle") after you've laid it down (or while laying it down), to get it to line up properly. For some reason, LR always automagically manages to be off by (quite) a few pixels on straight lines.
Thanks. Yeah I was aware of that. As I said it was very quick and dirty. I was just trying to demonstrate to the OP what LR could do to repair the flare in this case. Luckily there was a repeating window pattern available. Flare on other subjects might not have been repairable.

Canon 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma18-35 f/1.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50mm f/1.8, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, Lightroom 5, Elements 11
mwsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of October 2012 (Mon)   #8
René Damkot

Quote:
Yeah I was aware of that.
I thought you were, but was less sure about the OP

Why Color Management.

MySpace
Get Colormanaged
Twitter