Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Pets
Thread started 24 Nov 2012 (Saturday) 21:54
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Belgian Malinois picture thread!

Jedi5150
363 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Central CA
Nov 24, 2012 21:54 |  #1

Hello all, I know there have been a few Malinois threads in the past, but I'd love to have a single, easy to find thread specifically for this great breed. For those not familiar with the Malinois (also refered to as the "maligator", or simply "Mal". Pronounced "malinwah"), it is one of four subtypes of the Belgian Shepherd breed. The four subtypes consist of the Malinois, Groenendael (aka "Belgian Sheepdog"), Tervuren, and Laekenois. All of them are slightly smaller than the German Shepherd Dog, with males averaging about 70 lbs and females about 60. All four can be excellent working dogs, and the Malinois in specific has become extremely popular as a military and law enforcement patrol K9, with numbers equalling the ubiquitous German Shepherd in this role.

On to the pictures. I'm a law enforcement K9 handler, and this first picture is of Ari, my partner for the past two years. Ari is a cross breed from the Czech Republic, half Malinois and half GSD. He is currently recovering from ACL surgery, and stuck at home while i'm working. Ari and I are a narcotics detection team and dual-certified in patrol as well. He has a number of felony street apprehensions under his belt.

IMAGE: http://maligator.smugmug.com/Other/Ari/i-G8FGk3F/0/L/IMG0072a-XL-L.jpg

Ari on vacation at Bonneville, UT...
IMAGE: http://maligator.smugmug.com/Other/UtahJune2010/i-3nqXtGZ/0/L/IMG_1256-L.jpg

Next up is Thor, a Malinois from Holland. We owned Thor for a year and a half, after he was retired from two different law enforcement agencies in California. Thor was a proven street patrol K9, who had too gentle a soul for police work, and is no longer with us. RIP Thor. :cry:
IMAGE: http://maligator.smugmug.com/Pets/VixenThor/i-JDgVdWZ/1/XL/IMG_0664-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://maligator.smugmug.com/Pets/VixenThor/i-zwWJJxH/1/L/IMG_0043-L.jpg

sponsored links
Jedi5150
THREAD ­ STARTER
363 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Central CA
Nov 24, 2012 21:54 |  #2

Continued...

Last we come to Vixen, the only Malinois we've had since puppyhood. She is now 6 years old, and the love of our life. Vixen has never been a working dog, however, she is dual certified in both patrol and narcotics detection. Incidentally, These recent photos of Vixen are the first "moving subject" photos I've ever taken, and I'd like to improve. So when it comes to critique, fire away! :lol:

IMAGE: http://maligator.smugmug.com/Other/Thanksgiving-2012/i-rNwp8Zq/0/X2/Vixen%20Von%20Falconer-X2.jpg

I thought I'd play around with post processing a bit more on this one. I changed it to B&W and then warmed it up just a hair. I kind of like how it came out. My Mom's Labradoodle, "Benni" rounds out the bokeh.
IMAGE: http://maligator.smugmug.com/Other/Thanksgiving-2012/i-4SCGKdN/0/XL/Dog%20Race%20BW-XL.jpg

And finally, Vixen with her "war face" on...she's actually a sweetheart...
IMAGE: http://maligator.smugmug.com/Other/Thanksgiving-2012/i-WM2nTn7/0/XL/scary%20Vixen-XL.jpg

abbypanda
Goldmember
1,804 posts
Joined Nov 2011
Nov 25, 2012 00:43 |  #3

that pic where he's coming straight at the camera is nice! Very vibrant eyes.

rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
19,029 posts
Gallery: 38 photos
Joined May 2012
U.S.A.
Nov 25, 2012 00:46 as a reply to abbypanda's post |  #4

Beautiful shots...Lovely dogs.

