Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th of October 2012 (Sat)   #1
KeyserSoze1

Default How many pixels are there in 4 MB?

I couldn't find a calculator and the few ones I googled were contradictory to each other.

If these are the size of resolution

Focal Plane X-Resolution 2796.43591501028 dpi
Focal Plane Y-Resolution 2839.248434238 dpi

Have I exceeded the 4 MB requirement?
KeyserSoze1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 27th of October 2012 (Sat)   #2
Colorblinded
Goldmember

Default Re: How many pixels are there in 4 MB?

We have no way of knowing from that information. If it were a three color 8 bit per pixel image and it had no compression or header information it could be just under 1.4 million pixels.

The dpi is meaningless without knowing how many inches large the image is (and outside of printing it's a pretty useless number).

That and the number of megabytes an image file takes up depends on more than just pixels. 4MP could be a very low resolution TIF file or a very high resolution JPG that's been heavily compressed. You need to look at the images pixel dimensions to determine pixel count and then at its file size to determine how many MB it requires to store.
Colorblinded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of October 2012 (Sat)   #3
tzalman
Fatal attraction.

Dpi is actually ppi which is pixels per inch; so how many inches are we talking about? Where and how did you get those numbers? Citing dpi alone is like saying, "My car went 60 mph so how far did I travel?"
"If you presume to love something, you must love the process of it much more than you love the finished product." John Irving, 5/2012. "In theory there is no difference between practice and theory, but in practice there is." Yogi Berra
Site
tzalman is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 27th of October 2012 (Sat)   #4
KeyserSoze1

For example. I uploaded 21 MP from a 5DmII raw file. Does this mean the file has 21 MB file as well?
Old 27th of October 2012 (Sat)   #5
KeyserSoze1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzalman View Post
Dpi is actually ppi which is pixels per inch; so how many inches are we talking about? Where and how did you get those numbers? Citing dpi alone is like saying, "My car went 60 mph so how far did I travel?"
Thanks. Well, I will be sending some online submissions and the rule is each image must not exceed a 4MB weight. How can I tell how many MB does my image have? I use a PSE9 for resizing.
Old 27th of October 2012 (Sat)   #6
KeyserSoze1

What information should I post to know how many MB a picture has?
Old 27th of October 2012 (Sat)   #7
mjkubba

What I do is: resize by x% if it's under that xMB requirement then i'm done if it's not i'll resize it again by another x%.
mjkubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of October 2012 (Sat)   #8
tzalman
Fatal attraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeyserSoze1 View Post
For example. I uploaded 21 MP from a 5DmII raw file. Does this mean the file has 21 MB file as well?
No, an uncompressed 8 bit tif from a 5D2 is around 60 MB. I have never output a jpg from my 5D2 (only Raws) but I'd guess that a Fine jpg is around 10 MB and a Medium jpg might be down around 4 MB. But I'm not at home right now to try it.
"If you presume to love something, you must love the process of it much more than you love the finished product." John Irving, 5/2012. "In theory there is no difference between practice and theory, but in practice there is." Yogi Berra
Site
Old 27th of October 2012 (Sat)   #9
sandpiper
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Raw files are compressed, so will vary in how many Mb they contain, even at the same pixel dimensions. An image containing a large area of blue sky will use less Mb than an image containing mostly leafy foliage, which contains much more fine detail.

Quote:
What information should I post to know how many MB a picture has?
Too many variables to make a simple calculation, regardless of what information you post. But you only need to look at your image, open the image properties and see the size in front of you. If it is too big, simply go back to the original and make a smaller version.
sandpiper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of October 2012 (Sat)   #10
Colorblinded
Goldmember

Quote:
Just to point out, DPI and PPI are not the same thing. In this case if we're talking strictly about the digital file the PPI might have relevancy (although usually it's meaningless unless you are scanning something). DPI has to do with printing.
Old 27th of October 2012 (Sat)   #11
mjkubba

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorblinded View Post
Just to point out, DPI and PPI are not the same thing. In this case if we're talking strictly about the digital file the PPI might have relevancy (although usually it's meaningless unless you are scanning something). DPI has to do with printing.
just to clarify :
DPI = dots per inch which is used mostly to determine the printer print quality
PPI = pixel per inch which is used to state a screen resolution or a digital file resolution before printing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_pe...al_image_files
mjkubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of October 2012 (Sat)   #12
Rimmer

Quote:
Thanks. Well, I will be sending some online submissions and the rule is each image must not exceed a 4MB weight. How can I tell how many MB does my image have? I use a PSE9 for resizing.
If you don't mind doing a little trial-and-error work, this is pretty easy.

Start by doing a Save As in PSE. That will give you a dialog box where you can adjust the amount of compression (Quality) and the box will tell you how big the image will be. If, at the quality level you want you can't get the file size low enough, then cancel out and back up. (See attached image for example, note that it says 942.7K.)

Then, go into Image > Resize > Image Size... and make the image smaller. How much smaller? I don't know -- make a guess, maybe cut the dimensions in half.

Now, try the Save As procedure again and see what you can get, trading off compression (Quality) with file size.

You'll soon get enough experience to be able to move through this procedure pretty quickly.

But... I assume you are submitting JPGs -- have you checked the size of the files that you already have? They may be OK already, and if not then just a bit of compression may help.

Final note: If you're starting out with a JPG, then when you do the Save As be sure to give the file a new name (maybe add a number or letter) so as not to overwrite your original.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Resize Example.JPG (61.9 KB, 256 views)
Old 27th of October 2012 (Sat)   #13
tzalman
Fatal attraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorblinded View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkubba View Post
just to clarify :
DPI = dots per inch which is used mostly to determine the printer print quality
PPI = pixel per inch which is used to state a screen resolution or a digital file resolution before printing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dots_pe...al_image_files
Nevertheless, throughout the industry the term dpi is commonly used even though another term would be more accurate - scanner software UI has scan resolution in dpi although it refers to spi, scans per inch; the EXIF standard uses dpi for both images (pixels per inch) and sensor resolution (sensels or photo sites per inch); monitor and TV resolution in ads or spec lists is given in dpi; and every art director, graphic designer or non-photographer client asks for dpi. They are all wrong, but trying to change them is quixotic tilting at windmills.
Site

Last edited by tzalman : 27th of October 2012 (Sat) at 17:36.
Old 27th of October 2012 (Sat)   #14
RDKirk
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
They are all wrong, but trying to change them is quixotic tilting at windmills.
Fortunately, they aren't on this forum, so we can wallow in technical correctness while here and ignore the windmills.
RDKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of October 2012 (Sat)   #15
Colorblinded
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDKirk View Post
Fortunately, they aren't on this forum, so we can wallow in technical correctness while here and ignore the windmills.
I do my best to not perpetuate misuse of terms since they do still have functional differences. If and when those differences are no longer relevant then the differentiation in terminology will become meaningless. I'll just roll my eyes every time they're misused until that happens

Technically correct is the best kind of correct anyway!