Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th of October 2012 (Mon)   #1
drew

Default EOS M Owners Post Your Pictures

I'm waiting on my order from B&H.

Anyone get one early? Looking forward to an every-day carry camera.
Old 15th of October 2012 (Mon)   #2
SPDnTRXI

Default Re: EOS-M Owners Post Your Pictures

I called a bunch of places... no one had it today
Old 16th of October 2012 (Tue)   #3
sebr
Goldmember

It is available in Japan. I tried one at Yodobashi but could not get the pictures.

I took a shot of the camera with the 5D3 + 35L

Benron Tripod; ThinkTank, Lowepro and Crumpler bags; Fjällräven backpack
sebr is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of October 2012 (Wed)   #4
drew

Canon Rumors has updated that it's delayed until at least Oct. 31 in North America.

Laaame.
Old 18th of October 2012 (Thu)   #5
watt100
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Canon Rumors has updated that it's delayed until at least Oct. 31 in North America.

Laaame.
if they are selling the camera in Asia why not here.
watt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of October 2012 (Thu)   #6
TheBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by watt100 View Post
if they are selling the camera in Asia why not here.
Cameras don't teleport. At least mine doesn't.
Old 18th of October 2012 (Thu)   #7
kay188

Buy in Asia.
Import to North America.
Sell here.
Profit.
Ricoh GRD4 | Canon 1Ds, 1D, 1D2, 1D2n| Canon XTi | Tokina 11-16 F/2.8 | Canon 16-35L I | Canon 24 F/2.8 | Canon 35 F/2 | Canon 50 F/1.8 I | Canon 135L | Sigma 24-70 EX DG Macro | Sigma 70-200 F/2.8 APO EX DG | Sigma 30 F/1.4 |Sigma 50 F/1.4 |Sigma & Kenko 1.4x TC| Canon 580EX II | Sigma EF-500 Super | 2x Vivitar 285HV | RF-602 Triggers |
kay188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of October 2012 (Thu)   #8
SPDnTRXI

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay188 View Post
Buy in Asia.
Import to North America.
Sell here.
Profit.
weak US dollar makes me wanna hollar
Old 18th of October 2012 (Thu)   #9
drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBB View Post
Cameras don't teleport. At least mine doesn't.
I don't understand consumer goods transportation but I would assume that they could hop them on a plane...

I suspect there was a problem in production which delayed shipping of large quantities.
Old 3rd of November 2012 (Sat)   #10
drew

I just picked mine up from a local camera shop, "Tall's" at the Tukwila Southcenter Mall. B&H told me they had already shipped out what they'd received from Canon and I wasn't getting one. It cost me about $50 extra locally due to tax, but I'm OK with it.

Battery charging, will post pictures soon!
Old 3rd of November 2012 (Sat)   #11
sneakerpimp

first day just messing around in Landscape Mode. 1/2000 f/4.0 ISO 100.
Old 3rd of November 2012 (Sat)   #12
drew

hey sneaker, what lens?
Old 3rd of November 2012 (Sat)   #13
sneakerpimp

kit 22mm.
Old 3rd of November 2012 (Sat)   #14
drew

Chloe, age 4 by drew_dslr, on Flickr
(Note: used 580EXII in E-TTL here)

Kitchen Ivy by drew_dslr, on Flickr

Fall Fake Flowers by drew_dslr, on Flickr

Here's a sample 100% crop (using the Win7 Snipping Tool, saved as PNG) from the Fake Fall Flowers shot in the top right corner. ISO 2500. Note: this has ZERO NR applied from LR4.2. Even the color slider is zeroed out. That is ON PURPOSE for that shot just to show. Looks much, much better with the default (25) color NR applied.

Old 3rd of November 2012 (Sat)   #15
Ember42

Test shot with the 22mm. (ISO 400, 1/30s, F2.0)
I just got the camera on Friday afternoon, so I have not had the chance to thoroughly test it yet, but a few observations.
I got the 22mm / flash kit (Canada has better kits than the US). The 22mm was only available with black, while the kit zoom with black and colours. They know their two distinct markets.
The UI and touch screen is very, very polished. This is probably the most compelling reason for the M. Especially as a canon user, the learning curve was zero. The menus and controls are 95% the same as any other EOS.
There are a lot of other nice polish bits. When turning the camera off the 22mm lens automatically moves to the minimum length focus position.
Focus and recompose is dead. This is the easiest camera to change focus points on, bar none. Just touch the spot where you want to focus. You can set it to take a picture imminently, or just change focus points. In the face detect auto focus mode, when you select a point to focus on, it tracks the object you selected.
Overall autofocus is better than an elph, worse than a SLR. You are not going to get BIF or sports with this camera. You aren't with any other mirrorless either...
Lens quality - 22mm great!. On a f 4.0 image (to have frame edges in focus) the edges looked crisp.

See the attached picture for the M and something like the RX100 or G1X are not in the same category.

Where this will do well in the current incarnation is people moving up from compact cameras wanting something more in image quality (will probably go with the kit zoom), and people adding a small option that are used to SLRs (will probably go with the 22mm / 40mm etc), and want something that lets them get pictures where they do not regret having an inferior sensor, but are willing to live with slower than SLR autofocus.
Where this will not compete yet is as a only camera for a serious enthusiast.

I have not tried anything other than the 22mm yet, as the EF to M adapter was not in stock yet. I am especially interested in the 10-22 as a light hiking camera and the 40mm as a wide portrait.

Do not underestimate the size difference! The entire camera, lens and flash can comfortably fit in the slot my 10-22 would be in in the camera bag. Not quite shirt pocket-able, but definitely coat pocket-able. Light enough to easily be usable one handed, but I will try with bigger lenses later.

The flash is small and weak, but small especially. It is about the size of 2 - 9 volt batteries. And it can control other flashes (in full A:B C groups)! I bet it will be popular for 5D series owners for this reason.

edit: linking issue
try https://plus.google.com/photos/11303...37721721115090

Last edited by Ember42 : 3rd of November 2012 (Sat) at 18:50.
Ember42 is offline   Reply With Quote