Thread started 12 Nov 2012 (Monday) 23:21   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Mark-B
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
2,231 posts
Louisiana
[MORE/SHARE]

In what seems to be a very disturbing trend of me dropping my gear on the concrete, my tripod hit the pavement tonight (it was a 5D2 & 17-40 last month). I was using an Induro AT213 tripod with the BHL1 ball head.

I had just taken off the camera and folded up the tripod. I had a Think Tank Retrospective on one shoulder and a camera hanging on the other shoulder. I laid the tripod across the top of the camera bag then raised up the camera to make a quick adjustment. The tripod fell when I did this and dropped about 3 1/2 feet to the ground. It hit head first with impact on one corner and on the locking knob. The pressure on the locking knob pushed it downward and broke a piece off from the bottom of the head.

Surely this is defective manufacturing and not user error, right? That's what I'm telling Induro anyway. We'll see how that goes!

IMAGE: http://www.msbphoto.com/img/s1/v54/p1263520834.jpg

Post #1, Nov 12, 2012 23:21:07

Mark-B
msbphoto.comexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
vsg28
Joined Aug 2012
493 posts
Houston, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

You will be lucky if they honor this honestly, warranty covers manufacturer defect only. I am hoping they still help you out anyway :)

Post #2, Nov 13, 2012 04:30:24

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon SX30 IS (modified for IR), Rokinon 14mm, Canon 24-105 L IS, Sigma 50mm, Canon 70-200 F/2.8 L IS II, Canon 100mm L IS, Kenko 1.4x Pro DG, Canon 2x II extender, Yongnuo YN-565EX, Induro CT414 with Induro BHL-3 and GHB-A

pterpm
Joined Oct 2012
86 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Wow,sorry to heard that. Just a few day a go, i drop my tripod on the concrete too, but lucky that i not mount my 7d ontop of that.feeeww. The ball head was crash a little bit but still useable. I have Vanguard SBH-250 and Manfrotto 190XPROB , the ball head was solid metal

Post #3, Nov 13, 2012 12:08:24

peter_n
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
2,177 posts
Boston, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

From your last two pictures it looks like the bottom of the clamp sheared off. I'd put this down to faulty manufacturing; it's probably a cast part which is why it sheared with the sudden force. If you're within the warranty period they should replace it.

Post #4, Nov 13, 2012 13:44:16

~Peter

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

Could be faulty manufacturing or just being hit with enough force.

Cast metals tend to do that if you hit it with sudden force. I'm not too surprised it broke, and IMO you should consider them generous if they replace it under warranty.

Post #5, Nov 13, 2012 14:37:06

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

sponsored links
Mark-B
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
2,231 posts
Louisiana
[MORE/SHARE]

Impact is not covered under warranty. They offered to fix it for $110, sell me a demo model with warranty for $113, or I could keep the broken one and buy myself a new one from B&H for $190.

Someone from Mac Group contacted me to write a blog post for the Induro website not long ago. I'm now trying to use that to my advantage and get this thing replaced for free or much cheaper than $113.

I've been very satisfied with the ball head, but don't want to pay since I just bought it a few months ago.

Post #6, Nov 13, 2012 16:12:39

Mark-B

Samgoit
Joined Sep 2006
822 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I would write back and ask it they would consider selling you just the QR mechanism sans plate. If it's like other heads, and it appears to be, it's a simple matter of one allen bolt and should be simplistic to change.

Post #7, Nov 13, 2012 17:01:53

luciddreamer
Joined Jun 2009
861 posts
NE Indiana
[MORE/SHARE]

Mark-B wrote in post #15241927external link
Impact is not covered under warranty. They offered to fix it for $110, sell me a demo model with warranty for $113, or I could keep the broken one and buy myself a new one from B&H for $190.

Someone from Mac Group contacted me to write a blog post for the Induro website not long ago. I'm now trying to use that to my advantage and get this thing replaced for free or much cheaper than $113.

I've been very satisfied with the ball head, but don't want to pay since I just bought it a few months ago.

Lets say I buy a brand new car then crash it in a few months. By your reasoning, the manufacturer should replace it because I don't want to pay for fixing it after only owning it a few months. I imagine the car makers would go out of business pretty quick that way.

Maybe you sell photos, if a customer burns them with a cigarette in a few months would you replace the photos because they only had them a few months? Would you consider their carelessness your fault and give them new ones for free? Shouldn't your photos be cigarette proof?

