Printing Dye sub vs inkjet

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 28 Nov 2012 (Wednesday) 20:41   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

mikeCL
Joined Mar 2012
207 posts
Connecticut
[MORE/SHARE]

So I own a dye sub printer which I've had about 3 years now a Hiti 730 I've done 4x6 5X7 and 6X7

So given the larger sizes are getting hard to find (why?) but not 4X6 it had me thinking about using a inkjet again.. In this case I used to use my canon I960 but I was thinking about getting a Epson artisan 730..

I still may get the epson regardless because of the scanner and wifi printing but the subject of dye sub vs inkjet still has me wondering.. I have a Christmas shoot at a hotel in Dec so I'd need to get the supplies before hand.

So what do you think?

Post #1, Nov 28, 2012 20:41:01

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tricky500
Joined Sep 2010
424 posts
Overland, MO.
[MORE/SHARE]

I think dye sublimation is going the way of the dinosaur because of the progress that is being made with inkjets. Inkjets are much more flexible with different media's in general (most require no special coatings on the paper) and the dithering of the dot is getting more accurate and finer so apparent sharpness of images is increased. With inkjets there is less waste in regards to materials/ink and dye sub printers can pose security threats as the pictures they've printed are etched into the ribbons they use something akin to film negatives.

Post #2, Nov 29, 2012 00:45:27

- Paul

René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

tricky500 wrote in post #15302958external link
I think dye sublimation is going the way of the dinosaur because of the progress that is being made with inkjets.

Agree, except for event printing, where you need lot's of prints fast

I don't think there's a photo quality inkjet on the market will print a 4x6 in 8 seconds flat or an 8x10" in about half a minute.

Post #3, Dec 01, 2012 08:20:51

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

FeXL
Joined Dec 2007
476 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

We do event photography with inkjets and have done so since '05. We started out just printing 8x10's on an Epson R800. It broke while under warranty, rec'd a new printer from Epson, used it for a couple more years. Decided that 11x14's might be an asset, purchased an R1800 and ran the wheels off of it for a few years. Last year we replaced it with an Epson R2000. Great printer.

There are at least two schools of thought regarding event photography. One is high output, smaller prints churned out on a dye sub with little/no postprocessing.

The one that we always subscribed to is pricier, higher quality, multiple images per print (up to 9), custom layout, slower, inkjet prints. Our prints are 8x10's and 11x14's that range from $25 to $65. We can gross $300+/hr with a very good looking glossy or luster product, clear coated and suitable for framing.

Some of you from the US market may smile at those #'s but, trust me, in Canuckistan's sports market that ain't bad.

We will occasionally lose a sale due to the wait but we find most clients are willing to put some time in for a higher end product. I've never seen a dye-sub print that comes close to our inkjet versions in either finish or color accuracy and I don't know of any that will produce an 11x14.

Post #4, Dec 01, 2012 13:22:51 as a reply to René Damkot's post 5 hours earlier.

Gym ­ Star ­ Photos
Joined Mar 2009
138 posts
Plano, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

As everyone knows, the debate will go on for quite some time, but this is my $.02 with my experience with the Epson Artisan 730...

We used them starting last year for our onsite printing at events. First the bad. They are big, bulky and a pain to lug around. That's it for the bad.

The good.... they have 2 paper trays which we put 8x10 and 4x6 in one & 8x10 and 5x7 in the other (we always had 2 or more running...) For ink, I bought a few CIS ink systems on ebay ( $20 each if I remember correctly???) which came full of ink. I could easily pull 2K prints out of a CIS system without refills ( we printed more 5x7 and 4x6 than 8x10s ). As far as quality, I printed the same prints with Epson ink and the CIS ink and nobody could tell the difference. Actually, more people liked the CIS ink prints than the Epson ink prints ( all prints on Epson paper ). As it was mentioned before, the wireless was nice if we wanted to go wireless at some events. The Epson Artisan 730 boasts a 4x6 print speed of 10 seconds, but that is once it wakes up and starts printing. Overall, they worked great for us and since we had 2 or more running, they never caused us a bottleneck.

