Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th of October 2012 (Tue)   #1
Littlejon Dsgn
Goldmember
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sandy, Oregon
Posts: 2,212
Default Help with a new lens pick

I am currently using a T3 with kit 18-55 and 55-250. I just did my first senior session and everything came out looking great. I sold off some other hobby stuff and have a few dollars burning a hole in my pocket and I am thinking a new lens might be the cure for this.

A bit of what I like to do, I enjoy shooting landscapes/cityscapes, also action shots of my family while on the river (jetski and boating) and mountain, however I am wanting to take my senior and family shots to the next level (tired of shooting for free).

I have a flash, and triggers, I am picking up a gel kit as well (learn something new about the flash everytime I use it ... its so much fun lol), got a good tripod and filters so a lens to me is the next logical step.

I have been eyeing the Nifty Fifty for its price point and I have read mixed but good things about it. Honestly budget is a factor since I am dipping into honeymoon money dont tell the wife lol.
Littlejon Dsgn is online now   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of October 2012 (Tue)   #2
Nightdiver13
Goldmember
 
Nightdiver13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Around the Bend
Posts: 2,041
Default Re: Help with a new lens pick

Do you have modifiers for your flash? If not, I think that would make the most significant difference in the quality of OCF for portraiture.
__________________
Neil, with an eye.
Nightdiver13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of October 2012 (Tue)   #3
Littlejon Dsgn
Goldmember
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sandy, Oregon
Posts: 2,212
Default Re: Help with a new lens pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightdiver13 View Post
Do you have modifiers for your flash? If not, I think that would make the most significant difference in the quality of OCF for portraiture.
Currently I do not have modifiers, not sure how I over looked that as the next logical step Any recomendations
Littlejon Dsgn is online now   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of October 2012 (Tue)   #4
LV Moose
Silly Wonka
 
LV Moose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 13,230
Default Re: Help with a new lens pick

Canon 10-22 or Tokina 11-16 perhaps.

(for your landscapes/cityscapes)
__________________
. . . . ---Moose--- . . . .

Gear... Flickr...Macro...Hummingbirds

Last edited by LV Moose : 9th of October 2012 (Tue) at 11:36.
LV Moose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of October 2012 (Tue)   #5
Nightdiver13
Goldmember
 
Nightdiver13's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Around the Bend
Posts: 2,041
Default Re: Help with a new lens pick

I'm assuming a lot of your portrait work is done outside. Do you have an assistant? If not, the biggest concern is the wind when choosing modifiers, and definitely bring something to stake/weight down the lightstand. Beauty dishes are popular choices for this sort of use, although I prefer having a larger modifier myself, such as the Softlighter (or knockoff).
__________________
Neil, with an eye.
Nightdiver13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of October 2012 (Tue)   #6
ChuckingFluff
Senior Member
 
ChuckingFluff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada Eh!
Posts: 1,390
Default Re: Help with a new lens pick

I'd say keep saving and over time get the 17-55 f2.8 IS and the 70-200 f4.0L IS, in that order. If you need to add a prime to your bag I'd get the sigma 50mm f1.4 or canon 50mm f1.4 over the nifty fifty. I also buy most of my lenses used locally so I can test before I buy. Depending on where you live you may be able to save a small fortune on glass. I've made the mistake of putting loads of glass in my bag just for the sake of buying what I could afford at the time. It really is a lose lose if you do that with new glass all the time.
ChuckingFluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of October 2012 (Tue)   #7
Littlejon Dsgn
Goldmember
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sandy, Oregon
Posts: 2,212
Default Re: Help with a new lens pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightdiver13 View Post
I'm assuming a lot of your portrait work is done outside. Do you have an assistant? If not, the biggest concern is the wind when choosing modifiers, and definitely bring something to stake/weight down the lightstand. Beauty dishes are popular choices for this sort of use, although I prefer having a larger modifier myself, such as the Softlighter (or knockoff).
Yes my work is outside, I have started looking into some basics studio gear to use in our spare room but I prefer outside natural backgrounds. My wife is a very willing assistant as well. I have seen some softbox's being used and I like the results (time to go do some reading lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LV Moose View Post
Canon 10-22 or Tokina 11-16 perhaps.
Yup those are the UWA's that are on my wish list just not sure picking those up will help with the money side of it for me yet and the wife thinks I should be using my gear to make money not just play now (upside I have the green light to spend a little money)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckingFluff View Post
I'd say keep saving and over time get the 17-55 f2.8 IS and the 70-200 f4.0L IS, in that order. If you need to add a prime to your bag I'd get the sigma 50mm f1.4 or canon 50mm f1.4 over the nifty fifty. I also buy most of my lenses used locally so I can test before I buy. Depending on where you live you may be able to save a small fortune on glass. I've made the mistake of putting loads of glass in my bag just for the sake of buying what I could afford at the time. It really is a lose lose if you do that with new glass all the time.
Ok I was a little worried about picking something up that I would regret learned my lesson on that in past hobbies. I will keep saving for some better glass.
Littlejon Dsgn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of October 2012 (Tue)   #8
watt100
Cream of the Crop
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 13,561
Default Re: Help with a new lens pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlejon Dsgn View Post

