Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st of November 2012 (Wed)   #1
ZREXER

Default Corel Paintshop Pro X5 or Photoshop Elements 11?

I am looking for a simple to use, but decently featured photo editing program. I am just editing for my own amusement. My computer skills are reasonable, but I am looking for something that is very intuitive to use.

Based on my research I am down to Photoshop Elements 11 or Corel Painshop Pro X5 which in a comparison test was rated higher than Elements 11.

Any of you have any experience with Corel Paintshop Pro X5?
Old 21st of November 2012 (Wed)   #2
mrsmeredith

Default Re: Corel Paintshop Pro X5 or Photoshop Elements 11?

Well today you can get Corel Paintshop Pro X5 Ultimate for 39.99 which includes NIK Color Efex Pro 3.0 filters and REALLUSION FaceFilter Studio 2.0. Or you can get Paintshop Pro X5 for 29.99.

Use SAVEME20 coupon code for 20% off.
mrsmeredith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of November 2012 (Wed)   #3
isoMorphic
Goldmember

Got for Elements as Corel Paintshop has a long history of problems. They finally got most of the issues worked out in X5. But you never know what the next build may bring in terms of stability. Working with a set of tools you can depend on now and well into the distant future is a much smarter move.

Check the discussions here http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/09...iting-software
isoMorphic is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of November 2012 (Wed)   #4
doidinho
Goldmember

As far as simple and intuitive go you will have a tough time beating Lightroom. The downside to Lightroom is that you won't be able to do any retouching on the pixel level. Perhaps download the 30 day trial?
Old 23rd of November 2012 (Fri)   #5
tonylong
....winded

If you've had some experience with "editing for my own amusement" using free photo editing software and want to move up to the next "level", well I typically recommend Photoshop Elements, not that I dislike the Corel products (I haven't used one for several years) but because Elements inherits so much from the "standard" Photoshop in terms of features and also in terms of support resources and an active user "community". It enables "simple" basic adjustments, and then has pretty powerful tools for the more advanced stuff, including a "Basic" Raw processor if you want to dabble in Raw shooting, as well as a basic "organizer" with which you can get your collection in some kind of "order".
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of November 2012 (Sun)   #6
ScubaDude

I used Corel for many years. It's a good program and will give you all the basic editing functions. My only beef was that it crashed a lot, so save your work often.
ScubaDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of November 2012 (Sun)   #7
Moppie
iKirst

Quote:
Originally Posted by doidinho View Post
As far as simple and intuitive go you will have a tough time beating Lightroom. The downside to Lightroom is that you won't be able to do any retouching on the pixel level. Perhaps download the 30 day trial?

Since when was lightroom simple and intuitive?

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?
Moppie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of November 2012 (Sun)   #8
Trugga

I'm using PaintShop Pro X4 and I find it very stable with Windows 7 64 bit (Pentium Dual-Core E5300 2.6Ghz with 4GB) although it installed as an x86 application.

I've used Paint Shop Pro from it's early days and although the jump to the "x" series interface was a little strange, it all works quite intuitively.

I'll admit I've not used Elements, but I did try a Photoshop demo (comparable with PSPX4), but just did not get on with it, although I wanted to).

I do get the emails advertising to upgrade ot X5, but I'm quite content with X4.

Lawrence
Old 9th of January 2013 (Wed)   #9
Q5driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trugga View Post
I'm using PaintShop Pro X4 and I find it very stable with Windows 7 64 bit (Pentium Dual-Core E5300 2.6Ghz with 4GB) although it installed as an x86 application.

I've used Paint Shop Pro from it's early days and although the jump to the "x" series interface was a little strange, it all works quite intuitively.

I'll admit I've not used Elements, but I did try a Photoshop demo (comparable with PSPX4), but just did not get on with it, although I wanted to).

I do get the emails advertising to upgrade ot X5, but I'm quite content with X4.

Lawrence
I too have used Paint Shop since the very beginning (pre Corel) and have just upgraded to X5 on my new Win 8 Pro 64bit laptop.
My wife has just installed Adobe Elements 11 on her laptop (Win 7) and I must say I find Elements more intuitive and simpler to use than X5. In fact I may uninstall X5 and go with Elements
Q5driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of January 2013 (Thu)   #10
Braunstonbruce

I used Corel Paint Shops Pro X3 in the past which was fine for me as I had used PSP years ago. But now when I read articles in magazines about how to manipulate images etc they are almost always using Elements as their software programme.
So I changed to Elements 11 which I'm getting used to but I don't find it as intuitive to use. At least I can now try out some of the wizardry for myself without having to translate it into Corel speak first!
Braunstonbruce is offline   Reply With Quote