I even bought a couple more to keep in the house full time. Luckily, I got all of mine when they were on sale for $99 each.

Lance.

Post #5, Dec 02, 2012 19:50:56

sponsored links
yipDog ­ Studios
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
1,579 posts
Mesa, AZ
[MORE/SHARE]

Well this is certainly an interesting thread as I'm scheduled to do a huge event in March and have no printer yet!!
I was thinking the dye sub would work best as they only want 5x7 but to buy 2 printers and media isn't exactly cheap. I do have several other gigs later into next year but if the media is gonna get hard to find I need to look harder at inkjet.
What I can't stand about my current inkjet (cheap Canon) is how quickly it burns through ink when printing pictures or DVD inserts or other heavy color full page pieces.
I guess some research is in order!
Are you folks with ink jets using a computer at the event? Or can certain ink jets take a CF card directly? Newbie at event printing so forgive the stupid questions!

Post #6, Dec 02, 2012 20:21:09

www.yipdogstudios.comexternal link http://yipdog.smugmug.​comexternal link
1Dx, 5D mk3, 70D, C100, glass for all occasions, and a studio full of support gear!

Gym ­ Star ­ Photos
Joined Mar 2009
138 posts
Plano, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

We use computers at our events, but the Epson Artisan 730 can print from CF & SD cards. I forgot to mention earlier I love how our CDs and DVDs come out also. Even though it is a slow process, I print all of our CDs and DVDs with the 730.

Lance.

Post #7, Dec 03, 2012 23:43:16

yipDog ­ Studios
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
1,579 posts
Mesa, AZ
[MORE/SHARE]

Gym Star Photos wrote in post #15323440external link
We use computers at our events, but the Epson Artisan 730 can print from CF & SD cards. I forgot to mention earlier I love how our CDs and DVDs come out also. Even though it is a slow process, I print all of our CDs and DVDs with the 730.

Lance.

Thanks for the info!

Printing on discs would be handy too. Don't do it often anymore but every once in a while...

I'm thinking of using the Ethernet capability of the 1Dx to tether to the computer then print from that and have a couple of 730's hooked up to bounce between.

Will test the theory in a couple of days!

Post #8, Dec 04, 2012 10:52:23

1Dx, 5D mk3, 70D, C100, glass for all occasions, and a studio full of support gear!

drcig
Joined Nov 2012
22 posts
MN
[MORE/SHARE]

Those I know in the T shirt image transfer business use them quite a bit. Epson printers and refillable ink from: www.cobraink.comexternal link It cuts the cost of ink in half for those that print a lot.

Post #9, Dec 04, 2012 13:18:41

yipDog ­ Studios
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2012
1,579 posts
Mesa, AZ
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks!!

Just ordered a 730 to test. Also finished the Ethernet test direct from 1Dx to the MacBook Pro. Had I read the instructions it might have taken less than the 3 minutes I spent getting it to work. EOS Utility runs great and linked to the Image browser software prints on my "cheapie" printer perfectly!
So excited for the speed this system provides.

Post #10, Dec 04, 2012 13:56:20

ShotByTom
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
2,650 posts
Indianapolis
[MORE/SHARE]

I used a computer with an eyefi card in my camera and it worked great with my Epson 835. Unfortunately we had a storm kick up and I think I got a bunch of dirt inside and clogged the black head. I just bought an 837 and love it!

Post #11, Dec 04, 2012 20:20:16

Gear
Websiteexternal link

sponsored links
mikeCL
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2012
207 posts
Connecticut
[MORE/SHARE]

Well I will be getting a Epson 730 to try out too I have a event on Dec 22 at a hotel I can't say for sure how busy it's going to be..

Post #12, Dec 08, 2012 09:15:13

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,072 views & 0 likes for this thread
Printing Dye sub vs inkjet
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES