Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 14th of October 2012 (Sun)   #1
edman22

Default How much to offer for a Mamiya RB67?

A friend of mine found an old Mamiya RB67 that used to be her grandfather's. Well I tried to convince her to keep it (she's into photography) but her dad is determined to sell it. I'm not sure what he's asking, but I said I want to buy it. How much should I offer for this camera? It includes the following:

RB67 body with 120 back
90mm 3.5 lens
180mm 4.5 lens

I think it should be in excellent condition, but I will be going tomorrow to inspect it and/or buy it. I was thinking of offering $300-350. Is that a fair price?
edman22 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of October 2012 (Sun)   #2
Sitting Elf

Default Re: How much to offer for a Mamiya RB67?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edman22 View Post
A friend of mine found an old Mamiya RB67 that used to be her grandfather's. Well I tried to convince her to keep it (she's into photography) but her dad is determined to sell it. I'm not sure what he's asking, but I said I want to buy it. How much should I offer for this camera? It includes the following:

RB67 body with 120 back
90mm 3.5 lens
180mm 4.5 lens

I think it should be in excellent condition, but I will be going tomorrow to inspect it and/or buy it. I was thinking of offering $300-350. Is that a fair price?
I used to own two of them in my film days. They are Awesome. The lenses are worth what you are offering +++. The trouble you'll have is finding film I would think. That being said, 6X7 format is awesome for blowing up shots with virtually no grain.

I used to use Kodak VPS film for the colors and skin tones. But it's been years since I shot film. If you can buy for $350, I'd say you got the bargain of a lifetime if the camera is still in excellent shape. Good luck
Sitting Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of October 2012 (Sun)   #3
edman22

I've heard good things. I've been thinking about getting into medium format for a while now and this sort of just came up out of nowhere yesterday. I'm not sure how much he wants for it, or what is a reasonable price to pay for that bundle.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of October 2012 (Sun)   #4
5Dmaniac

I would check completed ebay auctions and KEH for their prices. Body, WL-finder, back and the 90mm lens is worth about $200- $250 in very good condition. The 180mm lens probably around $150.
5Dmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of October 2012 (Sun)   #5
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop

$300+ average. What is the condition of it? Seriously, finding medium 120 film is no easier than finding your 32gb compact flash card. Just order the film from Adorama, Amazon, or Ebay. I am currently into medium format film. Last week I picked up a box of 5 rolls of 120, Fuji Reala 100 for $30 from Amazon.com, shipping and tax included. You can tell her father that he won't get much from them in these digital day and age, despite his father may have paid over $1k for them back in the days.
Old 14th of October 2012 (Sun)   #6
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop

Nice find, I gave a guy from Calgary some of that film last week. I didn't need it
rick_reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of October 2012 (Sun)   #7
edman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyShots View Post
$300+ average. What is the condition of it? Seriously, finding medium 120 film is no easier than finding your 32gb compact flash card. Just order the film from Adorama, Amazon, or Ebay. I am currently into medium format film. Last week I picked up a box of 5 rolls of 120, Fuji Reala 100 for $30 from Amazon.com, shipping and tax included. You can tell her father that he won't get much from them in these digital day and age, despite his father may have paid over $1k for them back in the days.
It's probably in great condition. She found an old manual Nikon FM2 I think with a 50 1.4 lens that was in immaculate condition so I think her grandpa took very good care of the equipment. I'm not too worried about finding film, I see it for sale at B&H and some of my local shops all the time.

Hopefully later tonight I will have this camera since I'm supposed to go look at it and buy it at around 6PM.
Old 14th of October 2012 (Sun)   #8
Foodguy

I had one back in the 70's. Great camera with lots of innovative features. I'd offer 2-300 if it's in decent condition.

As far as I know, there's still plenty of choices in 120 film, readily available.
Old 14th of October 2012 (Sun)   #9
Wilt
Cream of the Crop

eBay will give you some idea...a quick glance reveals

$230-430 for RB67, prism, back and 90mm seems the range for asking

the 180mm lens seems to fall in the range of $90-180 is the range for asking
Old 14th of October 2012 (Sun)   #10
Wilt
Cream of the Crop

Advertised on the APUG forum about 5 months ago...

"Mamiya RB67 Mamiya RB 67 Pro S with revolving back Kit $400 + $25 shipping
Here is the kit: body with the revolving back, 220 Film back, Mamiya Sekor C 90mm f3.8, Mamiya Sekor 180mm f4.5 (with Hoya UV filter), Waist-level viewfinder, Prism Viewfinder, and 2 Interscreens Plus by beattie
Everything in excellent condition except the 180mm which has a lot of paint wear on the outside, but optically in excellent condition"

later in the month the price was revised... $375 for Mamiya Kit+ shipping

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...x-645-kit.html
Old 14th of October 2012 (Sun)   #11
edman22

Update:

Ok so I went and looked at the camera. It's in near mint condition, there isn't a single scratch on it. So here is what he has. He has a lot of accessories which I'm not too familiar with, so if anyone here can help me that would be great.

