Thread started 04 Nov 2012 (Sunday) 09:18   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

CobraGT40
Joined Jun 2012
37 posts
Aurora, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

Hey all
I haven't posted in a while but when I took my 600D out the other day to snap some pics for a CraigsList Ad and noticed a red blinking light in the lower right-hand corner on the back of the body. I did a Google search thinking it might be a simple solution but it got me nowhere. I bought the camera last May and really haven't used it a whole lot... I practiced with it for several hours before going to the big airshow and got a LOT of practice with it at said airshow...a whole weeks worth and at least 6000 pics. That whole time the camera has been babied, always kept in the case, always capped when not in use, never got wet or even used in a humid environment, never dropped etc.

That was the last time I used it...It's been sitting in the case since then with the battery removed.

Can anyone tell me what the red blinking light means and what I need to do to get this thing back on track ?

Thanks !

Scott

Post #1, Nov 04, 2012 09:18:09

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
CobraGT40
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2012
37 posts
Aurora, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

OK...I just went through a few other possibilites to determine what the issue is. One of which was to fire up the camera without the memory card. That got rid of the blinking light. I put the card back in and back came the blinking light. Could it possibly be a bad card or corrupted file ? The card is a Sandisk Extreme SD-HC 16gb C10.

Post #2, Nov 04, 2012 09:29:51

Wallace ­ River
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2010
9,870 posts
Wallace, Nova Scotia
[MORE/SHARE]

The blinking red light is usually a sign that the camera's buffer is full, normally after a burst of many shots, and the camera is in the process of moving files from the buffer to the memory card. If the card is corrupted, I suppose it could make it behave this way too.

Post #3, Nov 04, 2012 09:32:40 as a reply to CobraGT40's post 2 minutes earlier.

IAN - Living life on the shores of the Wallace River in northern Nova Scotia, Canada :
Canon 1D4, 1D-X, almost enough glass.
My Flickrexternal link.

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2003
5,293 posts
Southeast Pennsylvania
[MORE/SHARE]

Start with doing a low level format on the bad card (in camera) or test with another card. You'll likely loose any pictures on the card so try to move them off with a PC first.

Post #4, Nov 04, 2012 09:39:19

Echo63
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
2,364 posts
Perth - Western Australia - Earth
[MORE/SHARE]

Pretty sure the blinking red light just signifies that the camera is accessing the card.

There is a little red light on the back of my Mk4 that blinks when I shut the card door or have finished shooting a burst of photos.

If its blinking all the time the. You probably have an issue with your card.
Try formatting it as a first step, if that doesn't work then you will probably need to bin the card (assuming a different card fixes the issue)

Post #5, Nov 04, 2012 09:51:07

My Best Imageswww.echo63.deviantart.​comexternal link
Gear listhttp://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=2463426&postcou​nt=385

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
CobraGT40
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2012
37 posts
Aurora, IL
[MORE/SHARE]

Just transferred files to my PC and formatted the card. Problem solved !

Thanks everyone !

Post #6, Nov 04, 2012 09:58:26 as a reply to Echo63's post 7 minutes earlier.

CallumRD1
Joined Sep 2012
306 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I had the same problem on my T3i/600D. It kept blinking whenever my 16gb card was in the camera (it wasn't full). Once I took all of the pictures off the card, the light stopped blinking. I don't know what the problem was, but it didn't last once the card was emptied.

Post #7, Nov 04, 2012 11:52:48 as a reply to CobraGT40's post 1 hour earlier.

Canon 7D, EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM, EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II, Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Yongnuo YN-500EX
Flickrexternal link
Purchase my Printsexternal link

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2007
10,709 posts
Traryd, Sweden
[MORE/SHARE]

It seems that when you put in a card, which already contains images, in cameras that are new enough to allow RAW development in-camera, the camera builds a database of applicable files on the card. It knows immediately if there is any RAW to develop, without scanning the card when you invoke that function. When you are taking pictures, the database is built as you shoot, but when a card with images is inserted, it takes a while to do it.
This has baffled some 7D users, who upgraded to version 2 as well.

Post #8, Nov 04, 2012 14:26:36 as a reply to CallumRD1's post 2 hours earlier.

Anders

Keebert
Joined Feb 2011
612 posts
Texas
[MORE/SHARE]

This happens to me on my 60D when the card has a fair number of shots on it (but not necessarily close to full). I have searched and searched and found nothing on this issue and it doesn't do anything other than annoy with the blinking. Of course, it goes away when I delete the files or format the card and will come back after I start filling the card up.

I suspect it's something to do with the fact that these cameras are not used to the 32GB and larger card sizes that are commonly available these days. Other than the blinking, everything else works as it should.

Post #9, Nov 04, 2012 17:57:50

5D3, 50/1.4, 40/2.8, 24-105L, 100L, 70-200L II, 400/5.6L, 600EX-RT, Zuiko 28/2.8, flickrexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
19,680 views & 0 likes for this thread
EOS 600D Red blinking Light ?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES