Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 30 Nov 2012 (Friday) 18:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Use your camera to create slit camera (slit-scan or timeline) images.

zackdezon
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Aug 2017
Aug 30, 2017 07:48 |  #151

Hi, Martin! Thanks so much for creating this wonderful program. I've already used it to create a series of 'portraits' I'm very happy with:

http://www.zackdezon.c​om/pareidolia/ (external link)

I have a similar question to chelioz from earlier, as I've been wrestling with the question of 'why is it that analog slitscan processes are so much easier to get high-speed results with than digital?' Since film doesn't have a 'framerate' to deal with, just the speed at which you pull the film across the sensor, that's obviously a big reason. But I also realized that analog slit-scan cameras don't have to deal with the problems caused by 'slit perfection,' as your 1-pixel-at-a-time algorithm creates. Analog slits are never going to be small enough to hit only one grain of emulsion per unit motion.

So, my question would be, as a non-programmer—is there a way to 'widen' our digital slit at all? In my imagination, it would involve first pulling more than 1 pixel per frame (as many as 10-30 I imagine would still represent a pretty narrow slit given a 4K vertical dimension) and then overlaying some percentage of those pixels (perhaps with an 'addition' blending mode—this would require underexposing the original video to wind up with a correct exposure) frame by frame.

Would love to hear your thoughts.

Martin ­ Dixon
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2009
Ealing
Aug 31, 2017 11:28 as a reply to zackdezon's post |  #152

My program can't get finer resolution than the framerate. You can use photoeditor to expand an image in the time dimension, though you obviously lose resolution.

I did think some kind of averaging would improve image quality - in fact I coded this in the original , but it made no noticable difference - see post:

Martin Dixon wrote in post #18012955 (external link)
clelioz, I can't see how you can get over the framerate limitation. For your purpose I think you would need a camera with fast framerate option......

You could replicate an analogue camera using a scanner type sensor (linear image sensor) which is just one line of pixels and can be read at far higher framerates than full image sensors. My guess is that after some research this wouldn't be very hard to do or that expensive if you have some techy interest. Presumably then you can conentrate more light using a prism lens if needed (that being the"widening" you speak of.

I have some idea that "Magic Lantern" alternative software for Canon cameras might possibly find faster framrates using unusual frame sizes but I havem't looked at that for a while.

I did think of some crazy ideas using mirrors and multipe "slits" so you could pick up fractions of a frame as it information is read raster fashion, line by line - but I think this is likely the hard way to do it.

Let me know if you take up the challenge!

flickrexternal link Editing OKexternal link

35,782 views & 11 likes for this thread
Use your camera to create slit camera (slit-scan or timeline) images.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.