I have been eyeing the Nifty Fifty for its price point and I have read mixed but good things about it. Honestly budget is a factor since I am dipping into honeymoon money dont tell the wife lol.
just get it, the 50mm 1.8 is a sharp lens you're get to experiment with large aperture primes on the cheap
watt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of October 2012 (Tue)   #9
Littlejon Dsgn
Goldmember
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sandy, Oregon
Posts: 2,212
Default Re: Help with a new lens pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by watt100 View Post
just get it, the 50mm 1.8 is a sharp lens you're get to experiment with large aperture primes on the cheap
Had that thought as well, however $100 is still a decent chunk of change to just experiment with lol. I got my name on the list for the traveling Nifty so may wait to see how I like a prime before purchasing one.
Littlejon Dsgn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of October 2012 (Tue)   #10
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 24,757
Default Re: Help with a new lens pick

Canon 85 1.8 and umbrellas for your strobes would be my suggestions. You need a fast prime for your portrait kit, even if you are using flash, so you can control background separation. The 85 takes a little more room to work on a crop camera, but well worth it as you get a more flattering perspective than using wider lenses.
gonzogolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of October 2012 (Tue)   #11
FEChariot
Goldmember
 
FEChariot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,881
Default Re: Help with a new lens pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlejon Dsgn View Post
Currently I do not have modifiers, not sure how I over looked that as the next logical step Any recomendations
I have this kit:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...lla_Flash.html

The nice thing about it is that it is very portable. The flash bracket has some shortcomings. One is that you can only place the flash straight in to the umbrella or 180 degrees out. It also doesn't point the flash at the center of the umbrella, its more towards the upper. The stand will not hold a large studio strobe, but it also make it portable so the stand is nice at least for my needs.

A better set up would be these:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ite_Satin.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...djustable.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ght_Stand.html

I also have all of these for my second light. The umbrella is a little sturdier and the black backing is easier to remove and reinstall. The flash bracket allows you to turn the flash 360 degrees and points to the center of the umbrella.
__________________
Canon 7D/350D, Σ17-50/2.8 OS, 18-55IS, 24-105/4 L IS, Σ30/1.4 EX, 50/1.8, C50/1.4, 55-250IS, 60/2.8, 70-200/4 L IS, 85/1.8, 135/2 L 580EX II, 430EX II * 2, 270EX II.

Last edited by FEChariot : 9th of October 2012 (Tue) at 13:22.
FEChariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of October 2012 (Tue)   #12
Darts
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 584
Default Re: Help with a new lens pick

Go with the canon 10-22mm. It's a wonderful lens. It is the best landscape lens I own. Go to www.flickr.com/photos/darts5/ and look at the landscape photos. They were shot with 10-22mm. Good luck
Darts
Darts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of October 2012 (Tue)   #13
pulsar123
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,617
Default Re: Help with a new lens pick

+1 to 50mm f1.8 - you'll have a great beginner's combo.
__________________
50D, 135L, Ʃ17-50mm f2.8 OS, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Ʃ10-20mm f4-5.6, 70-200 f4L, home studio
pulsar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of October 2012 (Tue)   #14
bubbygator
Senior Member
 
bubbygator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Sarasota
Posts: 1,050
Default Re: Help with a new lens pick

I have 28/1.8 and 85/1.8 for indoor action - I thought I'd get the 50/1.8 to fill-in the gap. Bad idea... I rarely put on the 50 because of it's flakey focusing. Perhaps it would be OK for a sitting portrait, but for anything moving I can never tell where the focus will decide to be.

If you're going to make money, you'll need the 70-200/2.8 - it's "the" pro lens.

But congrats on getting the 55-250; it's a great lens for the money!!
__________________
Gear List
Where's the Titly Faire ? I may be dyslexic, but I like good stuff.
bubbygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of October 2012 (Tue)   #15
Littlejon Dsgn
Goldmember
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sandy, Oregon
Posts: 2,212
Default Re: Help with a new lens pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darts View Post
Go with the canon 10-22mm. It's a wonderful lens. It is the best landscape lens I own. Go to www.flickr.com/photos/darts5/ and look at the landscape photos. They were shot with 10-22mm. Good luck
Darts
The 10-22 is in the master plan for sure I am thinking about renting it and giving it a whirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbygator View Post
I have 28/1.8 and 85/1.8 for indoor action - I thought I'd get the 50/1.8 to fill-in the gap. Bad idea... I rarely put on the 50 because of it's flakey focusing. Perhaps it would be OK for a sitting portrait, but for anything moving I can never tell where the focus will decide to be.

If you're going to make money, you'll need the 70-200/2.8 - it's "the" pro lens.

But congrats on getting the 55-250; it's a great lens for the money!!
I picked up the 55-250 in a combo deal when I got my body and 18-55, it was like $75 more to get it, kinda a no brainer lol. I do find myself needing more reach since the T3 does not allow for much cropping.

And yea the 70-200 is THE pro lens lol
Littlejon Dsgn is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me pick a new lens RQPHOTOS Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 16 27th of October 2011 (Thu) 23:00
Help me pick a new lens! killeraxemannic Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 17 25th of October 2011 (Tue) 03:15
Help me pick a lens! mritchy Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 5 1st of August 2010 (Sun) 04:36
Please help me pick my first L Lens =) gibsonla Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 3 11th of April 2010 (Sun) 03:03
Help me pick a lens for the D10 Lunatique Canon EOS Digital Cameras 10 8th of July 2003 (Tue) 13:06


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:23.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This forum is not affiliated with Canon in any way and is run as a free user helpsite by Pekka Saarinen, Helsinki Finland. You will need to register in order to be able to post messages. Cookies are required for registering and posting. HTML in messages is not allowed, plain website addresses are automatically made active by the board.