Mark

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,627 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Nov 25, 2012 06:52 |  #5

love that first shot of Vixen, these dogs look like they mean business

Pasquatch
882 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Upstate
Nov 25, 2012 11:46 as a reply to rick_reno's post |  #6

Took this the other day... not my dog

http://smg.beta.photob​ucket.com .../Atti.jpg.html?sort​=3&o=0 (external link)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Jedi5150
THREAD ­ STARTER
363 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Central CA
Nov 25, 2012 12:32 |  #7

rick_reno wrote in post #15286147external link
love that first shot of Vixen, these dogs look like they mean business

Thanks for all the kind words, folks! Rick, you hit on something that people should probably know about Mals...they don't often make the best pets, especially for someone who may only want a companion animal, but can't devote a lot of time to working with it. A busy Malinois is a happy Malinois. They thrive when they have a job to do, be it agility, schutzhund, detection work, patrol work, Search And Rescue, herding, etc. They are a very intense and driven breed, much like a Border Collie or Queensland Heeler. But like a lot of things in life, if you are dedicated, they are extremely rewarding.

Pasquatch, thanks for posting the bite work picture! I have a feeling we'll be seeing more bite work on a Malinois thread. :lol: ...Incidentally, I hope that's just a jogging suit the agitator is wearing...It sure doesn't look like it'd protect much if the dog went for something other than the sleeve. :eek:

Playm
991 posts
Joined Mar 2008
CA Sierras
Nov 30, 2012 11:29 |  #8

The bite work is always fun to watch. The photo below was shot in Stockton, CA.. (from quite a ways away, unfortunately). .. wish it was better.

IMAGE: http://i190.photobucket.com/albums/z246/Donalyn06/xDog%20Shows%202011/SM-9994.jpg

Jedi5150
THREAD ­ STARTER
363 posts
Joined Oct 2012
Central CA
Nov 30, 2012 16:31 as a reply to Playm's post |  #9

That's a good looking Mal.

Just a slight nitpick, but I don't let anybody in uniform agitate/ decoy for my dog. The last thing I want is for him to think that uniforms are edible like bad guys. :lol: In high stress and fast moving situations, it's hard enough as it is to keep the mouth aimed towards the suspect (my boy has two bites on fellow cops already).

Gizmo1137
960 posts
Joined Feb 2009
Phoenix, AZ
Nov 30, 2012 19:48 as a reply to Jedi5150's post |  #10

Here are a few I did recently at a regional K9 competition. The first 3 are self explanatory, the last one the dog was sniffing for drugs.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Best, Bruce

TRACER
96 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Nov 30, 2012 21:20 as a reply to Gizmo1137's post |  #11

Here's a few from a demo I photgraphed.
If you look closely in the driver side of the car you can see the "bad guy" waiting:)
Randall

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Randall
7D,Tamron 70-300 F/4-5.6 Di VC USD; Canon 15-85

MDJAK
Cream of the Crop
24,609 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Nov 2004
New York
Dec 01, 2012 06:33 |  #12

Awesome dogs. Thank you for your service.

Playm
991 posts
Joined Mar 2008
CA Sierras
Dec 13, 2012 17:42 |  #13

Jedi5150 wrote in post #15309721external link
That's a good looking Mal.

Just a slight nitpick, but I don't let anybody in uniform agitate/ decoy for my dog. The last thing I want is for him to think that uniforms are edible like bad guys. :lol: In high stress and fast moving situations, it's hard enough as it is to keep the mouth aimed towards the suspect (my boy has two bites on fellow cops already).

Now that you mention it, it makes a lot of sense.
I imagine that, in that photo, it was the officer's dog. .. but I don't know. (you'd think he'd know better)
I can't remember if they had any other guys in the more 'generic' bite suits or not.

flipcrab85
Joined Oct 2009
Sep 03, 2013 10:50 as a reply to Playm's post |  #14

Here are a few...she didn't like the fact i was pointing a gun at her :)

HTTP response: 403 | MIME changed to 'text/plain'

HOSTED PHOTO

Nikon D4, D3s, Nikkor 28-70 2.8, Nikkor 80-200 2.8 af-s, Sigma 50 1.4, Sigma 14mm 2.8

Seamus69
Joined Nov 2010
Pensacola
Sep 06, 2013 07:14 |  #15

Nice doggie. Want a cookie?

Canon 60D, 5Diii, 24-105, 24-70ii, 70-200 f2.8 ii is, 580ex, (2)430ex

sponsored links

16,656 views & 20 likes for this thread
Belgian Malinois picture thread!
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Pets

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.