Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th of November 2012 (Thu)   #1
kpjsy

Default 3 Legged Thing X4 Eric Initial Impressions

When I first took this tripod out of the box and then the case, silica gel beads started falling out out because the packet had broken, leaving a mess to clean up.

The ball head had a sticky residue. It had been put together with too much lube. I don't know what kind of grease was used, but it wasn't a high quality one. I'm assuming that cold storage caused it to stiffen. As a result, the panning motion of the ball head was difficult to rotate. Give it a few hours, and it'll loosen up nicely. Alternatively, do yourself a favor and take apart the ball head, clean it well, and re-lube with your preferred grease.

A set of screws and washers that secures one of legs to the spider (or I guess furniture as 3LT likes to call it) kept coming lose. Moving the leg up and down caused the screws to undo themselves. This can be remedied with a couple drops of blue Loctite to hold it tight and maintain tension.

The angles that this tripod can be positioned is 23, 55, and 80 degrees. My old Manfrotto 055MF3 legs sat at 23 degrees as well, but because Eric is so light, the heavy ball head raised the center of balance, and I would've preferred a slightly wider stance at the tallest setting. I think later on, I want to ask 3LT to create a short center column or have the included extension tube have a bigger screw, so that I could the ball head and base (with a longer base to cover the spider screw completely) rest securely onto the spider ('furniture'), while being able to keep the spring loaded hook attached at the bottom. I don't have any really issues with the center column as is. I am 6'0" (183cm) tall, and at 23 degrees with the center column down, ball head, RRS L-plate, and Canon EOS 5D Mark II set at the horizontal position, the eyepiece is perfectly at eye level. I rest my camera bag on the hook, or if you find your bag too heavy, use bungee cord to help anchor the tripod via hook to your camera bag sitting on the ground. There's also an option stone bag for this tripod as well.

The last thing I want to point out, is that I wish there was another notch to lock the 23 degree setting in. However, if you have set the tension and the stance when setting it up correctly, you won't have any worries about the legs folding in while moving positions.

Bought on clearance for $359.

The only thing good I can say is that the ball head locks securel. It holds up Canon EOS 5D Mark II with Canon EF 50mm f1.2L USM or Canon EF 35mm f1.4L USM lens with ease, but the tension knob collar function is questionable. Doesn't do anything. Overall, with the right amount of care, it'll be a solid light-weight, versatile, tripod that was meant to be taken apart for self-maintenance.

However, I don't trust this tripod with my camera. Nope! No sir! Quickly filled out an RMA request online. There are not enough tripod spikes and stone bags to change my mind about that.

Should've ordered a Feisol 3441T and Markins Q3 Traveler without hesitation. Glad I got the "maybe I can go for a cheaper tripod" idea out of my system.

Happy note: Got my first L-plate... an RRS one USED. It's the best thing since sliced bread. Love it.
kpjsy is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 16th of November 2012 (Fri)   #2
dcains

Default Re: 3 Legged Thing X4 Eric Initial Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpjsy View Post

Should've ordered a Feisol 3441T and Markins Q3 Traveler without hesitation. Glad I got the "maybe I can go for a cheaper tripod" idea out of my system.

Happy note: Got my first L-plate... an RRS one USED. It's the best thing since sliced bread. Love it.
Indeed, you should have ordered the Feisol/Markins. Hip, clever marketing does not a good tripod make. Might want to post info this to your thread on FM, just as future reference for others facing the same choice.

dcains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of November 2012 (Fri)   #3
gtvone

Default Re: 3 Legged Thing X4 Eric Initial Impressions

Hi, thanks for your feedback, sorry it's not positive - we're a young company and working with feedback like this to make better gear.

For what its worth, I use Eric (X4) with a Gigapan Epic Pro / MKIII / 24-70 on top and have had no issues thus far... What specifically made you feel insecure about using it with your camera on top?

I'm independent to 3LeggedThing, but manage social media for them and have used their gear since the beginning.. It's not perfect, and we're taking feedback like this and using it to get closer to perfect, with a bit of quirky thrown in.

Again, thanks for the feedback.

--Simon