Corel Paintshop Pro X5 or Photoshop Elements 11?

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 21 Nov 2012 (Wednesday) 11:38   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

ZREXER
Joined Jan 2012
97 posts
Sherwood Park, Alberta
[MORE/SHARE]

I am looking for a simple to use, but decently featured photo editing program. I am just editing for my own amusement. My computer skills are reasonable, but I am looking for something that is very intuitive to use.

Based on my research I am down to Photoshop Elements 11 or Corel Painshop Pro X5 which in a comparison test was rated higher than Elements 11.

Any of you have any experience with Corel Paintshop Pro X5?

Post #1, Nov 21, 2012 11:38:33

T2i gripped / EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS / EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS / EF 50mm f/1.4 / SMC Takumar 50mm f/1.4 manual focus, Auto Takumar 135mm f3.5 manual focus, Sun YS-85 f4.5 85mm-210mm manual focus

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
mrsmeredith
Mostly Lurking
Joined Dec 2006
14 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Well today you can get Corel Paintshop Pro X5 Ultimate for 39.99 which includes NIK Color Efex Pro 3.0 filters and REALLUSION FaceFilter Studio 2.0. Or you can get Paintshop Pro X5 for 29.99.

Use SAVEME20 coupon code for 20% off.

Post #2, Nov 21, 2012 16:20:52

isoMorphic
Goldmember
Joined May 2008
2,090 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Got for Elements as Corel Paintshop has a long history of problems. They finally got most of the issues worked out in X5. But you never know what the next build may bring in terms of stability. Working with a set of tools you can depend on now and well into the distant future is a much smarter move.

Check the discussions here http://www.dpreview.co​m ...X5-image-editing-softwareexternal link

Post #3, Nov 21, 2012 17:34:40

doidinho
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2007
3,352 posts
Kenmore, Washington
[MORE/SHARE]

As far as simple and intuitive go you will have a tough time beating Lightroom. The downside to Lightroom is that you won't be able to do any retouching on the pixel level. Perhaps download the 30 day trial?

Post #4, Nov 21, 2012 17:48:59

Robert McCadden
My Flickrexternal link
MMexternal link
5DMKII, Rebel xti, 24-105 f/4L, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40.

tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

If you've had some experience with "editing for my own amusement" using free photo editing software and want to move up to the next "level", well I typically recommend Photoshop Elements, not that I dislike the Corel products (I haven't used one for several years) but because Elements inherits so much from the "standard" Photoshop in terms of features and also in terms of support resources and an active user "community". It enables "simple" basic adjustments, and then has pretty powerful tools for the more advanced stuff, including a "Basic" Raw processor if you want to dabble in Raw shooting, as well as a basic "organizer" with which you can get your collection in some kind of "order".

Post #5, Nov 23, 2012 11:40:03

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
ScubaDude
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2011
1,104 posts
Waveland, MS
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

I used Corel for many years. It's a good program and will give you all the basic editing functions. My only beef was that it crashed a lot, so save your work often.

Post #6, Nov 25, 2012 03:32:04

Canon [7D & BG-E7 grip] [T1i & BG-E5 grip] [400mm f/5.6L] [50mm f/1.8 II] [18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS]
Induro [AT313 tripod] [AM25 monopod] [GHB2 gimbal head]
My Flickr pageexternal link

Moppie
Joined Sep 2004
14,492 posts
Akarana, Aotearoa. (Kiwiland)
[MORE/SHARE]

doidinho wrote in post #15273792external link
As far as simple and intuitive go you will have a tough time beating Lightroom. The downside to Lightroom is that you won't be able to do any retouching on the pixel level. Perhaps download the 30 day trial?

Since when was lightroom simple and intuitive?

Post #7, Nov 25, 2012 03:47:35

flickrexternal link

Have you Calibrated your Monkey lately?

Trugga
Joined Jan 2011
530 posts
West Midands, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm using PaintShop Pro X4 and I find it very stable with Windows 7 64 bit (Pentium Dual-Core E5300 2.6Ghz with 4GB) although it installed as an x86 application.

I've used Paint Shop Pro from it's early days and although the jump to the "x" series interface was a little strange, it all works quite intuitively.

I'll admit I've not used Elements, but I did try a Photoshop demo (comparable with PSPX4), but just did not get on with it, although I wanted to).

I do get the emails advertising to upgrade ot X5, but I'm quite content with X4.

Lawrence

Post #8, Nov 25, 2012 05:10:01 as a reply to Moppie's post 1 hour earlier.

7D | Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 DC Macro OS | Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Canon 24-105 f4.0L IS USM | 70-200 f2.8L IS II USM | 100-400 f4.5-5.6L IS USM
- www.loz.pics -external link

Q5driver
Hatchling
Joined Nov 2010
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

Trugga wrote in post #15286035external link
I'm using PaintShop Pro X4 and I find it very stable with Windows 7 64 bit (Pentium Dual-Core E5300 2.6Ghz with 4GB) although it installed as an x86 application.

I've used Paint Shop Pro from it's early days and although the jump to the "x" series interface was a little strange, it all works quite intuitively.

I'll admit I've not used Elements, but I did try a Photoshop demo (comparable with PSPX4), but just did not get on with it, although I wanted to).

I do get the emails advertising to upgrade ot X5, but I'm quite content with X4.

Lawrence

I too have used Paint Shop since the very beginning (pre Corel) and have just upgraded to X5 on my new Win 8 Pro 64bit laptop.
My wife has just installed Adobe Elements 11 on her laptop (Win 7) and I must say I find Elements more intuitive and simpler to use than X5. In fact I may uninstall X5 and go with Elements

Post #9, Jan 09, 2013 11:05:24

Braunstonbruce
Hatchling
Joined Nov 2011
1 post
Braunston UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I used Corel Paint Shops Pro X3 in the past which was fine for me as I had used PSP years ago. But now when I read articles in magazines about how to manipulate images etc they are almost always using Elements as their software programme.
So I changed to Elements 11 which I'm getting used to but I don't find it as intuitive to use. At least I can now try out some of the wizardry for myself without having to translate it into Corel speak first!

Post #10, Jan 10, 2013 18:27:41 as a reply to Q5driver's post 1 day earlier.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
13,363 views & 0 likes for this thread
Corel Paintshop Pro X5 or Photoshop Elements 11?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES