Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 9th of November 2012 (Fri)   #31
lannes
Goldmember

Default Re: My 5DMarkII does not recognize the AF of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by apersson850 View Post
But then why would other lenses work on the camera?
beacuse the 50mm being a cheapie with a plastic mount , could have have lower manufacturing tolerances than an "L" for example with a metal mount.
The op's other lenses that work with the body appear to be "L's"

Last edited by lannes : 9th of November 2012 (Fri) at 06:16.
lannes is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of November 2012 (Fri)   #32
Pepe Guitarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannes View Post
beacuse the 50mm being a cheapie with a plastic mount , could have have lower manufacturing tolerances than an "L" for example with a metal mount.
But, it was working at certain time. It was after about one month of not using the 50/1.8 that it stopped. Then, I bought a new 50/1.8 lens, and it does not work. I think it is witchcraft
Pepe Guitarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of November 2012 (Fri)   #33
apersson850
Cream of the Crop

Maybe Gremlins. Don't add water!
Old 9th of November 2012 (Fri)   #34
lannes
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Guitarra View Post
But, it was working at certain time. It was after about one month of not using the 50/1.8 that it stopped. Then, I bought a new 50/1.8 lens, and it does not work. I think it is witchcraft
That's why I suspect one of your pins in the lens mount might be damaged
Old 9th of November 2012 (Fri)   #35
apersson850
Cream of the Crop

But why would it then work with other lenses? Which he states it does.
Old 9th of November 2012 (Fri)   #36
Virto

Quote:
I can't imagine that being the issue, especially since he's tried it with two separate EF 50 1.8s. That kind of rules out the lens being the issue, in my opinion.

MAYBE there's some pin damage on the body, but if other lenses focus and can use the full aperture correctly, I'd kind of shrug that issue off. Maybe a corrupt firmware or failing logic board.

The mount on the 50 is molded plastic, but the tolerances are the same as one of the metal mounts. Unless it was shaved down or obviously cracked, it shouldn't be the issue.
Old 10th of November 2012 (Sat)   #37
Pepe Guitarra

Quote:
I think one of the spring loaded lens mount pins must be stuck and not connecting to the lens gold connectors on the 50mm, are they all the same height

looking in from the front, the three pins on the left are as a group higher than the main set of pins, maybe one of these is just not connecting properly
BINGO. At the time lannes's post, I checked and the three higher pins looked OK. HOwever, today, the camera started acting with the L lenses. I removed the lens to clean the pins and noticed that the third pin (of the highest) left to right is fully depressed and does not come up. At least I now found the problem. I am planning in walking to Canon service (about 5 miles from here) to see if they want to check my camera. My question now is: Has anyone had this problem? Is this a big deal? I appreciate your answers. This morning I used the 5DII camera with my EF 24-105L lenses taking some photos for christmas cards and the photos came really nice, I would not change the 5DII for anything else. Let me know if I should worry, or is this a minor thing?
Thanks, Pepe.
Old 10th of November 2012 (Sat)   #38
lannes
Goldmember

They will just replace the pin connector it's part CG2-2311 on the spare part catalog for the 5DII

http://www.filefactory.com/file/5diwg1mb6z1l
Old 10th of November 2012 (Sat)   #39
rrblint
Cream of the Crop

Glad you found out what the problem is....Kudos to lannes for solving the puzzle.

Hope you get it fixed quickly.
Old 10th of November 2012 (Sat)   #40
Pepe Guitarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrblint View Post
Glad you found out what the problem is....Kudos to lannes for solving the puzzle.

Hope you get it fixed quickly.
Thanks, I will take it on Tuesday to Canon to see how long it would take to fix it. I will let you know. I feel better now, that I know it is the camera, and that it is just one connector pin.
Old 10th of November 2012 (Sat)   #41
Pepe Guitarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virto View Post
... MAYBE there's some pin damage on the body, but if other lenses focus and can use the full aperture correctly, I'd kind of shrug that issue off. Maybe a corrupt firmware or failing logic board....
Correct, first, the pin on the camera was loose, but not recessed. Only the 50/1.8 ii noticed it. Today, the pin recessed inside the body, and the L lens noticed it, as I did. Well, live and learn.
Old 12th of November 2012 (Mon)   #42
Pepe Guitarra

Well, I saw the camera connector bridge piece that lannes mentioned on Ebay for $28 (sold by Procamerarepair of San Diego, CA). It seems very easy to replace: two mall screw, and two connectors to unplug and plug and screw back again. I ordered the piece. However, I did not have the guts to do it. So, I took it to Canon. They charged me $219 for the work and warranty it for 6 months. I paid and left the camera. I will have it back in one week. I will keep you posted. What I learned from Canon customer service: two hours wait!. It is not worth it. You can fill the application in the internet and ship it. It is easier.
Old 12th of November 2012 (Mon)   #43
lannes
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepe Guitarra View Post
Well, I saw the camera connector bridge piece that lannes mentioned on Ebay for $28 (sold by Procamerarepair of San Diego, CA). It seems very easy to replace: two mall screw, and two connectors to unplug and plug and screw back again. I ordered the piece. However, I did not have the guts to do it. So, I took it to Canon. They charged me $219 for the work and warranty it for 6 months. I paid and left the camera. I will have it back in one week. I will keep you posted. What I learned from Canon customer service: two hours wait!. It is not worth it. You can fill the application in the internet and ship it. It is easier.
hopefully that fixes your problem, interesting to find out what caused the problem in the first place, was it a lens with a poor tolerance which broke the spring loaded pin ?

Did you ever use any non canon lens or TC's that were tight to get on or required extra effort to get it locked in place ?
Old 12th of November 2012 (Mon)   #44
Pepe Guitarra

Quote:
hopefully that fixes your problem, interesting to find out what caused the problem in the first place, was it a lens with a poor tolerance which broke the spring loaded pin ?

Did you ever use any non canon lens or TC's that were tight to get on or required extra effort to get it locked in place ?
I used adapters with chip to use manual Takumar lenses. They seems just like the other lenses. However, in terms of tolerance, that could be the problem. The reason I bought the 5DII was to use my Takumar lenses on a FF. I am going to stop, I really found the Canon lenses superior to any other lens I have used before.
I ordered the contact bridge, but decided to take the camera to Canon. The contact bridge (the part you mentioned) seems easy to install (two screws and disconnect and connect two connectors). However, I am not that handy and for the first time, I want to take it to Canon.
Old 21st of November 2012 (Wed)   #45
Pepe Guitarra

Well, one week later, I received the camera from Canon. They replaced the contact bridge (or lens interface) and send it back. The camera now works fine. Thanks everyone for their input.