Seems to me you're the one being unreasonable, not the manufacturer. Sorry for your financial loss but it happens. I've dropped a few things myself but I didn't expect someone else to pay for my carelessness. Can't understand why you do.

Post #8, Nov 13, 2012 17:15:19

materialism ~
preoccupation with or emphasis on material objects, comforts, and considerations, with a disinterest in or rejection of spiritual, intellectual, or cultural values.

Samgoit
Joined Sep 2006
822 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I believe this is the same QR, and you get an extra plate. All cheaper than sending it to Induro.

http://www.amazon.com ...036&sr=1-3&keywords=QRT70external link

Edit: My mistake, they are different (no bubble level). I bet they are compatible, though. That should be easy to confirm.

Post #9, Nov 13, 2012 17:25:29 as a reply to luciddreamer's post 10 minutes earlier.

DavidR
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2008
1,498 posts
Titusville, Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

Samgoit wrote in post #15242075external link
I would write back and ask it they would consider selling you just the QR mechanism sans plate. If it's like other heads, and it appears to be, it's a simple matter of one allen bolt and should be simplistic to change.

+1.

Post #10, Nov 13, 2012 17:33:09

David
Feedback

johnf3f
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2010
1,859 posts
Wales
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't think they will cover this. However I recently bought one of these QR clamps and it's pretty good:http://www.ebay.co.uk ..._trksid=p3984.m1439​.l2649external link

Post #11, Nov 13, 2012 17:48:55

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links
adammazza
Joined Jul 2006
436 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

luciddreamer wrote in post #15242112external link
Lets say I buy a brand new car then crash it in a few months. By your reasoning, the manufacturer should replace it because I don't want to pay for fixing it after only owning it a few months. I imagine the car makers would go out of business pretty quick that way.

Maybe you sell photos, if a customer burns them with a cigarette in a few months would you replace the photos because they only had them a few months? Would you consider their carelessness your fault and give them new ones for free? Shouldn't your photos be cigarette proof?

Seems to me you're the one being unreasonable, not the manufacturer. Sorry for your financial loss but it happens. I've dropped a few things myself but I didn't expect someone else to pay for my carelessness. Can't understand why you do.

+1 you dropped it from 3+ feet on concrete...

Post #12, Nov 13, 2012 19:15:22

Canon 5Dm3, Fuji X100S
Canon 135mm L F/2, Canon 70-200mm L F/2.8 IS
Canon 24-105mm L F/4.0 IS
Sigma 35mm F/1.4, Sigma 50mm F/1.4, Sigma 85mm F/1.4

Mark-B
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
2,231 posts
Louisiana
[MORE/SHARE]

Samgoit wrote in post #15242075external link
I would write back and ask it they would consider selling you just the QR mechanism sans plate.

No, they won't, because they don't keep them in stock (this is the Mac Group) and there could be more damage than meets the eye.

If it's like other heads, and it appears to be, it's a simple matter of one allen bolt and should be simplistic to change.

Not so simple. I tried for about 15 minutes, then started to strip the bolt and bend the allen wrench. That thing's in there pretty good. I don't have anything to lose at this point, so I'll work on it more later. The guy on the phone told me I might not be able to do it by hand.

Samgoit wrote in post #15242133external link
I believe this is the same QR, and you get an extra plate. All cheaper than sending it to Induro.

http://www.amazon.com ...036&sr=1-3&keywords=QRT70external link

Thanks for the link. That should solve my problem if I can get the other one off.

Post #13, Nov 13, 2012 20:21:06

Mark-B

Mark-B
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
2,231 posts
Louisiana
[MORE/SHARE]

luciddreamer wrote in post #15242112external link
Seems to me you're the one being unreasonable

Who said anything about anyone being unreasonable? Not me. I just passed on the information I got from the service department.

Post #14, Nov 13, 2012 20:25:06

Mark-B

Samgoit
Joined Sep 2006
822 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Mark-B wrote in post #15242798external link
Not so simple. I tried for about 15 minutes, then started to strip the bolt and bend the allen wrench. That thing's in there pretty good. I don't have anything to lose at this point, so I'll work on it more later. The guy on the phone told me I might not be able to do it by hand.

It's thread locker. Try heating it while applying constant torque. A vise is basically a must. I've pulled a few QRs off. They certainly can be a ****. I just pulled a QR off a Benro. The thread locker was excessive to say the least.

Manfrotto, on the other hand, not a drop. Good on the Italians.

Post #15, Nov 13, 2012 20:36:47

LIST NEARBY THREADS
3,733 views & 0 likes for this thread
Broken Induro BHL1 Ball Head
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES