gratchie
Joined Apr 2009
956 posts
Los Angeles, California
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi,

I wanted to get a telescope for the hubby, was thinking of something like this:

http://www.amazon.com ...e=UTF8&smid=ATVPDKI​KX0DERexternal link

Is it possible to attach a camera to telescopes like this? What kind of adapter should I get? He's got a 60D.

thanks,

-g

Post #1, Nov 24, 2012 09:29:14

GearList || Canon 5D Mark III | 24L II | 135L | 70-300L | 24-105L | 600 EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | RX100M2
Full Gear List and Feedback || growingthompy.tumblr.c​omexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
atmenterprises
Joined Sep 2008
46 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't know much about that scope but my biggest concern would be if it could hold the weight of a camera body attached to the back and if the focus tube would allow the camera to focus. Looks like it takes standard 1.25" eyepieces, so you'd need a 1.25" t-adapter and a t-ring specific for Canon EOS. The t-ring would connect to the camera body like a lens would connect, the t-adapter would screw into the t-ring and the other end would slide into the telescope.

T-Adapterexternal link

T-Ringexternal link

Again, I don't know if that scope would hold the weight of the camera or if he could even focus the image on the camera, but I believe those two pieces I linked to above would allow you to connect a 60D. Any pictures you take with this scope are going to be limited to those of the moon or maybe planets.

Post #2, Nov 25, 2012 18:30:47

the ­ jimmy
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2009
1,351 posts
west coast of Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

This scope is really for visual use only, if he was able to attach his camera I believe it would be an exercise in frustration. Even a low end, decent quality scope for astro photography is going to cost a lot more.

Post #3, Nov 26, 2012 17:14:16 as a reply to atmenterprises's post 22 hours earlier.

R2duBot
Joined Jul 2011
90 posts
Beer City, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

That scope has a 900mm focal length. Without any tracking, all you can really take pictures of is the moon, maybe some planets. I think that scope is more for viewing than astrophotography. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't like it!;) Half of learning astrophotography is learning astronomy.

Post #4, Nov 28, 2012 20:51:56 as a reply to the jimmy's post 2 days earlier.

gratchie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2009
956 posts
Los Angeles, California
[MORE/SHARE]

I ended up getting him this model instead. It's got an equitorial mount so I hope this works out better...

http://www.amazon.com ...7925&sr=1-1&keywords=90EQexternal link

Post #5, Nov 28, 2012 20:59:30

GearList || Canon 5D Mark III | 24L II | 135L | 70-300L | 24-105L | 600 EX-RT | ST-E3-RT | RX100M2
Full Gear List and Feedback || growingthompy.tumblr.c​omexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
972 views & 0 likes for this thread
celestron camera mount
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Astronomy & Celestial Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES