Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Astronomy and Celestial Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th of November 2012 (Sat)   #1
gratchie

Default celestron camera mount

Hi,

I wanted to get a telescope for the hubby, was thinking of something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Is it possible to attach a camera to telescopes like this? What kind of adapter should I get? He's got a 60D.

thanks,

-g

Full Gear List and Feedback
|| growingthompy.tumblr.com
gratchie is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 25th of November 2012 (Sun)   #2
atmenterprises

Default Re: celestron camera mount

I don't know much about that scope but my biggest concern would be if it could hold the weight of a camera body attached to the back and if the focus tube would allow the camera to focus. Looks like it takes standard 1.25" eyepieces, so you'd need a 1.25" t-adapter and a t-ring specific for Canon EOS. The t-ring would connect to the camera body like a lens would connect, the t-adapter would screw into the t-ring and the other end would slide into the telescope.

T-Adapter

T-Ring

Again, I don't know if that scope would hold the weight of the camera or if he could even focus the image on the camera, but I believe those two pieces I linked to above would allow you to connect a 60D. Any pictures you take with this scope are going to be limited to those of the moon or maybe planets.
atmenterprises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of November 2012 (Mon)   #3
the jimmy

This scope is really for visual use only, if he was able to attach his camera I believe it would be an exercise in frustration. Even a low end, decent quality scope for astro photography is going to cost a lot more.
the jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of November 2012 (Wed)   #4
R2duBot

That scope has a 900mm focal length. Without any tracking, all you can really take pictures of is the moon, maybe some planets. I think that scope is more for viewing than astrophotography. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't like it! Half of learning astrophotography is learning astronomy.
Old 28th of November 2012 (Wed)   #5
gratchie

I ended up getting him this model instead. It's got an equitorial mount so I hope this works out better...

http://www.amazon.com/Celestron-2106...&keywords=90EQ

Full Gear List and Feedback
|| growingthompy.tumblr.com
gratchie is offline   Reply With Quote