RB67 Pro-S Body with Waist level VF and 120 manual back
90mm f/3.5 Lens (non "c")
140mm f/4.5 Macro C
3 different grips for the camera. Two of them have a mount for a flash.
Two M-adapters, one vertical and one horizontal (I have no idea what these are, can anyone clarify?)
A case for the camera and boxes for the lenses.

Basically everything is in perfect near mint condition except for maybe the back. He told me the foam light seal had deteriorated and he scraped it off. This might need to be repaired or I might have to just get a new back.

I don't know why he had three grips. All three serve seemingly the same function. One is just a grip, and two have a shoe for a flash. One of the ones with the shoe also has a cable that comes off of the grip which seems like you need to attach somewhere. Also there are two "M-Adapters" I have no idea what these are for. As you can tell I'm not familiar with the accessories at all so if anyone can enlighten me on what some of these are for.

Is the 140mm macro lens a good lens? I'm sure it is but I just wanted to verify.

Finally, what do you think all of these would go for? We didn't really talk about price, he wanted me to go and think about it etc.
Old 15th of October 2012 (Mon)   #12
ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005

I still have two of these bodies with a handful of lenses. There wasn't a better body in the studio, imo. I did use them in the field a few times but they are no doubt large and without the eye level viewfinder it makes the shooting time a bit slower. I have several 120 and 220 backs and these by themselves used to retail for more than the original price you were mentioning here of around 350.00. I don't have any experience with the 140 macro lens but all of the glass that I have for these are dead sharp and it takes great images. What it is worth is dependent on what you are willing to pay. I certainly wouldn't let mine go for 350.00 as it is worth more to me than that. It depends on what the seller feels it is worth to them but I will admit that I have some sentimental attachment to them. I know some that have bought this type of equipment only to let it sit because of the expense of getting the film processed. If you are going to use it and you can get it for anything south of 500.00 I would say you got a decent deal. You are going to have to go to higher end stores to get film and this is not cheap on a per shot basis but that 6x7 negative gives great detail and you can really get large prints that are still deadly sharp. Of course all of this is subject to your exposure and focusing skills.

Sheldon Simpson | My Gallery | My Gear updated: 20JUL12
ssim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of October 2012 (Mon)   #13
edman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssim View Post
I still have two of these bodies with a handful of lenses. There wasn't a better body in the studio, imo. I did use them in the field a few times but they are no doubt large and without the eye level viewfinder it makes the shooting time a bit slower. I have several 120 and 220 backs and these by themselves used to retail for more than the original price you were mentioning here of around 350.00. I don't have any experience with the 140 macro lens but all of the glass that I have for these are dead sharp and it takes great images. What it is worth is dependent on what you are willing to pay. I certainly wouldn't let mine go for 350.00 as it is worth more to me than that. It depends on what the seller feels it is worth to them but I will admit that I have some sentimental attachment to them. I know some that have bought this type of equipment only to let it sit because of the expense of getting the film processed. If you are going to use it and you can get it for anything south of 500.00 I would say you got a decent deal. You are going to have to go to higher end stores to get film and this is not cheap on a per shot basis but that 6x7 negative gives great detail and you can really get large prints that are still deadly sharp. Of course all of this is subject to your exposure and focusing skills.
Thanks for that. I was (and still somewhat am) a film shooter for over a decade so I'm aware of the costs and challenges. This is going to be mainly my "fun" camera that I use to have a change of pace from shooting digital. It will be for experimentation, learning, etc.

I tried to convince my friend to keep it but her dad wants to sell it. It was his fathers (my friend's grandfather). But the truth is they would never use it so I offered to buy it. At least that way she can still use it if she ever feels sentimental about it.

Do you have any info on the 3 grips and the vertical & horizontal M-Adapters? I don't know what these are for and he asked me to consider if I also want these in the package. I think if I don't want them he'll just try to sell them separately. I'm just not sure what the M-adapters are for and I have no idea what the differences between the grips are.

Last edited by edman22 : 15th of October 2012 (Mon) at 06:58. Reason: spelling
Old 15th of October 2012 (Mon)   #14
Foodguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by edman22 View Post
vertical & horizontal M-Adapters? I don't know what these are for and he asked me to consider if I also want these in the package. I think if I don't want them he'll just try to sell them separately. I'm just not sure what the M-adapters are for and I have no idea what the differences between the grips are.
Not entirely sure about this as it's been just too many years since I've owned mine , but the Pro-S version had a revolving back (it literally revolved IIRC) along with some other features: double exposure prevention,back doesn't come off without dark slide in place, etc. Maybe this is an older camera and the adaptors are required to allow mounting the back either vertical or horizontal?

And, just my opinion (and realizing that film cameras are gaining in popularity) but I'd still be in the $300 range for the whole system. As has been mentioned, ebay is a good source for realistic prices.
Old 15th of October 2012 (Mon)   #15
5Dmaniac

Does the person selling this equipment have any idea what it is worth today? The reason I am asking is that many people just have no clue how little they will get out of a film equipment sale. I would very carefully approach this issue. He/she might get offended when you present your offer.

I know many people who think their film SLRs are still worth a fortune when in reality they go for pennies on the dollar.
5Dmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote