Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th of November 2012 (Sun)   #1
CobraGT40

Question EOS 600D Red blinking Light ?

Hey all
I haven't posted in a while but when I took my 600D out the other day to snap some pics for a CraigsList Ad and noticed a red blinking light in the lower right-hand corner on the back of the body. I did a Google search thinking it might be a simple solution but it got me nowhere. I bought the camera last May and really haven't used it a whole lot... I practiced with it for several hours before going to the big airshow and got a LOT of practice with it at said airshow...a whole weeks worth and at least 6000 pics. That whole time the camera has been babied, always kept in the case, always capped when not in use, never got wet or even used in a humid environment, never dropped etc.

That was the last time I used it...It's been sitting in the case since then with the battery removed.

Can anyone tell me what the red blinking light means and what I need to do to get this thing back on track ?

Thanks !

Scott
CobraGT40 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 4th of November 2012 (Sun)   #2
CobraGT40

Default Re: EOS 600D Red blinking Light ?

OK...I just went through a few other possibilites to determine what the issue is. One of which was to fire up the camera without the memory card. That got rid of the blinking light. I put the card back in and back came the blinking light. Could it possibly be a bad card or corrupted file ? The card is a Sandisk Extreme SD-HC 16gb C10.
Old 4th of November 2012 (Sun)   #3
Wallace River
Cream of the Crop

The blinking red light is usually a sign that the camera's buffer is full, normally after a burst of many shots, and the camera is in the process of moving files from the buffer to the memory card. If the card is corrupted, I suppose it could make it behave this way too.
Wallace River is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 4th of November 2012 (Sun)   #4
John from PA
Goldmember

Start with doing a low level format on the bad card (in camera) or test with another card. You'll likely loose any pictures on the card so try to move them off with a PC first.
John from PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of November 2012 (Sun)   #5
Echo63
Goldmember

Pretty sure the blinking red light just signifies that the camera is accessing the card.

There is a little red light on the back of my Mk4 that blinks when I shut the card door or have finished shooting a burst of photos.

If its blinking all the time the. You probably have an issue with your card.
Try formatting it as a first step, if that doesn't work then you will probably need to bin the card (assuming a different card fixes the issue)
Old 4th of November 2012 (Sun)   #6
CobraGT40

Just transferred files to my PC and formatted the card. Problem solved !

Thanks everyone !
Old 4th of November 2012 (Sun)   #7
CallumRD1

I had the same problem on my T3i/600D. It kept blinking whenever my 16gb card was in the camera (it wasn't full). Once I took all of the pictures off the card, the light stopped blinking. I don't know what the problem was, but it didn't last once the card was emptied.
CallumRD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of November 2012 (Sun)   #8
apersson850
Cream of the Crop

It seems that when you put in a card, which already contains images, in cameras that are new enough to allow RAW development in-camera, the camera builds a database of applicable files on the card. It knows immediately if there is any RAW to develop, without scanning the card when you invoke that function. When you are taking pictures, the database is built as you shoot, but when a card with images is inserted, it takes a while to do it.
This has baffled some 7D users, who upgraded to version 2 as well.
Old 4th of November 2012 (Sun)   #9
Keebert

This happens to me on my 60D when the card has a fair number of shots on it (but not necessarily close to full). I have searched and searched and found nothing on this issue and it doesn't do anything other than annoy with the blinking. Of course, it goes away when I delete the files or format the card and will come back after I start filling the card up.

I suspect it's something to do with the fact that these cameras are not used to the 32GB and larger card sizes that are commonly available these days. Other than the blinking, everything else works as it should.