Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 25 Nov 2012 (Sunday) 12:04
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Transfer of Adobe programs between computers

2slo
Cream of the Crop
6,382 posts
Gallery: 534 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 25, 2012 12:04 |  #1

I currently have PS elements 10, bought new and registered with Adobe, so far so good. I'm likely to buy a new computer within the next 6 months and would also like to upgrade to CS6. I had been tempted to buy CS6 earlier and then transfer the program onto the new computer when I get it (which would have the same email account and ISP which I currently use). I had assumed that this would be similar to programs such as Microsoft office (where you buy a licence for up to 3 computers) or some other programs which allow a reinstall following a crash or change of machine.
Comments i've read recently however suggest I'd be wasting my money as Adobe apparently expect me to pay for the software again when I get a new computer and, on the same basis, when my current computer gets binned is my copy of elements 10 non transferable? This seems ridiculous if true as I'm not selling the software or passing it on to anyone else, I would just be reinstalling it on a new machine for my own continued use. Anyone had experience of this or know what the truth of the matter is?

Seapup
Goldmember
2,728 posts
Joined Aug 2012

Nov 25, 2012 13:56 |  #2

Make sure you have an internet connection, then deactivate your product on your old computer before loading onto your new computer. Look at the menu, top of window... Help>Deactivate

I've also called the Adobe help line to re-register products on replacement computers (re-installation after HD crash).

Canon 5D2 | 60D | A620 | SD850 IS | SD4000 IS
Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 | 17-55 f/2.8 IS | 50 f/1.4 | 100 f/2.8L Macro IS | 70-200 f/2.8L IS II | 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L IS

Rob ­ Gough
28 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Nov 25, 2012 14:16 |  #3

The advice above about deactivating on the old machine and reinstalling on the new machine is the process to follow. If things go wrong Adobe may still be able to sort things out.

I have CS5 installed on a desktop and laptop. I had a nightmare when installing encryption on the laptop and the disk was wiped losing all the content of the disk. I could do a factory reinstall and reinstall the data but of course had to reload software. The CS5 would not allow me to register as the two licence count would be exceeded. However, I went on to the Adobe website and engaged in web chat, explained the situation and it was solved in minutes and the software activated and reregistered.

I had the same situation with MS Office with the number of licences being exceeded but got nowhere - no chance of making contact with Microsoft by email, phone or web chat and ended up having to buy another copy of MS Office Professional. So full marks to Adobe and no marks to Microsoft. So, if you have doubts maybe try the web chat if you need specific advice

2slo
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,382 posts
Gallery: 534 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2011

Nov 25, 2012 14:23 as a reply to  @ Rob Gough's post |  #4

Thank you both. Common sense prevails. That's what I was hoping and I'll confirm with Adobe before I proceed.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

795 views & 0 likes for this thread
Transfer of Adobe programs between computers
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.